1985 Perkins 6.354 Range 4 NA Wire Diagrams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Intrigue
Vessel Make
1985 Tung Hwa Senator
As some of you know I am rewiring my gauge panel. I was going through some of the original paperwork and found the original Perkins wiring diagram for this boat. It shows the start and stop relays as well as the neutral safety switch and other items. Recent discussion here regarding the relays highlighted the fact that no good wire diagram on the net showed this set up in full. In addition the common wire diagram shown on the net only shows an 8 pin harness/connector. I think many Perkins installs from the 80s and early 90s where not represented by the available wire diagrams.

Anyways I copied mine in its raw form to make it available. I then modified it into quarters that can be printed and taped together so its easier to see and so you can scribble your own notes on it. I will post those up as well. And finally I will post my cobbled together taped and notated diagram since it may be helpful to others.

Original drawing for my 1985 Tung Hwa Senator with dual helm station:
Perkins_6.354.4_wire_diagram_for_9_pin_connector.jpg

Quartered copies to be printed and taped together:
1-4_Perkins_6.354_WD.jpg

2-4_Perkins_6.354_WD.jpg

3-4_Perkins_6.354.4_WD.jpg

4-4_Perkins_6.354.4_WD.jpg

My cobbled together copy with MY notes:

Perkins_6.354.4_WD_with_notes.jpg

20220624_170753.jpg

Last edited:
BTW I mislabeled the stop relay as stop solenoid. But its pretty obvious. Please notate any additional info in the comments.

Also the wire numbers at the oil pressure and water temp senders I believe were reversed. I corrected them on my notes. Please confirm.

Last edited:
That is a good looking panel. What did you use for the new tach?

The new tach is just a Jegs digital gasoline tach. Its being fed by the tiny-tach signal generator. I wanted to stop using the alternator signal.

20220624_181035.jpg

Last edited:
Don't mean to hijack your thread but please tell me more.

So is this the tiny-tach diesel transducer to a micro processor tach?
This seems to be a much better way to get an accurate reading. I always considered the alt signal a vague reference at best.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but please tell me more.

So is this the tiny-tach diesel transducer to a micro processor tach?
This seems to be a much better way to get an accurate reading. I always considered the alt signal a vague reference at best.

No no...its fine. It was actually an experiment because many dont use the Tiny-Tach in Trawlers. But it is commonly used for performance diesel trucks and in other places where a more accurate tach signal is required. Among those groups the Tiny-Tach brand has a pretty solid reputation.

I actually made a video to explain. There are other routes to do the same thing and other options. My particular route was several experiments in a row to achieve a goal. The first several experiments and components did not pan out due to various reasons. So in the end the equipment that finally worked may not have been the most direct path. But the equipment currently installed, the Tiny-Tach PZO Amp for the signal, and the Dakota signal adapter will allow just about any type of tachometer gauge to be used. Gas, mag pick up, W signal, etc. So the choices for the actual gauge you will view are pretty much wide open.

One constraint I had was I did not want any additional brackets mounted on the front of my engine. Entry to the engine compartment requires you to essentially slide down the front of the engine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom