Wire butt splice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had bad luck with the solder included butt connectors, and they are expensive. I use a pencil torch and it seems I frequently burn through the shrink sleeve getting the solder hot enough to melt. I like using solder and shrink sleeve for connections that are in wet locations. Butt connectors are fine for other apps, especially if they have shrink sleeve ends. I have had good service from soldered battery connectors, but appreciate how they could overheat and melt. Though if that happens there are other problems and it might be better to melt the connection than start a fire!

I have been an aircraft and helicopter mechanic for 36 years and have repaired my share of broken wires. I definitely feel I have seen and repaired more solder joints than crimped joints.

But it is also my opinion that doing a quality job with quality practices and using quality materials VS shoddy job and shoddy materials and shoddy practices FAR outweighs the differences between solder VS crimp alone.

Of course IMO this only applies to low current carrying wires.

But overall with the availability of modern crimpers and modern crimp connectors and shrink tube I haven't soldered anything in years unless if was the type of switch that must have a solder connection.

There's actually no issue with soldering, it just can't be the sole source of connection. While I'd argue it's unnecessary, you can crimp, then solder the terminal end of the crimp, that's runs zero risk of solder running into the strands and leading to conductor failure. That's covered in this article https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/crimping-etiquette/

FROM THE EDITOR
Been meaning to ask why your links start with a topic that is different from the intended. Always interesting, just curious. What if someone thinks they arrived at the wrong link and do not read through non related article.

Ordinarily, I use crimp connectors. But for the really small wires, the soldered connectors are great. I use a heat gun to melt the solder.

FROM THE EDITOR
Been meaning to ask why your links start with a topic that is different from the intended. Always interesting, just curious. What if someone thinks they arrived at the wrong link and do not read through non related article.

Each feature article is prefaced by an editorial. For the last couple of years we have changed the title format to clarify that. I just updated this article so the title indicates the editorial is about CO poisoning, and the feature article is about crimping.

Back
Top Bottom