Can the Cruise Industry survive ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One problem of course is knowing where the bottom is.

I think of every time I've thought it was going to drop and what if I'd sold all those times. If I had I'd be far behind where I am even with a huge drop now.

Just looked at stocks and mutual funds we own. Only 1 is up for the last year. However, all are up for the last 5 years. So, I'll stick to buy and hold. Now for those nearing retirement, my recommendations are different.

QM2 is the only ocean liner afloat, as opposed to cruise ship. (Size and displacement) We've sailed her 9 times and plan to do so again this summer. She departs NYC (Brooklyn Marine Terminal) and seven nights later docks in Southampton or vice versa. The airport in Southampton is an hour from DUB, CDG, etc, or a bus ride to London. No islands, tours, ladders, hucksters, just the sea, good menu, fine entertainment, and room to be alone...Jim Ferry.

Greetings,
Mr. ls. I think you may mean QE II. The QM (Queen Mother) has passed to the big castle in the sky resplendent with buckets of gin...

QM=Queen Mary 2= Second ship of the name. She is a bit over 15 years afloat.

Of course the cruise industry will survive. It is a perfect way to service first world customers with workers paid third world wages. I suspect also third world health and safety standards.
Also no property taxes.
Too good for business to pass up.

This is from Celebrity. I expect other lines in the same stable will have similar requirements.
"Today, it is apparent that COVID-19 presents the most serious health risks to older individuals, the immunocompromised, and those with serious, underlying medical conditions. Therefore, effective Monday, March 16th, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, at the time of embarkation, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel. You may utilize the fit to travel letter on the Travel Advisory page of our website for presentation to your physician. https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert"

Govt. advice here is not to travel overseas. Apart from the risk of getting infected on a cruise ship the risk of getting quarantined overseas is a worry, and uninsurable, so I`ve no desire to get on a ship anyway. I doubt the "70 plus" thing is purely age related, it`s more the conditions a person carries, whether 70+ or not.

Okay, so I’m curious about something. Since the majority of the cruise industry has agreed to a 30 day shutdown, do the now cash-strapped lines take advantage of this unexpected break in the schedule to do major maintenance, or not?

For instance, I believe that Holland America’s Nieuw Amsterdam has been cruising with one of two Azipods out of service for a couple of months now. Is now the time to replace the bad unit?

I know, not a trawler question, but since I was playing with Marine Traffic and trying to figure out where all those ships are going to go, it occurred to me.

New Zealand has today closed entry by cruise ships, until June 30.
Carnival and P&O have suspended their cruises and a Royal Carribbean cruise departing Sydney this evening is reported not to be departing for the cruise. Many cruise ships leaving Sydney cruise via NZ, as well as Pacific island countries which have become none too receptive to ships.
Australia is banning gatherings of 500+ people from next Monday. Loading a cruise ship involves a gathering of more than 500(though it may not, depending on the number of cancellations:)).
NZ has also imposed a requirement that everyone entering NZ, citizen or not, go into self quarantine for 14 days.
Coming on top of Princess suspending operations,this looks very much like the end of cruising in this region for now.

A major disaster was announced by the media.....
a shortage of toilet paper.
So I drove to the local Publix (grocery store) to verify this disaster and stock up on canned milk.... I went down the paper product aisle .... sur'nuff, no toilet paper, no paper towel, no napkins.... (they did have paper plates)
Now, was this disaster caused by the media's announcement or..... just consumer greater demand? We will never know the truth.

As an alternative, I suggested just hosing off with the hose and pat dry with a towel. I did warn them, the neighbors might complain.(innocent look)

Oh, yes, I did get the 6 cans of milk I wanted. LOL

Last edited:
Apparently the shelves are empty of bottled water. Which begs the question, "if you're going to be quarantined at home for 2 weeks with your family, why aren't the beer and wine shelves empty? Seems there should be lines forming outside the liquor stores". :rolleyes:

Ted

Adult survival items; beer, wine, liquor, cheese, crackers, summer sausage. Throw $10 worth of quarters outside and tell the kids, there are $15 worth of quarters, lock the door when they leave the house and tell them to pee in a bucket.

There are parking lots of cruise ships docked at Port Everglades and on Stock Island and some still trying to get back. Also a bunch in the Bahamas and a few headed to the Virgin Islands.

I noticed that Norwegian is offering 150% and 125 percent refunds as credits but full refund in method of payment for anyone not wanting those. Now, only problem is a time delay and if your payment was not direct, will the agency refund then to you or still be alive to do so.

Okay, so I’m curious about something. Since the majority of the cruise industry has agreed to a 30 day shutdown, do the now cash-strapped lines take advantage of this unexpected break in the schedule to do major maintenance, or not?

I doubt it, when they go to scrap the cruise ship due to no demand in the "new world", the scrap value won't go up because maintenance was performed! They're too busy hiding their liquid assets away before it's counted in the bankruptcy!

remember

[

remember legionnaires ??? of course recovery is inevitable - question is how can one "profit from THIS crisis" (Rahm's, and others quote)

There are parking lots of cruise ships docked at Port Everglades and on Stock Island and some still trying to get back. Also a bunch in the Bahamas and a few headed to the Virgin Islands.

I noticed that Norwegian is offering 150% and 125 percent refunds as credits but full refund in method of payment for anyone not wanting those. Now, only problem is a time delay and if your payment was not direct, will the agency refund then to you or still be alive to do so.

Where are they parking the cruise ships at Stock Island? Off the harbor entrance at anchor?

Last edited:
Cruise ship non use is not even the tip of the economic downturn iceberg that global economy seems to be running into.

With nearly all forms of mass-person travel greatly abbreviated and full national lockdowns, the next several weeks may paint a bleak economic-future picture.

Sure hope that a Coronavirus medical remedy can soon be devised and amply dispersed... otherwise... ... ...

Hold on tight!

Art,
I too hope for the medical remedy, but due to realistic time lines needed for things like vaccine, logic says "hold on tight".

Docks in South Florida have become parking lots of cruise ships but many more off shore. Large numbers anchored in the Bahamas, including some with confirmed cases aboard. One British ship was last in St. Marteen and denied entry to Jamaica, denied entry to the Bahamas, although may have supplies and medics taken to it today, looking toward US and Cuba and feel their best chance of being admitted is now Cuba. Look at Marine Traffic and you'll be amazed how many cruise ships in the area of South Florida and the Bahamas. Look up to Port Canaveral too as they'd developing a traffic jam.

Last edited:
In each of the following cases, humanity hopes for ASAP creation of an antidote or deterrent to thwart Coronavirus afflictions...

Two Draconian Coronavirus Scenarios:

1. For many months [maybe even a year] business of many sorts shut down around the globe in attempt to limit the spread of Coronavirus and in hopes to keep many of the public from experiencing the sickness. Also, attempting to limit the number of deaths extending from contraction of the virus.

Outcome: Global economic depression at the worst contemplation level. Possibly war. Therefore many millions could die. And, likelihood that the Coronavirus will eventually go dormant for a while but then reappear; with not much regarding natural antibodies already built up inside humans. Sooo... therefrom our nations will go again, with international business shutdowns; OR maybe worse?

2. Immediately remove current restrictions on all social interaction items regarding Coronavirus. Keep mostly all businesses open and functioning. Ramp up medical facilities to care for the ill. Let the cards of lives lost or saved fall where they will. Allow human beings' internal natural antibody virus capabilities to accommodate personal health needs.

Outcome: Globally, tough times of many sorts occur. However, the global economy keeps functioning and increased chance for wars may have been diverted.

Civilization has no easy way out of this contagion virus mess. Perhaps an intermix of the two above scenarios could work best. One way or another... If Coronavirus onslaught throws us all into international economic depression; many items will become totally unacceptable - for a high percentage of world population.

Way to save as many lives as possible and make this global transition as comfortable as possible are what needs to be applied. It appears we may be screwed if we do and screwed if we don't.

Last edited:
In each of the following cases, humanity hopes for ASAP creation of an antidote or deterrent to thwart Coronavirus afflictions...

Two Draconian Coronavirus Scenarios:

Then there's scenario number 3. 20% of the USA population (70 million +/-) has it, and the mortality rate is equal to or less than this years flu.

Ted

Then there's scenario number 3. 20% of the USA population (70 million +/-) has it, and the mortality rate is equal to or less than this years flu.

Ted

Which outcome of course provides little cannon fodder for the internet doom and gloomers and political junkies.

Which outcome of course provides little cannon fodder for the internet doom and gloomers and political junkies.

When this is all said and done, there will be a glut on the TP market. LOL

My wife has me under a self-imposed seclusion at home. I can't say that I blame her. I'm 73, diabetic and undergoing chemo. Talk about high risk for the virus.

Australia followed NZ banning cruise ships docking here for a month, extensions likely. There are Aussies on cruise ships now, if/when they get home it`s self quarantine anyway. I`m expecting Celebrity to cancel our cruise with a cash refund, before I do getting only a credit. They can`t provide a ship, even if I wanted to board it, which I don`t.

My wife has me under a self-imposed seclusion at home. I can't say that I blame her. I'm 73, diabetic and undergoing chemo. Talk about high risk for the virus.

Mike, sorry to hear that. Hope it all turns out well.

Stay safe!

Ted

Thanks Ted. I heard from my brother this morning. They're on a 2.5 month round the world cruise. They boarded a week ago in New Zealand and I hadn't heard from him since then. He said the remaining 64 days of their cruise had been cancelled and they were being put ashore in NZ. They're going to rent a BandB for a month and just hunker down the figure out how to get home.

Good luck Bill.

Thanks Ted. I heard from my brother this morning. They're on a 2.5 month round the world cruise. They boarded a week ago in New Zealand and I hadn't heard from him since then. He said the remaining 64 days of their cruise had been cancelled and they were being put ashore in NZ. They're going to rent a BandB for a month and just hunker down the figure out how to get home.

Good luck Bill.

And a week ago, that cruise line should have known enough to cancel the cruise but they will do anything to start them. That insures they don't have to refund the money they've been paid. Now, they can do what they want as far as refunds or credits.

I agree totally Mike. It is the only prudent thing to do!!!! Hopefully it turns out to be for naught, but I don't think it will be. I hope you can avoid this thing, and that your conditions improve really soon.

I guess I fall into the "doom and gloom" category (at least according to some of you) because I have been reporting info that I have found from what I consider to be reliable sources (like international doctors, nurses, immunologists, and reports directly from the affected areas) and this info has been at least a bit scary. I guess some of you think my motives are for personal gain (somehow?) or just to create a sense of panic for my own satisfaction or no other good reason?
In my many years of being a first responder in a large city, and having been to many hospitals during periods of high demand, I have never witnessed anything even in the ballpark as to what the overrun ER's are experiencing in Italy right now. This is based on photos and reports coming from Italian doctors that are trying to survive it (work within it). Unfortunately it is not just the elderly and those with comorbidity that are experiencing the need for medical intervention (although yes, those groups have higher rates).
This "outbreak" has only really been going for about 10 weeks and most places in the world are only really just at the beginning (first stages). We (US and Canada) are just about to enter the "full blown" stage of exponential growth. As one source states the growth; case,case, cluster, cluster, BOOM. The boom is almost here, so my advise is "get ready now" because time is almost out. Looking at Italy and info from China during their peak, this is going to be bad. I know, there I go again, doom and gloom.

Realize, that if we react perfectly to this to minimize the spread and outcomes, we will (hopefully) look back and think that maybe we "over reacted", and that my friends would be a very good thing.:thumb:

We are all entitled to our differing opinions, however, if the one's who are saying this is "only like the flu" or words to that affect and they turn out in fact to be wrong, we will all pay a higher price as a result. Examples of this abound in the flu outbreak of 1918/19. JMHO, and I hope I am wrong, but unfortunately, the longer this goes on, the more I fear that I am not.

Good luck Bill.
NZ has said it`s not letting cruise ships dock, but if the cruise started in NZ maybe it`s different. NZ has a 14 day self isolation requirement for arrivals,Australia adopted it.

If they get to do some touring I hope they are in the south island with its magnificent alpine scenery and fjord like sounds. But the north island is nice too.
Stay well yourself. As they say"it never rains but it pours".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom