Helmsman Hacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
great idea on the ladder. any hacks to keep stern platform rails clean

Great idea on the hooks for the ladder storage. where did you get them? also, any hacks for keeping the rails attached to the underside of the stern platform cleaned?

Attachments

• 20231001_134511.jpg
    20231001_134511.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 14
Great idea on the hooks for the ladder storage. where did you get them? also, any hacks for keeping the rails attached to the underside of the stern platform cleaned?

Prime it with a suitable metal primer and paint it with bottom paint up to the waterline. That'll keep the growth down significantly for less cleaning effort.

Capran, I found them at West Marine.

Hooks...Amazon or Ebay. The ones on Ebay appear better for holding a ladder rail.

Attachments

• Amazon Hooks.jpg
    Amazon Hooks.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Ebay Hooks.jpg
    Ebay Hooks.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 7
Prime it with a suitable metal primer and paint it with bottom paint up to the waterline. That'll keep the growth down significantly for less cleaning effort.

thanks. How would you prep then? just not worry about sanding the stainless and just sand it off? we only keep the boat in the water for 2 months during the summer, although when we got her, it had been in the water full time, which is where most of the growth occurred. I was hoping to find a way to clean it off without sanding the stainless.

thanks. How would you prep then? just not worry about sanding the stainless and just sand it off? we only keep the boat in the water for 2 months during the summer, although when we got her, it had been in the water full time, which is where most of the growth occurred. I was hoping to find a way to clean it off without sanding the stainless.

Sanding the stainless to get it clean and slightly roughed up for primer to adhere is no problem.

boohoo

Sanding the stainless to get it clean and slightly roughed up for primer to adhere is no problem.
boo hoo
just wish someone knew of something to remove the scale without hurting that beautiful stainless.

boo hoo
just wish someone knew of something to remove the scale without hurting that beautiful stainless.

You could scrape it off more maybe a little bit of very fine sanding, and then polish the stainless back to a shine. But personally, I've started taking the attitude that there is absolutely no surface below the waterline left unpainted except for anodes. Makes for much less growth, much easier cleaning, etc. Things can stay shiny stainless above the waterline where they're easy to keep clean.

You could scrape it off more maybe a little bit of very fine sanding, and then polish the stainless back to a shine. But personally, I've started taking the attitude that there is absolutely no surface below the waterline left unpainted except for anodes. Makes for much less growth, much easier cleaning, etc. Things can stay shiny stainless above the waterline where they're easy to keep clean.

Thank you. I get it. I don't think I was cut out for trawler life. so many working parts. Whoever said it was easier than sailing is sadly mistaken. sigh

APP hack - dont die for diesel

For those fueling up this summer, Try loading the Boaters Guide App.

I found the fuel prices fairly accurate.

It'd pay me dividends to go Anacortes to fuel up before heading to Alaska. It'll be my annual dry run before heading North.

Below is today's prices for reference:

Screenshot_20240331-092527_Boaters Guide.jpg

Screenshot_20240331-092246_Boaters Guide.jpg

A product like 'on and off hull and bottom cleaner" would clean your crusty stainless right up. Be careful with it thought, it is nasty stuff you want to keep off your skin, and out of your lungs. If you want to really shine it up you can get 4 1/2" felt wheels for an angle grinder on Amazon and use it with black metal polish bars that would make it shine like a mirror.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 10.44.48 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 10.44.48 AM.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
For those fueling up this summer, Try loading the Boaters Guide App.

I found the fuel prices fairly accurate.

It'd pay me dividends to go Anacortes to fuel up before heading to Alaska. It'll be my annual dry run before heading North.

Convenient marinas to refuel on way to SE Alaska via Inside Passage:

Vancouver Island: Nanaimo, Campbell River, Port McNeil, Port Hardy

BC: Shearwater, Klemtu, Hartley Bay, Prince Rupert

SE Alaska: (Petro Marine Services) Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Juneau, Auke Bay and Sitka.

Enjoy the trip North. Hope to see you up there during July/August.

Robert - definitely!
FWT - Yes sorry, I didnt say it just the PNW. I was overly excited because my homeport is listed very near the bottom $$$, good to go somewhere else. :)

A product like 'on and off hull and bottom cleaner" would clean your crusty stainless right up. Be careful with it thought, it is nasty stuff you want to keep off your skin, and out of your lungs. If you want to really shine it up you can get 4 1/2" felt wheels for an angle grinder on Amazon and use it with black metal polish bars that would make it shine like a mirror.

wow. Thank you for that. I'll start looking for it! I use on off for fiberglass rust stains and it works great for that. But I know what I have for that says not for use on metal.

Last edited:
Best coffee and keeping it quiet

For those might know I roast my own beans and I'm a coffee snob.

Taken a proven setup from the camper and duplicating it for the Helmsman.

1) Its makes pretty good lattes
2) It doesn't make a mess
3) Easy to dispose of grounds
4) the most important for the first mate, doesn't make noise!
5) Does NOT take 1500 watts but 0 watts and a tea pot.

Aero press + a USB frother.

Grind beans as you please or buy french press ((semi course) coffee
Heat water in tea kettle and a small pan of milk on propane.
As the water is heating, tilt milk pan over flame and froth.

Hot water into the aero press. Pour coffee and frothed milk.

Go to the bridge and watch the sunrise.

Amazon.com: Clevr Blends Handheld Milk Frother, Stirrer, Mixer and Wisker for Coffee, Tea, Latte, Cappuccino, and Hot Chocolate Drink Prep and Fast & Easy Foam Creation, USB Re-Chargeable, No Batteries Needed: Home & Kitchen

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NTYK9R8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YVL8SF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the main Helmsman thread Tom asked about poles that were installed to hang stuff in the boat. Putting it here because it is a "hack" sort of. Robert, who previously owned our boat, put in a couple of vertical rods to hang stuff on. The outside rod has become our extra line hanger (first picture), wet dog towels, pfds, etc holder. It is a painted wood, 80" closet rod with rubber ends (second picture) and ss hooks. It wedges so snugly that it does not fall over in rough seas (as long as you don't use it to steady yourself). In the rear head, he put in a nice pole with an adjustable end and angled wooden pegs (third pic). Also very durable and does not fall over. Cheap hack with no drilling into the fiberglass or teak. Thanks Robert!

Back
Top Bottom