CNG tank exchange in RI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
My son has a CNG stove on his boat and loves it. This year he went to exchange his tank he was told they no longer offer CNG exchange. Anybody know where he can get an exchange without extended travel? He has called around and has had no luck.

My son has a CNG stove on his boat and loves it. This year he went to exchange his tank he was told they no longer offer CNG exchange. Anybody know where he can get an exchange without extended travel? He has called around and has had no luck.

CNG, not propane? I have never heard of CNG on a boat, or portable CNG tanks.

CNG, not propane? I have never heard of CNG on a boat, or portable CNG tanks.

Just reading up on this now and of course they do exist, though apparently rare. It sounds like converting to propane is the most popular route.

I believe that CNG is popular in Europe. Unlike Propane, CNG is lighter than air and doesn't accumulate in the bilge.

Just look-up CNG refilling in RI. My guess is the issue is the tank exchange, rather than the filling portion. Plenty of CNG vehicles on the road.

CNG tanks are lot heavier than propane tanks and hold considerably less gas. It was a popular alternative for boat manufacturers in the 80’s. However due to its inconveniences it never really caught on. Once fume detection became reliable manufacturers switched back to propane.

Last I knew, Sure Marine was the last one filling CNG tanks in the PNW. They plan to continue this only as long as their 40 year old compressor continues to function.

It was a thing for a while but didn’t catch on.

Converting to propane sure sounds like the best route, if it's possible. Sounds like getting CNG fill ups will only get harder than it is already.,

I don’t think anyone does exchanges, but if you look around enough, you should be able to find a refill station. I had CNG on a former boat and loved it.
Yes, converting to propane would be nice, but it is not as easy as it sounds. CNG is a much safer alternative than propane. No need to have a dedicated, sealed locker to keep it in.

In 2016 I did a CNG exchange at Longbeach LA. Once I got the boat to Seattle I converted to propane.

It was not a simple conversation. CNG tanks were stored inside the boat. The gas line had several joints in it. I ended up building a custom propane locker with all the safety equipment and running the proper certified hose.

On the plus side propane tanks are much lighter, last much longer and are a lot cheaper per BTU.

Back
Top Bottom