Anchoring, what would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm surprised nobody has suggested setting two anchors. Sounds like a classic case for a Bahamian mooring. Not that hard to set, and very little swing, so you can set a tight anchor watch.

Jeff F, I was in a similar situation to the OP. I was anchoring in one of the narrow channels just north of Golden Isles off the ICW. Thinking about the reversing currents I set a Bahamian mooring. This would have been fine in a wide channel. The problem occurs when you can't get the two rodes tight enough to keep the boat in a perfectly straight line. All was well for a few hours then I felt the boat bump bottom. We were just far enough out of the center of the channel to bump on the edge. It was dark, windy, and the fast current starting running. Of course when the current picked up it pulled us back to the middle with a little swinging. I had a real mess on the deck when I started to retrieve the lines. Gray mud was all over everything including me.

Hi Don

I use to use a Bahamiam moore quite often with a Danforth and in the Bahamas where current rus between two islands. The problem is when you use it and other boats don't. Creates boats banging into each other at the current change.

So what you are saying is before going on an extended boat trip that will include anchoring stay off my meds??? :)

If you're going to get up, start the engines and reset the anchor (in the dark) every time the direction of the current changes (every six hours), you would be better off staying at marinas.

Make sure you have a good anchor and 30' or more of heavy chain, set a scope of seven to one or more and head into the current as you set the anchor. Cleat the rode and back down under power. Set the anchor drag alarm on your GPS accounting for the swing when the current reverses.

I said "if you're worried".
For the most part IMO all will go well if the bottom is good.

"All was well for a few hours then I felt the boat bump bottom. We were just far enough out of the center of the channel to bump on the edge"

Centering the rudder will frequently solve this problem , with little effort.

You learn to trust your anchor, or you change to one you can trust.

I don't bother with anchor alarms but I do wake up if conditions change. I normally wake up at the change of tide. It's very rare for us to share an anchorage with another boat, so there is always room to use lots of scope.

One of the night we spent at anchor in our favorite spot, we went to sleep in a nice warm weather, and in the middle of the night I woke up hearing the noise of a strong wind, I went out on the bridge and the wind was blowing like hell, the boat was bouncing from one side to another and in the opposite direction in which we set the anchor. This scared me so I stayed up looking for any drag but the boat did not move an inch so I went back to sleep 1h later. From that day I sleep well and know that in that area my anchor is holding very very well if correctly set. I guess that like anything else, confidence comes with experience. Be confident enough to sleep, but not too much so you can keep good security practices.

L.

You learn to trust your anchor, or you change to one you can trust.

I don't bother with anchor alarms but I do wake up if conditions change. I normally wake up at the change of tide. It's very rare for us to share an anchorage with another boat, so there is always room to use lots of scope.

You hit upon a major point and that is no other boats and lot's of room. That's not always possible though and when it's not the entire situation changes completely. It's not my anchor I don't trust, it's all the other boats and anchors. I can control my own boat but lack control on all the others.

Back
Top Bottom