Transmission for Cummins 6BT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Also considering a full keel option for prop and rudder protection along with better tracking "

Build everything robust enough when you spend a tide or two aground there are no worries.

With a single center line engine you might consider what many Euro boats fit.

The install a strong chain plate P&S at about the wide point of the hull , then two legs (4x4 or 6x6) are chained together at the base where pads (for soft bottoms) .

The legs are walked back from the bow with the chain in place sliding under the hull.

A set of double blocks allow the legs to be pushed firmly into the bottom (if aground) or simply adjusted to the right depth while waiting for the tide to leave,

Makes overnight in creeks or tidal pools a breeze .

Last edited:
The ZF 220A is 10 Deg

https://www.sbmar.com/docs/ZF/DS-ZF_220_A.pdfwn angle

For the length and weight of your boat you probably will need to look at 2:1 or 2.5:1 ratio and swing a larger diameter prop, larger heavier displacement vessels need torque not HP so much to maneuver properly

Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah we're gonna need a large prop with some bite.

Good idea for the keel, that’s a big boat with a lot of flat bottom, you don’t want it slewing around on you.

I once tried to pilot a 22 foot flat bottom aluminum Jon boat across Lake Greenwood in SC with 25 knot sustained winds. At swiming speed with a 30 knot gust, the boat would pirouette on her transom. Lift and twirll. :rofl: Made for one hell on an adventure. Just needed rain to make it better. :rolleyes:

"Also considering a full keel option for prop and rudder protection along with better tracking "

Build everything robust enough when you spend a tide or two aground there are no worries.

With a single center line engine you might consider what many Euro boats fit.

The install a strong chain plate P&S at about the wide point of the hull , then two legs (4x4 or 6x6) are chained together at the base where pads (for soft bottoms) .

The legs are walked back from the bow with the chain in place sliding under the hull.

A set of double blocks allow the legs to be pushed firmly into the bottom (if aground) or simply adjusted to the right depth while waiting for the tide to leave,

Makes overnight in creeks or tidal pools a breeze .

Good idea. I've seen those stands that some use to keep their boats upright when the tide runs out. She'll be overbuilt incase of dry outs. I don't think I would attempt to beach a boat this big.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom