MMSI Bandit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My MMSI is 367636660
Let me throw this curious piece in the mix (that may have nothing to do with anything). Your MMSI falls into a block allocated to COMSAT as the registering organization. That said, all MMSIs issued by the FCC end in zero.

Here's the curious part: "MMSIs allotted to COMSAT and Stratos (now Inmarsat) were for the purpose of commissioning legacy Inmarsat terminals and should be returned to the FCC when no longer in use."

Again, could very well have nothing to do with anything but there it is.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/MMSI_Allotments.pdf

I think that the picture on Vessel Finder is actually my 1979 Ocean Alexander Mk1 When I go to Boat Beacon app, I see that the other Dream Weaver is located at the end of a dock in the east basin, almost opposite the Wind and Sea restaurant.

When is the last time anyone on here used an MMSI?

Not talking about SAR, just wondering.

Answer: Over five years ago when my brother and I had our two GB42s side by side with a total of five radios with our MMSIs properly installed. We had Icom, Uniden, and Standard Horizon as a minimum.

Analysis: Different brand radios were handing the series of Pos request/reports and Individual calls in different ways or NOT AT ALL! It was so confusing and radio dependent that use of those functions was deemed too undependable for ANY use whatsoever. We can only HOPE the SAR function works.

I'm surprised as all AIS transmitters have to be pre programmed with the proper information before they can be installed. Maybe somehow when they installed the one on the other boat they owner gave them the wrong information. The boat name could just be someone with a boat by the same name The other information such as the MMSI should not match your vessel. There are two ways for AIS to be installed on a vessel. For just domestic use I believe BOATUS can set it up, and maybe since you have done yours with the FCC route for international use, somehow BOAT US programmed the other transmitter wrong. If you ever get in contact with the other boat you might be able to sort it out. If they also have an FCC licence, then the manufacture of the AIS screwed up the programming somehow, and maybe if you ask them about it they can fix it. It would be nice if you and the other boat owner could compare the programming information that you had to give the vendor when you got your units.

I got confirmation from someone on the same dock in Dana Point that Dream Weaver is indeed there.

Other that an desire to solve the mystery, I think you are correct that the easiest solution is to ask the FCC to assign you a different MMSI and move on.

If you did an internet search on “MMSI lookup” you would link to a search engine. You enter the MMSI number in the appropriate field. That is the only info required. Hit the search button in the lower right hand corner. The results are as follows and includes his station license call sign.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3623713

0A7C63B4-445F-46D3-A302-A81D3E2EE466.jpg

Hope this helps you and anyone else who is interested. You can run but you can’t hide from the feds...

PS - is it possible that *your* MMSI number was programmed incorrectly?

PPS - I just searched on “my” number and got a shock! Not mine! Then I thought of Occam’s Razor so I searched on my call sign and learned I had transposed two numbers when copying info to a boat info sheet and my contacts info on my phone. My simple error and the most likely source! Might not be a bad idea to check yours!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input from everyone. I’m going to just get a new ships station MMSI and move on. I’ll update this when I determine what steps I need to go thru with my equipment. I have a full suite of Raymarine that was installed by Fred Fritz in Petaluma when I lived in Sacramento area. He has been stellar in any follow up questions on my system. I should be whole again shortly.

John Parvis

I was talking to a friend and it turns out this exact same thing happened to him. Two different boats, same name, same MMSI. So it would appear there is a loophole in the MMSI assignment process.

I was talking to a friend and it turns out this exact same thing happened to him. Two different boats, same name, same MMSI. So it would appear there is a loophole in the MMSI assignment process.

When I was a kid, my father decided it was time for me to have a checking account and learn how to manage it and write checks. (Yes, I remember checks, those things we had in ancient days). I was about 12 I think. Well, he took me to a bank that he had no accounts and no business with as he didn't want to get our accounts confused since we had the same name.

He was later convinced by his bank that he was being silly in worrying, that everything was handled by account number. So when I was about 15, moved my account to his bank. Then one afternoon I got a bank statement. Suddenly, I had a deposit of over $3000. I went to him and it was his. He was about to be overdrawn. The bank still said it couldn't happen, but it did. So none of this surprises me.

It's simply amazing to me that they could design a number that's supposed to be a unique identifier...and then re-use it so soon. Especially considering the ugly implications with regard to rescue. I know they re-use social security numbers. Apparently, there's better control over the social security number system...

I know it's tangential to the topic of discussion, but, at least in the US, the government emphatically does not re-use social security numbers. The government even has a website where you can look up if a social security number belongs to a dead person, in order to help combat fraud.

I know it's tangential to the topic of discussion, but, at least in the US, the government emphatically does not re-use social security numbers. The government even has a website where you can look up if a social security number belongs to a dead person, in order to help combat fraud.

But let's not forget how many times over the years Social Security has declared someone dead and then had them prove they were not. And proving it is much harder than you might think, not as simple as just walking in and showing them you're very much alive. Must then prove you are really you. Think of that a moment and how impossible it is unless you have finger prints or DNA. There have been cases in the past where it's taken many months for someone to prove they weren't dead.

Update sort of. I just got off the phone with the FCC. My registration is still good until 2024, and since I don't want to spend $160 and go thru the whole process for a new license, I asked if they could just provide me with a replacement MMSI. She did not know but was going to push it uphill to see if it could be done. Says that they will be back in touch in 1-3 working days.

On another note, my authorized Raymarine installer says he has the software to change the numbers. So, one way or the other, I will have a new number in the near future.

And on still another note, I had a friend punk the other guys Vessel Finder picture and replace the picture of my boat that he was using with a derelict boat that sunk in my marina and was hauled up on shore for disposal. Yes that was childish. The Covid made me do it!

Fletcher 500, since I'm moving on, no need to bother the other guy when you are in Dana Point. Thanks for offering.

jp

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom