View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
markpierce
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
No day on the water is the same

Took my usual boating venture up and back the Carqunez Strait this afternoon. While the waters are familiar, events are never the same. Like today, no ocean-going vessels in transit were observed. Moving commercial traffic consisted of a couple of dredging barges with tugs. Here are some of the sights.

Tug "on the hard" at Mare Island:

"Double egg beaters" flying over; they did it several times:

Benicia ferry landing: as a child I recall taking the ferry between Benicia and Martinez, but it was replaced by a bridge in the 1960s.

Looking eastward toward the Benicia bridges. There are three. The oldest (and lowest) is a double-tracked railroad bridge built around 1930, making the world's largest railroad ferries obsolete, and two highway bridges.

Fast-swimming pinniped near Benicia. Saw one earlier swimming in Mare Island Strait, and later resting/barking on a buoy in the strait.

From the Benicia bridge westward, followed this houseboat, complete with spiral staircase. They chose a good time to transit the waters: it was very calm (and warm) today. They continued on to the then-still waters of San Pablo Bay while we turned north up Mare Island Strait to home port. (Docked Panamanian freighter and C&H sugar plant in background.)

My transient neighbor's bird Captain Bligh.

Well, another interesting day on the Coot's home waters.