Well, Screw That!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I would call them "finish carpenters", a large step above framers. ...

Not if you saw some of the tools they use.

For a long time there were very few female orthopedic surgeons. The work was considered to strenuous for a woman, especially before the widespread use of power tools.

Imagine doing a hip replacement on a 350# man. There's some heavy lifting involved.

This was neurosurgery - more ball peen than sledge! :)

As mentioned much earlier I had similar surgery 10 years ago. Follow the recovery instructions to the letter! When you begin physical therapy follow through on all of it.

My back is better 10 years after the procedure than it was 20 years before it. I did go back to my flooring business which is a stressor but still do my stretching and exercises at least 5 days per week. Moparharn hit the nail on the head "take it easy."

Rob

Sian took a photo of my back this morning!

Attachments

• backcrop1.jpg
    backcrop1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Congrats! Recovery looks much faster than the recovery in that other thread (Teak removal-aft deck) ;-)

If I am honest, those are some fine looking wounds you got there. The surgeon was obviously quite skilled to perform what he did through holes that small. I predict a good result provided the patient can follow advice and precaution. Looking good.Bill

If I am honest, those are some fine looking wounds you got there. The surgeon was obviously quite skilled to perform what he did through holes that small. I predict a good result provided the patient can follow advice and precaution. Looking good.Bill

Frankly the patient is not very patient!

Spent a lot of the first week on my back in bed, now at the end of the second week I am up most of the day and walking around the house as well as about a quarter of a mile outside.

I was on an opioid every four hours to start, had that down to one every seven/eight hours after ten days then quit them altogether on Sunday. Took a couple of Tylenol this morning.

Still getting some nerve pain in my left buttock, but they say it can take up to three months for the full effect of the fusion to be felt.

My biggest issue now is overall tiredness and weakness in my legs. Went to the mail box this morning and as I stepped down off the porch my right leg gave way a bit and I stumbled. So I just need to keep getting up and walking.

Wearing the brace when out of bed. No bending or twisting or lifting more than ten pounds.

Pretty teidious. Though I have lost twelve pounds since the op!

Never take your success for granted. Protect yourself- always. It will be a year or two before you have the "final result". Not sure if you did enough nerve damage pre surgery to have permanent issues. My legs are permanently weak, the right more so than the left. I fragmented a disc and we decided to leave it in the spinal canal to be absorbed by the body. I probably should have had it removed, but how many GD surgeries can I keep having. Two hip replacements, one knee replacement, and two spinal surgeries is enough. Doctor says I need my shoulders done. Nope. Not yet.
You will know where you are in a year or two. The one thing I know for sure is that where you will be is in large part determined by how well you handle recovery and protect your spine. You may have to have more work done at some point, but from the looks of that wound you appear to be in good hands. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Keep it up. Its all you now. Bill

I had the follow up today. During which we looked at X-Rays from this morning and I asked him what exactly he had done. He went and got the model.

I was surprised at how big everything was - especially the screws. He said the screws I have are slightly bigger in diameter! [I guess the thread title is spot on!]. The only thing this model does not show is the cadaver bone that is put in behind the spacer you can see at the front.

I thought that there was enough metal here to set off airport metal detectors but he said not.

Attachments

• Back1.jpg
    Back1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 39
  • Back2.jpg
    Back2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Back3.jpg
    Back3.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
And you thought screws at the marine store were expensive!

You should ask for some spare parts, I am pretty sure they do well in fiberglass!

L

I sure hope he put some Locktite on 'em!

Just call me Lee Majors!

Attachments

• Radiology_Image_copy.jpg
    Radiology_Image_copy.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
You have maintained your vertebral spacing AND your laminar bones. Nice! You might end up actually better than "as issued" minus the incision scaring, which in some people is not much to speak of and from the looks of your pictures will be minimal. I think you are going to do quite well. Now protect that fine work. Bill

Just checking in on your progress and fusion surgery.
Fusion for my back problem not contemplated at this time. However just got home from my epidural injection for recent ongoing low back pain. My history this is my third epidural last on 2017 and 2014 with physical therapy designed exercises for 40 minutes every other day. I’m able to cope with cold packs, exercise, off days after doing too much.
I hope your recovery is progressing well just keep in mind you have millions of others dealing with back pain coping as well, good luck.
Bill

Bill, is there a reason you are holding off?

OK, very positive update tonight.

Coming up on two calendar months since the surgery (7/21).

I won't go into all the details of the post surgery experience, just to say I went through the gamut. Including opioid hallucinations, post surgery gout that had my right knee blow up like a melon, trouble in the toilet (physical more than medical), needing Sian to dress me, even after going potty, frustration at the pace of recovery, watching Netflix shows on my phone I'd never heard of all night, lost 12 pounds (since regained!), and up until ten days ago still had about 30% of the nerve pain.

That last bit had me more annoyed than frustrated. Had I gone through this to still have pain? The remaining pain was in the area of my previous piriformis syndrome/sciatica issue. My assumption was that the surgery resolved the nerve pain cause by the L4/L5 issue. That had masked the piriformis issue, and now I was still left with that.

I discussed this with my spine team at one of the follow up calls. They told me that they do move and annoy the nerves during surgery so I should give it more time and not assume that it would not be resolved. With the way I felt I thought that was a bit of BS.

Today, totally nerve pain free. About a week ago, it just started to go away.

I can drive the car as long as I want, can sit at the computer as long as I want, I am walking the beach and around the neighborhood - up to two miles so far.

I have a month to go in the brace and then physio. I still can't put on and take off my socks as my muscles are tight (well I can take off my socks but they somehow take off across the room!). But that is currently my only physical limitation - apart from still not being allowed to bend, twist, and lift more than ten pounds - but that is by medical direction, not by how I feel.

Really in a great place right now. Onwards and ever upwards!

Last edited:
Great to hear that even though it’s been a struggle you may be completely pain free one day.
My case is different although I ‘ve prayed each time for the xray/mri to discover something that can be a permanent fix. I have fairly good disc vertebrae spacing and no nerve pinching leg numbness. I have a lot of wear and tear in and around the spinal colum muscle and ligament support system. Debilitating back spasms put me down and because I’m on blood thinners for atrial fibrillation I can’t use anti inflammatory medicine. Prednisone is what gives me some relief but as you mentioned the insomnia, weight loss, metal tasting food and general wonky feeling from steroids is a grin and bear it situation. So my cure is a life style change to cope with how I use the boat. I have been hands on for 40 years doing 95% of routine maintenance. I’m going to pay someone to do that from now on, sea cocks are going be opened at the start of boating and closed for winterizing, just a lot less of bending, twisting will hopefully give me a few more years of boating. Not complaining I’ve had a good long run but all good things end eventually. I hope your enjoyment of boating is measured in many many more years.

Keep doing everything right! It is all worth it to not have nerve pain. That pain can get really debilitating.

Wonderful news Menzies.
For HiDHo, do you swim? My back was the reason to take it up, years ago, it still maintains my back with no sciatica from the L5-S1 disc impinging the nerve. When the nearby lap pool closed for Covid I felt myself degrading, reopening was very welcome. Some conditions likely benefit more than others, some not at all, but it works for me. The water gives support while swimming, not fully weight bearing makes it easier to get started. And it`s good all over exercise I enjoy.

BruceK we have access to our townhome complex pools both in Florida and Alabama but I can’t seem to get into using it regularly, my bad, I know it’s an excellent non load bearing way to exercise.
I do every other day low back stretching exercises to ward off back muscle spasm trying to keep everything loose and limber. and they help. One of the joys of retirement is taking the day off to recuperate after a day that brings on the pain. I know I’m one of millions dealing with chronic low back pain, who knows wonder drugs are created everyday.

Last edited:
BruceK we have access to our townhome complex pools both in Florida and Alabama but I can’t seem to get into using it regularly, my bad, I know it’s an excellent non load bearing way to exercise.
I know it`s not for everyone, but I found the neurosurgeon,many years ago, saying "You can swim or I can operate" very persuasive. If I slack off sciatica, back pain, cramps etc slowly come back. When I saw a physio after a compression fracture in a freak fall directly on L1,he said my back muscles were very strong while my core muscles were crap. So it works, the muscles strengthen and take the load instead of the spinal structures. If I didn`t enjoy the swimming, I`d be less diligent.1km 3X a week, I kind of switch off, a bit like meditation.

I had the three month follow up with the surgeon this morning.

I had X-Rays first and she just took two from the side. I asked her if that was all the Dr. had requested and she said yes.

When I met with the surgeon he gave me the all clear to toss my brace and go to Physio.

I asked why just the two side-on images. He said the focus was on any movement of the fusion - i.e. any gaps or openings looking from side on and there were none. The fusion was still solid. He said he wouldn't expect any significant bone fusion until the one year mark.

So good to go, don't over reach on the physio.

I came home. Ceremonially threw the brace over my shoulder onto the floor (but put it away in case I need a good one later), had a cup of tea and went into the engine room and checked everything out and filled the coolant expansion tanks! :D

Off on the boat again tomorrow morning!

Last edited:
...I came home. Ceremonially threw the brace over my shoulder onto the floor (but put it away in case I need a good one later), had a cup of tea and went into the engine room and checked everything out and filled the coolant expansion tanks! :D

Off on the boat again tomorrow morning!
How very Irish (or UKish) to celebrate with a cuppa! I hope it goes well.

Back
Top Bottom