Who uses a fog horn in the fog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Another thread about radar use had me thinking about low vis ops. I run a Fog-mate fog horn in low vis but I usually only hear fog signals from commercial vessels. There are often MANY recreational angler boats in the vicinity but I never recall hearing one from them.

Do you have an automated fog horn signaling device on your boat? If so, do you use it regularly in low visibility conditions? Is it a radio function over a loud speaker on the bow or does it involve the use of your vessel's horn system?

If not, do you just estimate the timing and sound your horn about every 2 minutes?

Do you notice many other boats in the fog using their fog horns?

Sometimes I wonder, "Is it just me?"

Just added PA/Fog speaker to my S/H GX2200 this past winter but no fog around. But I do now use my “anchor “ ball. Keep forgetting to take it down when leaving though!!! Nobody and I mean nobody cares.

It's rarely I've boated in fog where visibility was less than the range of my horns although my air-powered horns have twice the required range (requiring four times the volume) for the boat's size. And yes, do use it when visibility is obscured, and do have a device that gives the required signals when turned on.

And yes, don't recall other boaters sounding. Believe it is worse with sailboats (and "lesser" vessels) since they are usually limited to lung power or low-capacity, hand-held horns, or none at all.

Last edited:
Just added PA/Fog speaker to my S/H GX2200 this past winter but no fog around. But I do now use my “anchor “ ball. Keep forgetting to take it down when leaving though!!! Nobody and I mean nobody cares.

Your attorney should care.

But then, that's a different topic.

Attachments

• IMG_2024_zpspht0ausq.jpg
    IMG_2024_zpspht0ausq.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I use my automated fog horn as required...with the exception of narrow ICW residential stretches where it would be more annoyance than real help.

Yes. I have one of the automated hailer/fog signal devices which I have used several times over the course of this summer, in visibilities as low as 1/8 mile. Never heard anyone else, but I'm not sure if that's a function of the other guy's horn/no horn or my own engine noise.

I do reduce speed during low vis ops, more to mprove my hearing than to reduce collision damage.:lol:

My device actually has an output volume control. Damm if I know why.

I use my automated fog horn as required...with the exception of narrow ICW residential stretches where it would be more annoyance than real help.

You are depriving the residences of the maritime experience. They paid for it: give it to them.

I always use our automated fog horn when the fog is thick.

I do reduce speed during low vis ops, more to mprove my hearing than to reduce collision damage.:lol: ...

Opening the pilothouse doors and even sticking one's head out helps

I use an automated fog horn which is built into my Icom VHF radio, whenever conditions require it. I've been known to use a fair amount of volume. Kind of fun to watch on radar, the radarless center consoles fishing in the inlet, scatter when they here me coming. :lol:

Ted

We brought a previous boat down the west coast from Seattle to LA and were underway one time for 30 hours in very thick fog. Used the automated system the whole time. The horn got really old during that time period. We have a hailer on the current boat with front and rear facing horns hooked to the hailer so we can make the required signals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the automated sounder in the VHF. Then if in close proximity to other boats, I hit the big horn button while the VHF is sounding.

I have a Fogmate connected to my Kahlenberg D2's. I love to turn them on in the fog. They sound a bit like those on a ferry or something else very large and I can see smaller boats on my radar scurrying out of my way!

Or is it just us wanting to sound off our Kahlenberg air horns? ;)

I have a Fogmate connected to my Kahlenberg D2's. I love to turn them on in the fog. They sound a bit like those on a ferry or something else very large and I can see smaller boats on my radar scurrying out of my way!

I like the way you guys think. I'd rather scare them away than hit them accidentally.

I have a Fogmate connected to my Kahlenberg D2's. I love to turn them on in the fog. ...

Same here on the D2, particularly when it echoes off the hills and tall buildings. Also when entering and leaving the marina when the breakwater restricts visibility at other than high tide. Initial response from nearby liveaboards: "what the hell was that!")

Last edited:
I did it once. Listening to that darned horn was the worst 10 seconds of my life. Just kidding. If I'm out in a very heavy fog I drop speed down to about 4-5kts and watch the radar like a hawk.

Very seldom out in heavy fog but do use it at those times. Have rarely observed other pleasure boats doing so. A couple of power boats, never a sailboat. Many commercial vessels doing so.

I use a horn from a ship, loud, so everyone but ships get out of the way. I have a random timer so it's not exactly 2 minutes (in case someone approaching is exactly on 2 minutes).

Used the automated fog horn with the variable two minute timer religiously. When appropriate I also used the air horns. Numerous times I had small fishing boats make sharp turns as I appeared out of the fog.

I never used the automated function built into the loud hailer as my air horns were much louder. Had several occasions to use those. Ann would usually be out on the bow bench looking and listening as an adjunct to the radar, and would signal me when to sound them so she could cover her ears. But we always sounded them in fog.

By the way, for you Delta folks, the term "sounding board" comes from large wooden billboard type structures they used to have in strategic locations up there. Crew would listen for the echo from their ship whistles. My dad pointed a few of the old locations out to me once, usually at strategic turning points in the river.

I think many of the sound signals are en route to extinction like the dodo bird. With all the machinery noise on board, can anyone hear things like buoy bells and whistles? And ship horns that are anything other than right near you? I can't.

The funny thing....many of the least experienced boaters are the ones flying around at high speed in outboard powered boats with no Radar and the engine noise is way louder than sound signals.

Though its not all that funny when they go zipping past in really thick fog.

Oh yeah, no one yet has mentioned navlights on which iz another often ignored requirement.

The funny thing....many of the least experienced boaters are the ones flying around at high speed in outboard powered boats with no Radar and the engine noise is way louder than sound signals.

Though its not all that funny when they go zipping past in really thick fog.

Oh yeah, no one yet has mentioned navlights on which iz another often ignored requirement.

I wish I had a dollar for every one of them passing close by only looking at their chart plotter.

I think many of the sound signals are en route to extinction like the dodo bird. With all the machinery noise on board, can anyone hear things like buoy bells and whistles? And ship horns that are anything other than right near you? I can't.

We ran the boat from the lower helm in fog. Running at slow speed and with the doors on either side of the helm open, we could hear most of those things, but still if it was calmer conditions posted someone forward.

Those guys fishing in little skiffs in the Georgia ICW sure could hear us!

Do you have an automated fog horn signaling device on your boat? If so, do you use it regularly in low visibility conditions? Is it a radio function over a loud speaker on the bow or does it involve the use of your vessel's horn system?

Ours is automated, through the radio/hailer.

Haven't actually had to use it... since the fog event (previous boat) that convinced me we needed it... along with radar. :)

-Chris

I have been very lax at using the horn in fog conditions. I have thought that an automatic system would be much better. In fog, I have all my concentration out the window and on the radar display. Add to that the requirement to sound the hours for 4 seconds every 2 minutes and it is more that can comfortably manage. An automated system for the horn would be nice.

I have an air horn that runs on an on-demand compressor. It has a simple switch at the helm. Anyone have a suggestion on a system that can be added to that? I could kludge something together myself, but I think I’d like to have a ready-made solution.

Edit: I don’t have a hailer so that is not an option.

I just read psneed’s comments on nav-lights. It reminded me to turn off my running lights. I am very good at turning them on whenever visibility is marginal. I’m not so good at remembering to turn them off. Same with my anchor light.

Last edited:
I have been very lax at using the horn in fog conditions. I have thought that an automatic system would be much better. In fog, I have all my concentration out the window and on the radar display. Add to that the requirement to sound the hours for 4 seconds every 2 minutes and it is more that can comfortably manage. An automated system for the horn would be nice.

I have an air horn that runs on an on-demand compressor. It has a simple switch at the helm. Anyone have a suggestion on a system that can be added to that? I could kludge something together myself, but I think I’d like to have a ready-made solution.

Edit: I don’t have a hailer so that is not an option.

I just read psneed’s comments on nav-lights. It reminded me to turn off my running lights. I am very good at turning them on whenever visibility is marginal. I’m not so good at remembering to turn them off. Same with my anchor light.

I believe one of the horn manufacturers makes just that. I can't remember which one. I considered getting one but never got around to it. I always have had crew so it was no big deal.

Back
Top Bottom