Sound Box on NL gen-set?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ski,

Well for 34$ how can I go wrong?

But I went to the Donaldson site and my eyes glazed over.

Ill wait on this for a while.

Go to a tractor shop and they probably have used filter/silencers for low coin. Your marine gennie needs no where near the filtration capacity needed for something like a tractor. You really just want the silencing.

Beats the heck out of a soundbox.

Last edited:
Go to a tractor shop and they probably have used filter/silencers for low coin. Your marine gennie needs no where near the filtration capacity needed for something like a tractor. You really just want the silencing.

Beats the heck out of a soundbox.

Dont tell them, it's for a boat unless you want to pay 3 times as much. :D

So the NL sound box is Nola according to DieselParts Direct, confirming an earlier post. GSi will fabricate a soft cover with a frame, vent and fan for About $1,500.

I can’t access the boat right now so I’m in the process of following Ski’s advice and installing a silencer, well at least assembling the parts.

12 KW NL in sound box. Works great and well worth the money. Had 8KW Westerbeke before no sound box. HUGE difference! Incidentally NL are great gensets.

Keith
Did your Onan base have drain holes so a raw water or coolant leak would show up quickly? Our Westerbeke has drains and cannot "flood" the area inside the enclosure as fortunately evidenced by a failed raw water pump some years ago.

Tom:
That was exactly the problem. It retained salt water from a failure, that salt water ended up in the generator, seizing it.
The existence of drain holes would have saved it from total loss, and likely wouldn't have inhibited leak detection, or as you suggest, collection from the drain holes would have allowed early detection of any leak.

I removed the factory sound enclosure from our NL generator for maintenance and never put it back on. The rubber mounts and base are still in place as Porgy described. I think the mounting system is a major factor in keeping things relatively quite without the balance of the enclosure. I wish I had measured the db level before I removed the enclosure. I noticed a little increase in the noise level but nothing drastic. If we wish to decrease the noise level in the future I will add to the engine room sound deadening. A covered generator is out of site and therefore out of mind when it comes to maintenance. I like to be able to easily give it a visual looking for little things before they become major issues.

Totally agree with the visuals. I have permanently removed the service side panel, and do not notice any difference in the noise levels directly above it in the wheel house. Don't tell my wife.....

I'll add to the other posts AGAINST a sound shield, for the same reasons: out of sight, out of mind (too easy to miss minor leaks, etc., before they become major), and too hard to do routine maintenance, such as swapping the raw water impeller.

I've had two generator repair guys onboard (two different boats) who have said the same thing: get that cover off of that thing! So I did.

I've had two generator repair guys onboard (two different boats) who have said the same thing: get that cover off of that thing! So I did.

I doubt anyone would question that without an enclosure maintenance and the ability to note problems is better. Note the source of you comments above: "generator repair guys."

Boat are full of compromises. If you want a very quiet generator, any enclosure is quieter than no enclosure, you can't bend the laws of physics. Secondary isolation and a high performance exhaust system will be quieter than without. A naturally aspirated engine with an enhanced intake air filter will be quieter than one with the factory filter.

A well insulated engine room or lazarette (depending on where your generator is) will be quieter than one poorly insulated. The decks above the generator can also be treated with acoustic carpet underlayment if carpeted or mass loaded vinyl or a damping material of a hard floor.

Decide what's more important to you and choose accordingly.

:socool:

My nickname for sound shields is "generator coffin". I am always surprised when I look inside one and do not find a mess...

Sound shield on my NL 9kW works great. As far as hiding maintenance issues, just open side cover and inspect as usual before and after operation. Just like other hidden areas like shaft seals and other important areas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom