Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Al :)

No idea why there were so many...must have been an opening coming up. We just stayed the night, then moved on.

Had snow come down to about 300' from the valley floor yesterday, and had 'chunky' raindrops on the trucks windshield...winter is coming your way!

Hi Al :)

No idea why there were so many...must have been an opening coming up. We just stayed the night, then moved on.

Had snow come down to about 300' from the valley floor yesterday, and had 'chunky' raindrops on the trucks windshield...winter is coming your way!

Assuming your thinking was accurate, can you imagine treading your way through the vast number of gill nets set in the water ways? Wow! I often during the season while traveling to and from Wrangell golfing voyages, have to traverse through potentially 20 seasonal gill netters in the Zemovia Straits. I can tell you it is a very busy time locating those orange float balls on the net ends.
Your photo shows well in the excess of 20 boats perched to fish.

Reports of snow levels are reported around us. currently we are in a constant state of mist, light rain, heavy rain, sideways rain, and then a rare moments of no rain but threatening. Other than that we are having pleasant weather.
Would or could we shift some of this to California.:blush:

I think this is an interesting boat. Not a trawler, but a roomy Crealock-designed motorsailer with a big pilothouse for someone who wants to do some open water adventuring and not just ICW cruising.

Seems like a decent price on the surface, if the steel hull is in good shape. Big engine room with workbench.

They will take a trade in, Pack Mule! [emoji57]

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199.../Annapolis-area/MD/United-States#.WeoHG0FOmEc

IMG_1390.JPG

Last edited:
I think this is an interesting boat. Not a trawler, but a roomy Crealock-designed motorsailer with a big pilothouse for someone who wants to do some open water adventuring and not just ICW cruising.

Seems like a decent price on the surface, if the steel hull is in good shape. Big engine room with workbench.

They will take a trade in, Pack Mule! [emoji57]

1993 CREALOCK Custom; P/house-Ketch AC/heat; 3 STATEROOM !! Sail Boat For

View attachment 69519

Heck of a stout, well appointed world cruiser for $99K!! If I were in the market for similar I'd be having this baby surveyed before she gets gobbled up.

That's why the boat I am planning to build is flat bottomed extremely low draft boat with no rocker. Say good bye to the tide and spend time on the beach.

Or just buy a C-Dory. :)

Al and Murray,
The extended forecast (through winter) is for wetter than normal weather for the PNW. Don’t know how far north that extends but it probably applies to SE as well as Puget Sound ect.
We’ve had two power outages already both over 12 hours. The dry weather is over it seems and the Skagit River came way up in one day.

I have more time than money. The boat I am planning to build is an off shore power dory. Plus, I can build in the layout I want. :thumb:

I agree Ben,
Sea Dory’s are way overpriced IMO.
And a good well designed wood boat is better IMO.
However there are many other choices. Just an old Glassply or Fiberforn ect.

Al and Murray,
The extended forecast (through winter) is for wetter than normal weather for the PNW. Don’t know how far north that extends but it probably applies to SE as well as Puget Sound ect.
We’ve had two power outages already both over 12 hours. The dry weather is over it seems and the Skagit River came way up in one day.

Wet for you, but probably cold again for us on the north coast of BC.

There are still snow patches from last year in the mountains at around 3,000 feet. We're 60 miles from open water up Douglas Channel, so the surrounding mountains really have an effect...there's slushy snow falling right now :eek:

No snow in the Miami area yet.
The flow of tourist and snowbirds will start the first part of November.
They make the herd of crummy drivers even larger. Some folks insist at texting at a stop light. Gotta beep the horn to interrupt their texting.

I am very happy for "some of us."
I remember ice boating..... really really cold.

Winter! Ha!

Hot as hell in Texas today. Tried to read outside this AM but the humidity and skeeters ran me back inside.

Time to haul the boat.

Nope.

The ocean doesn't freeze here, but it will ice up in small bays where there is a creek and fresh water flowing in. Our marina will freeze up at about -10c, but even at -20c (-4F) our boat doesn't because it's far enough from shore.

There is no such thing as boating season!!!!!!

Had the luck of being in reykjavik harbor yesterday afternoon. Too many interesting boats to post them all. Here are 3 photos. The first is of some of the small boats. Many have a "skirt"(?). Is this to reduce the chance of a wave catching them from astern?

Second photo is the design/layout I dream about. Maybe a little big for me but I just loved how the yellow boat with the foredeck crane looked. Aft pilothouse, classic look.

Third picture is the bottom of another boat that had been sitting in the yard for a while. It had these strange protrusions coming out the bottom. They're not through hulls, nor keel cooling. What do you guys (and girls) think?

Attachments

• 20171020_142927.jpg
    20171020_142927.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 20171020_145724.jpg
    20171020_145724.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 145
  • 20171020_145506.jpg
    20171020_145506.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 133
What is the estimated length go yhr yellow boat?
I agree it is an interesting looking boat.

The yellow boat does have nice lines.

The things on the bottom of the wooden boat is a mystery. I would take it over to the wooden boat forum.

Gabe wrote;
“The first is of some of the small boats. Many have a "skirt"(?). Is this to reduce the chance of a wave catching them from astern?”

I think it would increase that chance. A significant stern sea would tend to hold dowd the stern so a wave could come aboard and poop the stern putting them in a very bad way. Perhaps the word “floundering” would apply. Seen quite a few pics of boats w “skirts” and I’m sure it’s an attempt to make a FD boat go faster. One from Spain has been marketed in the US.

Sometimes we really do get “interesting” boats .. thanks.

Last edited:
The yellow boat does have nice lines.

The things on the bottom of the wooden boat is a mystery. I would take it over to the wooden boat forum.

I can't really tell where those fittings are located from the photo. But I wonder if the "protuberances" may have once been the attachment points for bilge boards?

Yellow boat, maybe 80'? Just gorgeous with a protected prop, full keel. I'mglad it was wood or else I'd never be able to wrest my gaze away

The protrudances were out the bottom. I failed to check if they were equal in the other side but this was an old single screw. I like the bearer bolt idea - they seemed to be in a appropriate area

Guess - I think the skirts are to increase the waterline of a displacement boat and to provide more aft buoyancy as well as a larger hull to carry more fish.

Guess - I think the skirts are to increase the waterline of a displacement boat and to provide more aft buoyancy as well as a larger hull to carry more fish.

Sort of like a swim platform, longer boat, can collect more taxes and no one wants to sleep on it over night.

Me-thinks it would act something like a wave piercing bow, in that the stern would get some early lift and some of the waves energy would spill off to either side of the stern, instead of all the energy hitting the stern square on.

Don't think them Icelandic guys would put a 'skirt' on their boat just to be fashionable.

Also...what Icelanders consider acceptable conditions would probably have most of us whimpering at the dock.

Also...what Icelanders consider acceptable conditions would probably have most of us whimpering at the dock.

You betchum Red Rider. WHIMPER WHIMPER

Unless I am out caught in it, there is no reason for me to be out there in the weather.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom