Tollycraft 26 : How much work is too much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To my mind the key would be weather you can use the boat "as is" , so the cruising season can be enjoyed and then worked on.

A few drips inside is no big deal (its a boat!) and any rot will not grow much and be harder , to repair.

Using the boat you will be able to "make a list , and check it twice."

A quick cure like house trailer roofing paint to stop deck leaks is easy to reverse when the real repair time comes.

Last edited:
Hmmmm? The seller agreeing to work with you to help rebed and replace some soft areas? He works at a marina and has the knowledge. I believe that part but getting him to help you after the sale is final really sounds like a stretch.

Marina craftsmen charge out their time at $100.00 to $150.00 an hour. He is not going to help you for free unless you get it in writing and establish an escrow account.

Picture this. You pull one stanchion to rebed it. It turns out there is a 2 square foot rotten or soft area. Maybe the headliner is bad, etc, etc. A 20 minute job just turned into two days. Your previous owner has other commitments.

Take a discounted price instead.

pete

Peter, I had the same reaction when I read that post; this will be a difficult commitment to enforce at the level required. Make a lower bid and buy the labour needed, as needed. This is going to be a long project and any substandard work will shout "Stay Away" to any follow on buyer. Doug

Hi folks,

I have been interested in getting a trawler for a long time and recently came across a 1985 Tollycraft 26 Sedan in my area that interests me as hopefully a good smaller (occasionally) trailerable trawler that would be good for weekend trips around the area.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/253246192366619/

The boat+trailer is listed for 12k, which I thought seemed appropriate given the model and condition of the boat but of course there are issues, and the survey yesterday added a few more.
In short:
-The deck hardware (cleats/railings) has let moisture into the core in the immediate area of the holes (looking at it from inside it looks like it went up to 1 inch from the hole).
-The door into the cabin needs to be rebuilt.
-There are various water stains on the interior wood under the corners of the opening windows (which need new sliding seals).
-The carpet/seats are generally just worn and old.

Mechanically and structurally the surveyor thought it was in great shape with the exception of the items above. So the questions is, how many weekends will I need to spend dealing with the 54 holes that need to be rebedded(+ possibly recored) and would you consider these problems bad enough to walk away or try to negotiate an even cheaper price? I am fairly handy and have a woodshop, and someone to help, but my fiberglass experience is limited.

Any follow up? Did you get the boat?

I have a 1974 and we love it. It is a great boat.

I have no issues trailering ours. I have a Dodge 2500 and it pulls it without difficulty and I would not hesitate to pull it for long distances. I pulled it from WA to Montana with no issues.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom