Side-Power Thruster Controller Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squidward

Veteran Member
My boat came with a set of Side-Power thrusters, as well as two dual-joystick controllers. Model SM8940G. The one on the flying bridge recently starting acting up on me, and now it's basically useless. Sometimes if you turn it on, nothing happens. Other times it does turn on, but the power light slowly dims to nothing within 20 seconds.

The controller at the lower helm works perfectly, as do the thrusters themselves.

The malfunctioning controller is protected by a Sunbrella enclosure, as well as a Sunbrella cover that I put over the flying bridge helm when it's not in use. Before I start taking this apart and testing with my multimeter, has anyone run into this before? Thanks.

No, I have not seen that issue, but maybe some moisture got into it. Is there any place to get some WD40 or similar into the controls? It may clean up the contacts. Otherwise probably be a new joystick. Also reseat the plug that connects the joystick to the control cable.

I probably have a similar setup with the sidepower thrusters on my EB47. My suggestion is first check the wiring to make sure nothing has come loose. In the process of that checking it may be useful to remove/reconnect the terminals and relays to make sure there's no corrosion causing intermittent problems.

The slowly losing the power light makes me think the controller itself might be failing. The dual On-On buttons you press to activate it are domed membrane buttons, like the kind found in many other remotes. The domes don't typically fail, but the conductive material under them that makes the contact may wear/short out over time. I've never seen one of these disassembled so I have no idea how to clean it, or fresh the contact material under the domes.

Had one fail on me earlier this year but they are readily available.

You could try moving the FB unit to the PH and see if the problem follows. That might help identify any wiring issue. The units are sealed I believe so not much to troubleshoot or repair.

Sidepower tech support was readily available and a great help during my issue.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom