HELP! Diesel Odor in Aft Stateroom - Help in Mitigating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve had two of these 8” 12v Noctua computer fans running for six years 24/7 in the engine room. Even without a diesel leak it makes the rest of the boat smell much fresher. It’s rated at 5000 cubic ft per hour so it ‘s moving plenty of air. It draws 0.96 watts (that’s not a misprint) and is almost silent (18db regular speed and 10db on low speed). I made a little mounting bracket out of starboard to mate it to a standard exhaust hose. They have smaller ones that would fit a 4” hose.

It’s also cools the engine room down much faster at the end of the day making the cabin noticeably cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A2...keywords=Noctua+fan+20&qid=1598961831&sr=8-14

Last edited:
Are you using 3 duct fans on either side or one on each side?

We closed 5 out of the 6 engine room vents and used a single duct fan on the last one - so it's only on one side.

We closed 5 out of the 6 engine room vents and used a single duct fan on the last one - so it's only on one side.

Thanks Westiculo. I have twin gassers in my 42 Uniflite and get engine smells in the aft cabin. Adding this to “The List”!

Tak

Thanks Westiculo. I have twin gassers in my 42 Uniflite and get engine smells in the aft cabin. Adding this to “The List”!

Tak

I occasionally get a little smell from my gassers after shutdown if there's not enough wind to force some air through the engine room. SOP for me is to wait 5-10 minutes after shutdown, then run the blowers for a couple of minutes. That generally takes care of it.

If there are no leaks of diesel, after the chemical cures the last tool is an ozone generator.

It will clean up the aroma , but only if the smell source is secured .

A day or two will tell.

Back
Top Bottom