Helmsman 38e coming soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amxr39

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Allegro
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38E Hull #61
Hello everyone.
My Helmsman38e is being built and is number 8 in line to be finished. It should ship in January. We’ve been looking over leather samples and Caesarstone samples, including full slabs.
I would love to see some pictures of your interiors. Tell me what you like or maybe wish you did different.
We’ve opted to not use the wood blinds and go with a pleated day/night blind, like used in a Nordic Tug.
Thank you.
Mike

Last edited:
Congratulations! Exciting journey you are starting on. And welcome to the discussions. This page on one of the posts here shows a couple of pictures of our boat interior. We have Roman shades. My wife wanted to brighten the interior up. I like the standard blinds better. You can have them down and still open the blind to get some light in when the sun is bright. Just personal preference for me.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s64/another-new-start-helmsman-59873-77.html

Something I might do differently on our boat is attempt a reconfiguration of the day head. I would eliminate the access door to the ER, and then consider placing the toilet against that forward wall. That would allow for more counter space for the sink. Or, you could keep the original configuration and perhaps put an enclosed shower back against the bulkhead wall. Something to discuss with Scott and Van to see if the engineering would work. We have yet to use that ER door. It opens in to the ER, and we have a few things stored behind it in the ER, so can’t open it. If you opt for the Splendide Washer Dryer then the idea is a moot point.

We added a grill/refrigerator combo up top and it is one of our favorite additions. It works extremely well for us. In order to do that you would need to opt for an arch. We are glad we got an arch. It works well with the Bimini.

Keep us posted as you move along and feel free to ask plenty of questions. There is a lot of Helmsman knowledge on this board!

Welcome

No pics to share, but we began with the countertop selection, and used Creamy Marfil and are happy with it. We wanted something on the lighter side but with some pattern / texture without that becoming too much. From there we chose the leather color and used #8. I'm color blind (my wife does the color selections) but its an off-white / tan / cream. The overall look is what we were shooting for and are happy with it all.

You asked for pics of interior fabric/ leather and countertops. Ask and ye shall receive.

Attachments

• IMG_3304.jpg
    IMG_3304.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3303.jpg
    IMG_3303.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 35
I read that a Helmsman owner had started writing a user’s manual. He said he had two binders full completed already. I’d like to contact this person if you’re reading this. I believe ha has a new Helmsman on order too.

Thank you Tom. There was somebody that posted he had filled 2 three ring binders with a manual, so far. He may have had a 43. Or he may have a 38 and is getting a 46, because he said he'd need to start all over again soon. Sound familiar?

Thank you Tom. There was somebody that posted he had filled 2 three ring binders with a manual, so far. He may have had a 43. Or he may have a 38 and is getting a 46, because he said he'd need to start all over again soon. Sound familiar?

I'd doubt there would be more than AmyAnns, try sending a private message to chanprr. He is building the first 46 and traded in his 38E.

Tom

I'd doubt there would be more than AmyAnns, try sending a private message to chanprr. He is building the first 46 and traded in his 38E.

Tom

Amy Ann's document is certainly the best manual I've read for a 38E.

amxr39: I will send you my document. Some parts might be useful.

Hi Mike: congratulations on your great choice of vessel. You will love it like we do ours.
There are many personal ideas that we all can throw in the hat. Ours is a 2007 Mariner made before the name change. Here are just three thoughts:
1: we find the bed to be tight. There must be a way to get an extra 6 inches of width. We are not big people, but the head narrows too much. We tried flipping around and have our heads at the bottom but too difficult to get in.
2: ventilation in the master bedroom could use a 2nd hatch in the ceiling in front of the one now. Right over your head.
3: Don't know how your galley is designed we made changes so the top stove, toaster oven and microwave are stacked. See picture.
Good luck. Let me know if you need more thoughts. We made a lot of changes.
Regards
Barrie
The six stages of life: Toyboat, Sailboat, Motorboat, Motor Home, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.

Attachments

• counter 3.jpg
    counter 3.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 15
My 38E is coming along. The hull is out of the moulds. The deck is installed on the helm.
Our build is different as it has custom windows in the front sleeping quarters, located just a little higher than the mattress providing a view while laying in bed while at anchor. We had this on our Swift 30 and loved it. Our dog did too.
I ordered my 38 without a generator and added 450 watts of solar power as well as 5 house batteries. I requested soft start on the main 16k btu air conditioner. I hope to be able to cool things down for a few hours when on anchor. I've never needed air conditioning while on anchor, but I hope to go to the Bahama's in 2025. Anyone want to join me?
I've also requested that the thruster controls be relocated next to the throttle on the starboard side of the helm to make it easy to reach them while standing outside the helm door while backing into a slip.
Having no generator, 5 house batteries and solar panels, I intend to watch the Cerbo GX Touch Panel frequently. Unfortunately, it is hidden down low in the breaker panel enclosure. At my age, with my arthritic back, bending down or squatting down to monitor the Touch panel mfrequently will be very difficult. Fortunately the GX Touch 50 connects to the Cerbo box with an HDMI cable and a USB cable making it very easy to relocate to an area where it will be easy to read. Helmsman has not agreed to do this yet. Interestingly, there are analog meters in the power panel that are somewhat redundant to the Touch 50. I'm still working on that one.
I'm scheduled to ship some time in January. I'm hull number 61. Shipping to Charleston, S.C.

Our build is different as it has custom windows in the front sleeping quarters, located just a little higher than the mattress providing a view while laying in bed while at anchor. We had this on our Swift 30 and loved it. Our dog did too.

Will these by hullside windows? Interesting! Looking forward to seeing pics.

Back
Top Bottom