Transport from Fl to New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rich, I wrote that you were on the Mississippi less than 100 miles. Said nothing about any other rivers.

In 2017 I did the Loop leaving Chicago around Labor day and arriving in Mobile in late October. During that time period most of the rivers had substantially reduced water levels and flows. The only rivers with 2 knots or greater flow were the short stretch of the Mississippi and the Ohio. Illinois was below a knot. I know this is unusual, but it does happen.

Ted

As I said, I was on the Mississippi for over 200 miles from the Ohio to the Illinois. and your mileage estimate was in error there. Not a big deal when going down current, but a whole 'nother ball of wax going uphill slowly in the normal flow. The Illinois was added for illustration about the total of over 550 miles of potential adverse current travel when headed north and how in a slow boat under normal conditions it is a slow agonizing and perilous slog.

To get around Jones Act restrictions . . . I don't know where you're located in FL, but you could sail to Freeport and then ship your boat from there to NYC. There's probably LO/LO service, but it's not going to be cheap. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom