Gh74

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wannaboat

So I'm curious, every time I go to the GH website I see the GH74. I have to tell you I love this boat and I wonder why one has never been built, any ideas?

There simply isn't much demand for boats in that size range. To give you an idea, there are only 22 70+ foot yachts listed on Yacht World in the US and only 9 of those are <90ft. It's simply a tiny market.

I really hope they get an order, because it is a gorgeous boat and I love their design philosophy.

I would love to see it built.

It's a design that just screams Cruise........"

Yes, me too. It's my if I ever win the lottery boat.

You'd need to, and a biggie at that. No-ne has mentioned this as a reason why no-one is having one built, but there is the small but important fact it would leave little change out of $10million to build. Folk who can afford that sort of money tend to go for pleasure yachts of fancier and faster lines, which are crewed. Just sayin'...

You'd need to, and a biggie at that. No-ne has mentioned this as a reason why no-one is having one built, but there is the small but important fact it would leave little change out of $10million to build. Folk who can afford that sort of money tend to go for pleasure yachts of fancier and faster lines, which are crewed. Just sayin'...

Not sure about that, from the GH site: "Introductory pricing will keep a fully outfitted GH74 under $3 million, which is extremely competitive with similarly sized and equipped vessels."

Not sure about that, from the GH site: "Introductory pricing will keep a fully outfitted GH74 under $3 million, which is extremely competitive with similarly sized and equipped vessels."

I've no doubt that figure is quoted. But having just purchased property advertising full home and land package including marina berth, from, (the operative word), $386,000, only to find our quite modest dwelling will end up at least $580,000, with no marina berth, I think you can see where I'm coming from. It's called 'harsh reality', as opposed to attention grabbing advertising.

It's what fully outfitted means really. I think you can guess that every little extra thing you know you'll want, from navigation package on, will add hugely to that end price. I suspect the 'fully outfitted' is pretty basic. Enough to get the boat to your berth, but not great for the cruising you'll want to do, and the creature comforts most would want. Maybe my $10m was a bit big, but most fancy 70 foot pleasure yachts certainly come in around that. But, hey, maybe in the US they actually mean what they say..? :ermm:

Last edited:
There are plenty of boats available in that size range, proven models. Those who are going to purchase a boat like it, aren't going to go to GH for it. Their best chance at selling one would be to a 47' or so owner wanting to move up, but still a big jump. Probably could have stood a better chance of getting someone to move up to a 60' or so and then later tried the 74'.

Maybe it's just me, but if I were spending that kind of money, I wouldn't want to be the first. There 47 is very nice, but growing a boat exponentially in displacement could easily have unforseen consequences.

Ted

I would just like to know how they plan to get a GH74 out of Gainesville. 74' with a 23'9" beam and over 100 tons....really?

Is the 5700 gallons of fuel also ballast?

Will the introductory price of $3M cover the cost of the molds?

King beds in the master stateroom are fantastic!

Justice would be best served if this pipe dream is taken out of the lineup and they concentrate on delivering hull #1 of the TT35. Yeah I know, hull #2 was delivered and is in the user test program.

I would just like to know how they plan to get a GH74 out of Gainesville. 74' with a 23'9" beam and over 100 tons....really?

Is the 5700 gallons of fuel also ballast?

Will the introductory price of $3M cover the cost of the molds?

King beds in the master stateroom are fantastic!

Justice would be best served if this pipe dream is taken out of the lineup and they concentrate on delivering hull #1 of the TT35. Yeah I know, hull #2 was delivered and is in the user test program.

That's an entirely additional factor but would certainly play a role in anyone's decision. They can't deliver a $300,000 boat on time, even close to on time, without all sorts of delays and issues so who is going to trust them with a $3 million or $4 million or whatever boat.

As to the $3 million covering the molds, it certainly doesn't cover the cost of building the boat and the cost of tooling and molds. I doubt they could even afford to build that boat without finding a new and additional resource for funds. Can they even afford to finish all the TT35's they have started without taking money received on a future boat to finish a previous one, boat D funds to finish boat A kind of thing?

Boat builders put concepts on their pages all the time and that is all the GH74 is.

Delivered sort of. Has it been completed in every way and turned over to the owner to go cruise? And let's not overlook that there are things about the first group they say they're modifying for future builds, so in a way they're all somewhat like prototypes.

They use Mz. Tron's quote liberally on their web site and state she subsequently became owner of hull #1 and yet they haven't finished the boat, haven't delivered it, and both parties have become very silent in all regards to it. They post the sea trials of the shell of that boat on their site, sea trials from nearly a year ago, and still no boat. Notice no updates on #3 or #4. So they got one boat partially finished in #2 just to put in a show.

Common practice in the boatbuilding world for boat #2 to fund boat #1 completion, with boat #3 funding boat #2, goes on for a while. Been there in the thick of it as it was happening, fortunately my funds were not lost. You don't want to be the last boat in the scheme!! It was UGLY.

Common practice in the boatbuilding world for boat #2 to fund boat #1 completion, with boat #3 funding boat #2, goes on for a while. Been there in the thick of it as it was happening, fortunately my funds were not lost. You don't want to be the last boat in the scheme!! It was UGLY.

And you never know which will be the last boat in the scheme. A bit like playing Russian Roulette. Never deal with a builder who might have to resort to that. Careful sometimes to know. Those are also often the same builders giving low prices as they've lost all sight of being profit, just trying to keep the scheme going. Basically the boat building Ponzi scheme.

For us who know the boat builder personally, and have spent hundreds of house at the helm and maintaining a Great Harbour, you gain a unique perspective on boats and the builder. I have great respect for Mirage. Craftsmen and entrepreneurs are a different breed. They are willing to do things differently than others. They don't do schedules well and won't turn loose of the boat till they get it right. I have no problem with that. It so easy to throw stones.....

Last edited:
For us who know the boat builder personally, and have spent hundreds of house at the helm and maintaining a Great Harbour, you gain a unique perspective on boats and the builder. I have great respect for Mirage. Craftsmen and entrepreneurs are a different breed. They are willing to do things differently than others. They don't do schedules well and won't turn loose of the boat till they get it right. I have no problem with that. It so easy to throw stones.....

You're his friend and have no problem, but boat purchasers have serious problems with builders who don't meet their commitments. This discussion was regarding why the 74 hadn't sold any. No one watching the ever shifting timeline of the 35 would dare purchase a $3+ million dollar boat from him that he's never built.

The excuse that craftsmen and entrepreneurs are a different breed is bogus. He's set up as a businessman and these things are very poor business practices. Where is hull #1? When will #2 be completely done and ready for him to do the loop? Any performance numbers on it? What about #3 and #4? What about the changes he's making that #1-#4 won't have the benefit of so they'll have to live with the issues the changes address?

As with all builders, you deal with Mirage at your own risk. However, all these facts are part of one determining what that risk is and whether to risk $3+ million on a 74. Based on the 35, I would expect it to take him 4 years to build a 74.

I'm glad you have a Great Harbour you love. Very happy for you and not criticizing your finished boat in any way. He's got happy customers, but he's also had unhappy ones. He's publicized the TT35 so he must also live with his failure to meet any time he's quoted in the entire process. They're his dates, his promises. The waiting buyers aren't speaking and aren't going to as they're still locked into the situation.

If you would purchase the 74 from Great Harbour based on your knowledge and friendship, then that's fine too.

As the owner of hull #2 says, "patience is an essential element". LOTS OF PATIENCE.

As the owner of hull #2 says, "patience is an essential element". LOTS OF PATIENCE.

I obviously don't have it. He really had no choice but patience and handled it far better than I would have. You commit to me and I expect you to meet the commitment.

Also i would have this boat built if I had the money.

Tell me why you would choose the GH 74 vs all the other boats in that range? Vs. the North Pacific 62. Vs. Outer Reef 72 and 70', vs. Grand Banks 60, Hatteras 75, Marlow 66, KK 55, Nordhavn 68 and 72, Searay 65, Ocean Alexander 70, Cheoy Lee 72, Horizon 72, 73 or 74? I'm just curious as to the attraction in a never previously built boat by a builder who has never built a boat close to it's size and in the perspective of this. He took the order for Hull #1 the first of 2016 for delivery by the Annapolis show. He then moved that date to Thanksgiving. Well #1 hasn't been delivered yet and #2 made the Annapolis show but in 2017 and not finished at that time and is just now approaching readiness. So, 16 months later than stated for first boat and hull #1 still not delivered.

You asked how long to build the 74. I'd say two years to complete the design and build the molds and two years to build the boat based on history. 2 years time to complete a TT35 so double that for a 74. With existing mold should be 6 to 9 months max and without one 12-15 months max.

Just trying to see what would motivate you to contract for the 74. Not saying it's wrong, just I don't understand.

Getting a Lou Codega designed boat would be good reason.

I don't like the look of those other boats, they're to flash. I love the look of the 74 and I like the fact that it has a beam of nearly 24 ft. That's almost 10 ft more than any of the boats you listed. I love the shallow draft and the range capability because of the larger fuel tanks afforded by the wider beam and what Northern Spy said.

This boat just appeals to me on so many levels.

Last edited:
I don'tblike the look of those other boats, they're to flash. I love the look of the 74 and I like the fact that it has a beam of nearly 24 ft. That's almost 10 ft more than any of the boats you listed. I love the shallow draft and the range capability because of the larger fuel tanks afforded by the wider beam and what Northern Spy said.

This boat just appeals to me on so many levels.

Agree with this. I think it looks far better than any of those listed. Lou has proven his designs are bulletproof for what they are designed to do. "An engineer's boat" IMHO.

Just look at N37 prices today - EVERY ONE of them, even the older ones. There's something driving that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom