• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

1993 Willard Launch / Patrol Boat, Anacortes WA, $100K

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captain4v

For Sale: WILLARD LAUNCH PATROL CREW BOAT - USD 100,000

1993 40’ Willard Marine naval personnel launch boat. This launch boat was stored in a naval boat shed in San Diego California for over 25 years, and was never pressed into service, thus no name was assigned to this boat only its original hull number. The windows were boarded up and the interior has finally seen sunlight after all this time. Technically, it’s a new boat, and it can be considered a barn find.

Boat name: None
Hull # 12MPE9209
16,000lbs. dry weight
42” Draft Fully Loaded
40’OAL
11’-9” Beam
GRP Hull & Superstructure Full Displacement W/Keel
26” Bronze Prop
Twin 75 Gallon Fuel Tanks Gravity Fed
Forward & Aft Bilge Pumps 24 Volt
Manually Hand Operated Edson Bilge Pump
Cummins 6BTA 5.9 220HP M2 Engine
Engine hours: 10
Twin Disc MG 506A RH Rotation 2.50 to 1 Transmission
Commercial 24 volt electrical system
Bomar Ocean Rated Hatches
Hydraulic Steering
Second auxiliary rudder
Main Rudder Stainless Steel
Flock system to drain engine & transmission fluids

Built to NAVSEA specifications, this boat is number 9 of 9 of these unique launch boats produced by Willard Marine with this full displacement hull design. With her ideal low profile cross section makes this boat easy to dock and maneuver in high winds. There were hundreds of other 40' personnel boats made by Willard but with semi displacement hull designs. Documented average speed during test trials at Willard Marine before turning it over to the Navy was 18.76 knots with the stock single engine 220 HP 6BTA 5.9 Cummins with a Twin Disc 2.5 to 1 transmission. The engine is all analog with no troublesome electronic sensors.

The engineer's chest found in the engine bay contains full blueprints, service manuals, and detailed booklet of the ship testing done by Willard Marine prior to delivering it to the Navy. She is rated to carry 43 personnel in her forward, and aft compartments. Integrated hull full flotation compartmentalized buoyancy foam cored hull in the forward, aft and mid ship bulkheads which makes this boat virtually unsinkable. In the event of a hull breach or crash, the naval manual states: stay with the boat unless it has an out of control fire on board which would be highly unlikely. The hull was made with fire resistant resin as another safety feature. In an emergency situation these launch boats were designed to be pushed off and dropped 60+ feet off a ship into the water without sustaining damage or operational capabilities due to the full-length steel h beam molded into the hull. Would make a great passage maker with some customized upgrades.

Analog simplicity, ease of maintenance and reliability on a very capable boat. The entire boat is entirely made from GRP, so there’s nothing that will ever rot. The auxiliary rudder I'm told is to steer the water over the prop to prevent cavitations and for a maneuvering aid in backing up the boat. This boat comes with new spare prop in crate, new drive shaft with coupler in crate and a full complement of spare engine service parts, new Bimini top, and boat cover. Also included, is the steel 2 point boat lifting cable for ease of handling without the need for a travel lift to reposition or place on a transport trailer. New stainless hand rails. This boat has been fully serviced, and activated as per naval long term storage directions. The engine purrs like a kitten.

Google Drive link available with lots of additional images.
FOR SALE BY OWNER. TITLE IN HAND.

Attachments

• DSC_0058.JPG
    DSC_0058.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0133.JPG
    DSC_0133.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0139.JPG
    DSC_0139.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0145.JPG
    DSC_0145.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0152.JPG
    DSC_0152.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0153.JPG
    DSC_0153.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0154.JPG
    DSC_0154.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0157.jpg
    DSC_0157.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0158.jpg
    DSC_0158.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0160.jpg
    DSC_0160.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I guess the Navy got tired of paying storage fees. It will be the lucky owner who buys this boat. Can design and build the interior as desired. #1 need to get A/C and heat installed.
Men were made of sterner stuff back then plus it was designed for short hauls to and from the ship and shore. #2 generator needed IMO. #3 Has outside steering station. What to do for an upgrade or wireless boat command. Not everyone wants to steer outside in the rain or heavy weather. This is a ‘purpose built’ boat. Perhaps enclose the steering station?
If it is intended to be converted to a cruising boat, a lot of creature comforts needed, ie shower/head, galley etc.
This is perhaps a great shell of a boat to convert. This will cost big bucks. Time to get a Naval Architect involved, listen to his recommendation and advice.
The cost maybe more than it is worth and you are willing to pay.
Engine access is important too. Note: the air intake is mounted high which to me is a good thing.

Last edited:
RE:post

Good Day Old Dan,

I guess the Navy got tired of paying storage fees. ANSWER: The Navy doesn’t pay storage fees at their facilities.

It will be the lucky owner who buys this boat. ANSWER: The lucky one is the one who realizes that a boat like this is too costly to replicate by today’s standards. Just where it sits as with the basic equipment to function as the navy intended amortized by the cost then versus now would be in the ball park of $400+K.

Can design and build the interior as desired. ANSWER: The beauty of its present state is that it’s a blank canvas for an owner to customize to his particular specifications, and not procure a boat built with another’s builders conceptual ideas. I’ve been in the modular office furniture business for over 35 years. Constructing a versatile multipurpose modular interior utilizing CAD with the complete blueprints I have would lend itself to become either a passage maker or a platoon transport all in one in its original state. I could elaborate much further but for now I digress.

#1 need to get A/C and heat installed. ANSWER: If operating in the Pacific northwest or southwest Alaskan waters the need for A/C would be marginal. I noticed when working on this boat in temperatures above 90 degrees it stayed very comfortable in the cabins. The boat already has 2 24 volt fans in each compartment. There are some really nice 24 volt fans to acquire these days like the 24 volt Caframo Sirocco 2 3 speed fans that swivel and pivot to direct air where you need it. I’ve used these fans in my RV’s in lieu of A/C. Quieter than running A/C with a lot less amperage draw. Of course if A/C is still a prerequisite by the new lucky owner it’s very doable economically. As far as heating, and cooking diesel is the way to go for many safety reasons versus propane. One energy source to operate the engine, on board generator, heater and stove simplifies everything including your regular maintenance. While cruising, the need for using your diesel heater can be bypassed using inexpensive simple mini radiators powered by 24 volt fans coupled to the engines coolant system while underway. You can readily plum the diesel stove to exhaust outside. If it’s raining hard outside, and you need to keep the windows closed you can use the dual 24 volt fans that are built for MRAP’s. These very low amperage draw high quality Spal made in Italy fans have the outside weather grilled metal cover included. You can pull are in and push out air to circulate fresh air as desired. I have about 50 of these in stock.

Men were made of sterner stuff back then plus it was designed for short hauls to and from the ship and shore. ANSWER: Sad but true, how men have become de-masculated. Yes, its design had the safety of an Admiral or Captain in mind. In its current configuration she can escape and evade certain distress scenarios, and have a good operating range. With its low in the water stance and minimal cross section profile the navy should have painted this boat with radar absorbent paint to mask its radar signature. I could see where this might be a benefit in the Caribbean or other pirate infested waters. The downside of this would be in a search and rescue operation where it would almost be invisible or invisible at over the horizon ranges or in slightly chopped sea states.

#2 generator needed IMO. ANSWER: Yes, I agree. Since the existing electrical system already has the more efficient 24 volt wiring a 24 volt DC generator is called for. The MEP501A 28VDC 2 kw with the Yanmar engine at 138lbs. would fit and operate nicely in the engine bay. The military always underrates their generators so their young men in the field don’t overload them. The MEP 501A is more like 2.5kw and sips .33 GPH. Tie that directly to your fuel tank system and your good to go. Then add 4 6 volt AGM VMAX 225 amp hour batteries separate from your engine batteries. Each battery weighs 75lbs. X 4 = 300lbs. The benefits of charging a 24 volt battery bank with a 28VDC generator is that the batteries will last longer. A Victron 24 volt 5kw inverter would be a ideal choice to balance out the system for your 120 volt requirements. Then add aircraft quality 24 volt LED’s to your existing lighting with the addition of other well placed 24 volt lighting fixtures to optimize your amperage usage. The less weight you manage to exclude in the build process decreases your fuel consumption, which really adds up in the long run expenditures.

#3 Has outside steering station. What to do for an upgrade or wireless boat command. Not everyone wants to steer outside in the rain or heavy weather. ANSWER: Forget the wireless boat command because IMO the additional EMF fields that they generate is not healthy. There are shielding enclosures that can be made similar to a faraday cage to protect you from EMF exposure, and for the rest of your electronic equipment. The military uses these EMF countermeasure in certain applications where sensitive electronics are deployed with the unintended upside benefit being health related.

I did give some thought to enclosing the bridge from the elements. I measured the windshield to see if it can be reversed to fit over the aft cabin. To my surprise it will fit if you cut approx. 24” off the top aft handrails. Fabricate port and starboard side panels with doors and a one piece top the problem is solved. Since the enclosure is of a modular design the roof panel can readily be removed to gain access to the engine bay. The existing rectangular floor door is large enough to remove the engine if need be. There is a fiberglass mold shop about a ½ mile away from the boat that does molds. I would estimate to produce this type of enclosure would cost approx. $15 to $20K for a high quality modular set up.

If it is intended to be converted to a cruising boat, a lot of creature comforts needed, ie shower/head, galley etc. ANSWER: Creature comforts are a matter of perspective on how far you want to go. With cassette toilets, and diesel hot water on demand fixtures this remains to be a more simple task than you may be assuming.

This is perhaps a great shell of a boat to convert. ANSWER: Yes, but its more than your typical shell that can be had by any manufacturer.

This will cost big bucks. ANSWER: That all depends on what your idea of big bucks equates to. Your typical new 40” trawlers with all the creature comforts average out from $400K to $750K. If you compare the bones of this launch boat to other newly constructed boats there is no functional durability comparison. Newly constructed boats are overly complicated and subject to engine sensors that fail or a loose electrical connection causing the boat to disabled and towed. God forbid that should happen in a storm or near shore and drift into a rocky beachhead. The marine mechanic that I worked with activating this boat said 9 times out of 10 when he goes out on a service call when the engine fails to run is due to a sensor or loose harness connections or one of those little electrical gremlins causing havoc. This launch boat was purpose built with simplicity in mind. The unadulterated non computerized 5.9 Cummins 12 valve marine engines are as about as bullet proof as you can get. In comparison to Volvo Penta and the rest for parts proliferation availability and costs the 5.9 Cummins shines in this category.

By the time you take this boat to present day marine technology with your preferred creature comforts the approx. costs would be from $50K to $90K with state of the art navigation systems and a mid range FLIR thermo imaging installation.

Time to get a Naval Architect involved, listen to his recommendation and advice. ANSWER: Maybe for adding a mid ship 100 gallon fuel tank under the engine to have 250 gallons to cruise on. If you have above average marine knowledge you can forgo using a naval architect. If unsure on a solution, then off course ask for some limited professional assistance. The surveyor I recently hired is of the opinion that it would be within the realm of possibilities that 2 GPH at 12 knots is feasible, and dependent on the sea state that could vary. That mileage still remains to be seen when she is run through the sea trials.

The cost maybe more than it is worth and you are willing to pay. ANSWER: Its worth what ones idea of safety, simplicity, functionality and seaworthiness is. You have to ask yourself this question: if I crashed into an obstacle an pushed in or lost 3’ to 5’ of my bow which is highly unlikely since she has a steel h-beam built into the entire length of the hull. Even at a WOT collision doing 18.76 knots hitting a solid concrete wall a 5’ loss of the bow is very unlikely. Knowing that you’ll not sink or get your feet wet at the helm IMO would give you peace of mind. What if the boat was t-boned by another boat yet still the same outcome you’ll not sink??? To me this is a priceless option.

When you balance out, and calculate the total acquisition cost and preferred modifications your approximately at $150K to $220K total costs. It’s worth it to a savvy buyer that has the wherewithal to execute the tasks at hand? I’ll let you determine that answer whether it’s worth it or not. This boat is really not intended for the average uninformed consumer looking for a bargain boat. There are plenty of bargain boats out there to be had, and this is not one of them. You get what you pay for in almost all circumstances.

I’m looking forward to hearing back from you.

Engine access is important too. ANSWER: I covered that earlier in this reply.

Welcome aboard Captain4v. There was some earlier discussion on your boat here a few months ago in the Interesting Boats thread IIRC.

I have a UB50. Suits me well.

Good luck with the sale.

If you need a naval architect, this is not the project for you.

I would think 9-months and $100k at an Ensenada boatyard would go a long way towards a dream boat. Re-sale value might be something to consider if that's important to a buyer.

Peter

Naval architects have their limited place if an owner is stumped. Experience is the best teacher.

[FONT=&quot]An experienced mariner can micro manage the build out stages and parts acquisition as the project moves forward. Re-sale value as we all know is driven by supply and demand. Usage, along with enjoying the time spent cruising pay’s for the memories gained versus what may be a perceived value down the road. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some owners like all the glitz and sparkle of their 3 story condo’s while others just love the pragmatic utilitarian look, unconcerned with the Spartan military posture this boat projects. It’s all based on preference.[/FONT]

This launch boat was stored in a naval boat shed in San Diego California for over 25 years, and was never pressed into service, thus no name was assigned to this boat only its original hull number.

I worked in Coronado, CA primarily on 65' PB MKIIIs, and to a lesser extent PBRs, and Seafoxes while in the Navy back in the late 80s and early 90s.

https://www.warboats.org/mk3.htm - Although a few pieces of info on that page are not accurate.

Not sure if the same rule applies to launches because I was never in the fleet, but our boats didn't have names either - just hull numbers. The PB I was deployed on during Operation Prime Chance was PB775 - the seventh PB placed in service in 1975.

That particular hull is currently sitting on the hard in Guam - literally on the ground. The word I got from some old teammates is that it's been there for decades. Back in 2019, I tried to find someone there who could help me buy it but got no traction.

Would have made an awesome liveaboard...

Congrats and good luck!

Last edited:
Since acquiring this boat my priorities have changed, thus this boat is for sale to have one savvy buyer take this to the next level. I can only suggest what the next steps or vision should be. I would consider assisting the new owner with sourcing parts and act as a project manager for a fee.

Like I mentioned earlier, the new owner has the option of going modular without making any permanent changes besides the head, shower and galley. If resale is a concern to the new owner then modular is the way to go. It can always revert back to its original configuration by just removing the non permanent components. I hope you can understand the beauty of this concept.

If that launch boat has been sitting outside and on the ground for decades it probably has so much lot rot that would make it uneconomically feasible to restore. I’ve personally inspected many of these launch prior to sale, and I can tell you first hand that most of them are money pits to restore to their former glory.

[FONT=&quot]All the Admirals and Captains 33’ and 40’ launch boats has their permanently assigned ship names on the aft above the boat registry hull numbers. I’ve been acquiring military surplus since the early 80’s, and know that not one of these launch only had a hull number besides the unassigned boat I procured. If you can provide an image of one of these launch that has not been repainted I would then stand corrected.
[/FONT]

I’ll have to agree with you in for a penny, in for a pound. You just never know about some people decision making processes. The saying that people wake up in a different world every morning holds true. The mid ship engine compartment is approx. 40” tall from the yellow floor grates to the bottom of the floor over the helm. The rest of the bow to stern bilge height is approx. 12” where added storage could be done.

The big if you stated almost leads me to believe that if you spent $200K on a lavish interior beyond my imagination then why stop there to have it transported to the east coast?

Are you contemplating selling it? What kind of boat is it if you don't mind me asking?

If that launch boat has been sitting outside and on the ground for decades it probably has so much lot rot that would make it uneconomically feasible to restore. I’ve personally inspected many of these launch prior to sale, and I can tell you first hand that most of them are money pits to restore to their former glory.

[FONT=&quot]All the Admirals and Captains 33’ and 40’ launch boats has their permanently assigned ship names on the aft above the boat registry hull numbers. I’ve been acquiring military surplus since the early 80’s, and know that not one of these launch only had a hull number besides the unassigned boat I procured. If you can provide an image of one of these launch that has not been repainted I would then stand corrected.
[/FONT]

Our boats weren't launches - I stated that in the post. I was never in the fleet, I went from A School right into a Boat Unit. I only spent about 45 days on a ship - TAD - total in my whole career. So I have no idea what the Navy does with launches. I only knew what they did with the boats in our unit and they had no names - only hull numbers.

The PB MK III - as shown at the link in my post - was a 65' aluminum-hulled Patrol Boat built by Marinette for the Navy in the 70's.

The first pic below is a PB MK III in service in the Gulf during Operation Prime Chance. I don't remember that boat's hull number, but I took that pic from the deck of PB 775.

The second pic was taken from our sister boat and shows me (left) and the POIC (my best friend) on the bow of the 775. The boat you see in the background was the fishing dhow we'd just intercepted.

The empty hull of PB 775 was purchased from the US government at auction by a Guam-based steel company in 2001 - but as of as late as 2020, it was still sitting on a pile of wood from the skids that had rotted underneath it.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 50
  • meandmatt.jpg
    meandmatt.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 55
If I were considering buying this vessel one of the questions I would want to know is if the fire retardant resins used in the hull are of the same type that caused the blister issues in the Valiant Yachts originally manufactured by Uniflite in Washington state.

The fire retardant resin used by Uniflite was originally used in building Vietnam war era military watercraft and then later on their recreational boats. The thinking was that it would be safer, but unfortunately led to serious blisters that put Uniflite out of business.

The name and molds for Valiants were purchased from Uniflite by a successor company located at Lake Texoma in Gordonville, Texas which eliminated the use of the resin that caused the blisters. I have no idea whether the launch described in this post was built with that resin or another fire retardant resin but it seems worth knowing the answer.

This boat was built in 1993. The fire retardant resin problems you are referencing occurred in the late 70’s and early 80’s.

Last edited:
If I were considering buying this vessel one of the questions I would want to know is if the fire retardant resins used in the hull are of the same type that caused the blister issues in the Valiant Yachts originally manufactured by Uniflite in Washington state.

The fire retardant resin used by Uniflite was originally used in building Vietnam war era military watercraft and then later on their recreational boats. The thinking was that it would be safer, but unfortunately led to serious blisters that put Uniflite out of business.

The name and molds for Valiants were purchased from Uniflite by a successor company located at Lake Texoma in Gordonville, Texas which eliminated the use of the resin that caused the blisters. I have no idea whether the launch described in this post was built with that resin or another fire retardant resin but it seems worth knowing the answer.
Feel free to join the Willard Boat Owners Group which I co-moderate (and have for almost 25 years). The issue you cite is from the 1970s and affected topside and bottom of hulls. There is a lot of incorrect legend about the resins from then - much of the cause was DuPont ceased production of some of the key fire retardent chemicals and the replacement compounds were a match made in heaven for acid formation that forms blisters.

If you're interested in this boat, the date of manufacture is 15 years after the period you mention. It may have bottom blisters, but doubtful it has the ones you're mentioning. A quick peek at the boat will tell you within 30-seconds.

BTW - I have no affiliation with this boat or owner. Just a guy who is pretty familiar with Willards and the company.

Peter

Larry and Peter --

Thanks for your replies. I agree 100% with both of you that with respect to recreational vessels fire retardant resins were eliminated after blister problems appeared in the '70s and '80s. However, it's not clear to me whether it was eliminated in the construction of military vessels after those years because the military was (and is) more concerned about specific performance than cosmetic issues so its use may have been continued.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my comment, but I did note in my posting that I have no knowledge with respect to the vessel discussed here, only that it seemed as if it would be worth getting the answer to the question of whether problematic resin was used in this vessel.

Separately, especially since blisters only appeared in boats that had prolonged immersion in water, this boat which has been virtually unused since 1993 would be unlikely to demonstrate blisters even if the resins that caused problems for Uniflite had been used in its construction.

Since I am not a prospective buyer for this boat having nothing to do with its resin content, perhaps it would be best if I withdraw from further comments.

Good Day Everyone,

Thanks to all that have chimed in to answer the relevant question. Its nice to see the pool of knowledge here on this forum. This boat was only ran for 10 hours during the final sea trial tests at Willard Marine before it was gift wrapped and sent to the Navy. The condition of the hull images tells the story. The technology of bottom paints has come a long way since 1993. PPG have come out with some amazing bottom paints recently that take the issues of aquatic life clinging to hulls virtually out of the picture.

Separately, especially since blisters only appeared in boats that had prolonged immersion in water, this boat which has been virtually unused since 1993 would be unlikely to demonstrate blisters even if the resins that caused problems for Uniflite had been used in its construction.

This is incorrect. Wildly wrong as a matter of fact. The dates are wrong, the diagnosis is wrong, the cause is wrong. The blisters that formed due to fire retardent chemicals change were not just bottom blisters, but topside too. In extreme cases, the gelcoat looks like an inverted golfball. No water needed. Just grabbed moisture from the air. Additionally, the blisters were formed by an acid, not water.

The owner/seller has responded but I feel it necessary to give a forceful statement here for anyone who may be interested in this boat. The blisters statements made by Creek are incorrect. They are commonly held misconceptions so perhaps it's understandable. Willards did have some issues with blisters as do many boats, but the fire retardent crop of issues is a related but different animal (and yes, several 1980-ish Willards did have topside blisters though not plentiful like Uniflites).

If someone is interested, put blisters out of your mind until you viewed. Creek has made some speculative guesses that are not based in fact

Again, I have zero knowledge of the boat or seller.

Peter

Last edited:
As a reminder, speculative commentary in the Classifieds is not permitted.

T F Site Team

Last edited:
BTW - I have no affiliation with this boat or owner. Just a guy who is pretty familiar with Willards and the company.

Peter

Peter,

Speaking of Willard Marine, I watched an old Clint Eastwood movie on YouTube, https://youtu.be/63vnPrL_TUk?si=yyfxVBqCtVYjz14F
The Enforcer (the prequel to Dirty Harry). There is a shoot out in Willard Marine's boat yard. Good insight as to how it looked back in the early 70's. Thought some Willard fans might enjoy this old classic.

DJ

Revised Price - 1993 Willard Launch / Patrol Boat, Anacortes WA $65K

I'm reluctantly reducing my price to $65,000.00 firm. If it doesn't sell I'll just keep her.

For Sale: WILLARD LAUNCH PATROL CREW BOAT - USD 100,000

1993 40’ Willard Marine naval personnel launch boat. This launch boat was stored in a naval boat shed in San Diego California for over 25 years, and was never pressed into service, thus no name was assigned to this boat only its original hull number. The windows were boarded up and the interior has finally seen sunlight after all this time. Technically, it’s a new boat, and it can be considered a barn find.

Boat name: None
Hull # 12MPE9209
16,000lbs. dry weight
42” Draft Fully Loaded
40’OAL
11’-9” Beam
GRP Hull & Superstructure Full Displacement W/Keel
26” Bronze Prop
Twin 75 Gallon Fuel Tanks Gravity Fed
Forward & Aft Bilge Pumps 24 Volt
Manually Hand Operated Edson Bilge Pump
Cummins 6BTA 5.9 220HP M2 Engine
Engine hours: 10
Twin Disc MG 506A RH Rotation 2.50 to 1 Transmission
Commercial 24 volt electrical system
Bomar Ocean Rated Hatches
Hydraulic Steering
Second auxiliary rudder
Main Rudder Stainless Steel
Flock system to drain engine & transmission fluids

Built to NAVSEA specifications, this boat is number 9 of 9 of these unique launch boats produced by Willard Marine with this full displacement hull design. With her ideal low profile cross section makes this boat easy to dock and maneuver in high winds. There were hundreds of other 40' personnel boats made by Willard but with semi displacement hull designs. Documented average speed during test trials at Willard Marine before turning it over to the Navy was 18.76 knots with the stock single engine 220 HP 6BTA 5.9 Cummins with a Twin Disc 2.5 to 1 transmission. The engine is all analog with no troublesome electronic sensors.

The engineer's chest found in the engine bay contains full blueprints, service manuals, and detailed booklet of the ship testing done by Willard Marine prior to delivering it to the Navy. She is rated to carry 43 personnel in her forward, and aft compartments. Integrated hull full flotation compartmentalized buoyancy foam cored hull in the forward, aft and mid ship bulkheads which makes this boat virtually unsinkable. In the event of a hull breach or crash, the naval manual states: stay with the boat unless it has an out of control fire on board which would be highly unlikely. The hull was made with fire resistant resin as another safety feature. In an emergency situation these launch boats were designed to be pushed off and dropped 60+ feet off a ship into the water without sustaining damage or operational capabilities due to the full-length steel h beam molded into the hull. Would make a great passage maker with some customized upgrades.

Analog simplicity, ease of maintenance and reliability on a very capable boat. The entire boat is entirely made from GRP, so there’s nothing that will ever rot. The auxiliary rudder I'm told is to steer the water over the prop to prevent cavitations and for a maneuvering aid in backing up the boat. This boat comes with new spare prop in crate, new drive shaft with coupler in crate and a full complement of spare engine service parts, new Bimini top, and boat cover. Also included, is the steel 2 point boat lifting cable for ease of handling without the need for a travel lift to reposition or place on a transport trailer. New stainless hand rails. This boat has been fully serviced, and activated as per naval long term storage directions. The engine purrs like a kitten.

Google Drive link available with lots of additional images.
FOR SALE BY OWNER. TITLE IN HAND.

Back
Top Bottom