Source for Exhaust Insulation Blanket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Looking for source for exhaust insulation for dry section of my 3-inch exhaust coming off manifold of my Perkins 4.236. Steve D's article mentions using a blanket or a hard-coat insulation. Unfortunately, I do not have a pic of my exact exhaust, but configuration is very similar to the attached pic with 'silver' blanket.

Any thoughts on sourcing these insulation materials? Steve D likes the hard-coat (attached pic with black blanket), but the removable blanket (silver pic) would be fine too. Current fiberglass wrap gets pretty dang hot and difficult to work nearby.

Thoughts?

Peter

https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ExhaustSystems170-FINAL.pdf

Exhaust Insulation.jpg
Exhaust Hard Coat.jpg

Peter,
My suggestion would be to try any of the companies that deal with marine exhaust. Two that I know of are: Seaboard Marine (Tony Athens) in Oxnard, Ca. and National Marine Exhaust (Scott) in Marysville, Wa. NME did my exhaust and it is the removable blanket.
Good luck,
Tom

There closer to the OP, is Marine Exhaust Systems Alabama Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama, Inc.
and De'angelo in Fort Lauderdale.
https://deangelomarine.com/
Both high quality companies.

Advise you call them rather than use websites.

Thumbs-up on Mesa Marine. I dealt with them 20-years ago on an exhaust elbow. Really nice folks. I didn't think of them for insulation.

Ditto on website. Mesa's was impossible to navigate back then. Looks like it hasn't changed :)

Peter

Thumbs-up on Mesa Marine. I dealt with them 20-years ago on an exhaust elbow. Really nice folks. I didn't think of them for insulation.

Ditto on website. Mesa's was impossible to navigate back then. Looks like it hasn't changed :)

Peter

Whoops I just noted you are now in Ensenada, not St Pete.
I'd think the guys at Baja Naval would have a source.

I like the look of solid myself, due to having the blankets on my Detroit 8v92"s and they definitely age and eventually need replacement before making a big mess. I wonder which is cooler to the touch?

Last edited:
Whoops I just noted you are now in Ensenada, not St Pete.
I'd think the guys at Baja Naval would have a source.

I like the look of solid myself, due to having the blankets on my Detroit 8v92"s and they definitely age and eventually need replacement before making a big mess. I wonder which is cooler to the touch?

Boat is in Ensenada, I'm in St Pete FL. I used to live in San Francisco but moved to Florida several years ago. I recently brought the boat to Ensenada for a refit. Original plan was Baja Naval, but that didn't work out. I found a small team of guys (Niza Marine - Home) who have been great to deal with.

Occurs to me that Ensenada, an area that comprises a population of 500k, is the launch pad for all sorts of off-road races. Can't walk too many blocks without seeing a garage with some serious race machines. I'll check around next time I'm there and see if I can find something for diesel exhaust

Steve D's article insinuates the hard-core jacket is preferred for the reasons you cite: durability. Not sure if it's as cool to the touch though.

The hard coat is a baked on process, so the unit would have to come off and go to a shop set up to do it.

The hard coat is a baked on process, so the unit would have to come off and go to a shop set up to do it.

Thanks - engine is out of boat and exhaust elbow off the engine, so timing is good.

QUESTION - I reached out to Mesa Marine and while they carry the hard-coat, he mentioned he prefers the blanket, though did not give a reason. The Steve D article implies a preference for hard coat. Any specific knowledge out there on which is better?

Also, engine/boat are in Ensenada, south of San Diego. I see Tony's shop is in Oxnard, so doable, but quite a trek - 180 miles from San Diego (which is 2-hours from Ensenada), with a ton of traffic. Anybody have a suggestion in the San Diego or Orange County CA area?

Thanks - engine is out of boat and exhaust elbow off the engine, so timing is good.

Also, engine/boat are in Ensenada, south of San Diego. I see Tony's shop is in Oxnard, so doable, but quite a trek - 180 miles from San Diego (which is 2-hours from Ensenada), with a ton of traffic. Anybody have a suggestion in the San Diego or Orange County CA area?

Fedex is your friend.

I made my own by wrapping with stainless mesh then standard exhaust tape and coated it with waterglass (sodium oxide and silica). Many commercial boats do it around here.

Back
Top Bottom