Legacy Harbour Marina, Ft. Myers, is destroyed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anyone know what happened @ city marina?

Not good, but apparently better than Legacy Harbour. There are some pics around, and overhead photos in the current "imagery" thread.

-Chris

Last edited:
anyone know what happened @ city marina?
If I am interpreting them correctly NOAA satellite photos show it and the boats in it to be largely intact.

Sorry to see and hear about the devastation in the marine world. The silver lining is, you’re able to tell about it.

Was it not possible to move the boat somewhere away from the storm? I know that’s a shoulda/coulda/woulda question, but just wondering what the thought process is. I suppose it depends on how much notice you have, and how confident you can be in the storm path predictions.

Last edited:
My thoughts and prayers are with you today. Hoping you and others recover from this terrible time and that we hear about you back out on the water again.

GB Loss

Truly a gut wrencher seeing this. We rode out hurricane Odile in La Paz in 2014 and it was the most frightening experience we have had in 49 yrs. of boating. We wish you the best and hope that some way, some day you can get back into this life we all have a passion for.

I hope this doesn't sound cold hearted, but we all are concerned of the loss of our boat through any number of ways, including hurricanes. Hopefully you were prepared for this day.

I had a hurricane roll right over my 46' Cheoy Lee in Stamford, CT. As it approached, I weighed my options, decided the marina was as good a place as anywhere, and threw every dock line I had on it. Then I got off it. Thankfully my boat survived. I truly am sorry yours did not.

My home marina - Legacy Harbour Marina - is gone. Destroyed by Hurricane Ian late this Wednesday afternoon. Outer dock D failed and rest succumbed to wind and waves. My lovely Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hannah Jane, is in a pile of boats pushed up into a corner where the Edison Sailing Center has a small dock. There is 5 feet of water over First Street and winds forecast to blow hard for another day. I think this will end my big boat days.

So sorry to hear this. There are so many heartbreaking stories from this storm. Everyone's right, you are alive, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.

Oh wow. So sorry to hear this.

Hope the insurance process goes smoothly.

Sorry for your loss . . . at least you are safe.

May I inquire as to the height of the pilings at Legacy?

Someone asked if the OP could have moved his boat. Seems like an obvious question if you've never been through this but, having lived on the water on the West coast of Florida for over 30 years I can tell you that stay or go is always a complicated question. Up until about a day before it hit Ian was forcast to make landfall in Tampa Bay or North of that where we're located. At that point moving the boat North would not have made sense. When it became clear that the storm would hit farther south it was still not clear exactly where until very late. A slow boat at that point would need to head North because the South side is the bad side but you would not know how far North you'd need to get because the track could shift an any time. Make no mistake, if the OP had attempted to move his boat at that point he would have been risking his life and the lives of anyone accompanying him.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s58/legacy-harbour-marina-ft-myers-destroyed-6551

Sad to hear this news. Glad you are safe. Our thoughts are with you.

The docks were lifted over the pilings? Here in San Diego we have concrete pilings holding the docks in place. When the Fukashima tsunami hit, the docks rose nine feet in sixteen minutes leaving only about a foot of piling holding the docks in place.

Our boat FINS was on B dock. It’s in that big pile by the hotel.

Someone asked if the OP could have moved his boat. Seems like an obvious question if you've never been through this but, having lived on the water on the West coast of Florida for over 30 years I can tell you that stay or go is always a complicated question. Up until about a day before it hit Ian was forcast to make landfall in Tampa Bay or North of that where we're located. At that point moving the boat North would not have made sense. When it became clear that the storm would hit farther south it was still not clear exactly where until very late. A slow boat at that point would need to head North because the South side is the bad side but you would not know how far North you'd need to get because the track could shift an any time. Make no mistake, if the OP had attempted to move his boat at that point he would have been risking his life and the lives of anyone accompanying him.

Well, that is true. At the point you have waited until it is too late, it is too late.

True in more things than just boats and hurricanes.

Depends on how the insurance company treats us. We aren’t ready to get out of boating yet.

Sorry for your loss. It’s a crying shame to see all those beautiful vessels and the love and hard work they represent gone.
Just hope Florida starts thinking hard how to mitigate these heartbreaking losses as unfortunately the future seems to be more of the same or worse. We’re seeing 100 year events (storms, flooding, fire) near annually. Regardless of what we do frequency and/or severity will just increase. Prayers with you that you’re made financially whole ASAP. But still a heart breaking event.

Thanks for the stay vs. go comments. If only these storms were a little more predictable. Here in NC we are susceptible too, so the thought process is similar. Thanks again, and my heart goes out to those who have suffered loss, whether to life and limb or possessions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom