48 Tollycraft - leaks in cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sna

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 48
Anyone have any tips about solving leaks in the cabin on the back wall below the flybridge? Attached is a pic of my leak situation and I’ve seen this on other Tollys.

Looks to be coming from where the flybridge bolts into the roof of the main cabin, but there’s no way to get to those bolts above without cutting an access hole…unless someone has better suggestion.

Attachments

• EA8D00E8-8872-40D7-AFE7-8EF1AA9B9F06.jpg
    EA8D00E8-8872-40D7-AFE7-8EF1AA9B9F06.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 24
That looks like it’s right behind where the original Davit bolts on. Do you still have the davit there?

I’m not at all a fan of that much damage to the teak ply sitting on top there and fear this is a long time leak, in which case you may well have mush behind it. If so, everything needs to come out. Get out your tapping hammer and inspect both inside and out. If at all unsure, I’d even get out a drill bit and get me a core sample.

Check all fasteners in that area, clearly something has been leaking for some time. Seal the leaks, dry the core and if rotted, replacement of core would be preferred. If the davit is still there, this is an area that is structural. Look especially for post mfg fasteners that may have been done without sealant.

One other thing I notice is that piece of trim between the headliner and the back wall. That does not look original. That typically would be a strip of vinyl hidem gimp. I have a strong hypothesis somebody has been up there before you looking for leaks and had a reason to not put it back like it was originally. Could be the vinyl ripped. Could be the wood backer would no longer take a staple.

No davit there nor has there been one. I can see the water is coming from some bolts that are coming between the inner and outer walls of the flybridge. Like flybridge mounting screws, but there’s I have no idea how it can access them since it’s within the wall of the flybridge. I guess I could cut an access hole, but was wondering if anyone had any experience. Seen other tollys with same leak.

On the 48s, I don’t think that trim piece was covered with vinyl. Was on 43s? I did take the trim piece off and that’s when I could see where water was leaking from.

Most of the boats had a davit there at one time, make sure there are absolutely no failing fasteners where that might have once been. Another place would be the screws down from the flybridge bench seating into the flybridge deck. There is at least one screw in the corner that could see some standing water as it drains from the flybridge. That need to be sealed for sure.

I don’t want to entirely discount the screws that are horizontal on the outside that attach the flybridge, but those are “horizontal” and typically would not have much water running through there. It certainly could leak, but not typically this much. They screw into the wood core in the side walls of the cabin. If you think that is in fact your leak, follow up questions I’d start with: do the screws still “take hold” and tighten or do they just spin such that there is no pressure and no longer have the ability to clamp/seal.

How about the wood just under the flybridge lip along the sides. Is it damp or rotting and showing signs of water running along it?

Putting new sealant on the screws is not terribly difficult, but you need to make sure that is in fact the spot leaking and also that the sealant can be captured and will be stable. It’s been awhile since I’ve had the 8 inch or so trim that the curtains hang within down, but I believe it gives visible access to where those screws are located. Might help to determine if that is in fact the leak and help assess whether the core is stable enough to hold a screw. If it is, I would reseal that hole. Actually since I’m paranoid about wet core, I’d probably over drill it, fill with epoxy, redrill the hole and then re-seal. You then need to solve why water is channeling through there and that’s probably because of a gap where the flybridge meets the deck on the inside. I’ve caulked that area before for that reason.

If there is any moisture in the plywood core, you really need to get it dry. If it’s mush, replacement. I can tell you that any core leaks will rot if left to fester and that’s not a fun job.

Is this a common area? Maybe not unheard of, but I would not say this is an area where many have had leaks. Windows would be way more common. A little water channeling behind the flybridge and an annoying drip onto the top of the door, yeah not unheard of. Coming through those horizontal screws, much lower on the list and why I’m hesitant to go there immediately without checking other causal factors along the way.

I’ve had my 1980 48 since 2006. I’ve kept it undercover and that makes a ton of things simply easier over time. Any screw that I’ve not personally pulled and re-sealed I just assume are leaking. Same goes for windows if you have not pulled and re-sealed. Ah….one more possibility, there is a rail Stantion base up there near that corner that could drip down…that’s a possibility too.

Thanks for the detailed thoughts. I will be out at the boat in a couple of days and will take a closer look at some of the things you mentioned. my best current guess is that the seal along the wall of the flybridge has deteriorated and water gets under the flybridge wall and then finds it way to some screw holes. Good news is that the wood on the wall is not soaked (yet).

Back
Top Bottom