Old 06-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #1
PNM

City: HARWOOD
Perkins T6-3544 Transmission Oil Question

I have two of the subject engines and associated transmissions.

I found the starboard transmission oil level to be at the bottom of the dip stick. The oil was clear and about the color and consistency of new motor oil.

I found the port transmission oil level to be at the full marker on the dip stick, but the oil was a light tan creamy color. The oil felt a little thicker than the oil in the starboard engine but had a very rich oily feel.

I would appreciate any wisdom about my findings.

Thanks for your help.
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:02 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Likely water in the transmission oil. A failed cooler is the normal suspect. Do not run the boat until problem solved. Many consider the transmission cooler a throw away item before they start leaking. Change the oil nd filter asap, remove the cooler and hook the hoses together and run the engine at the dock in forward and reverse. Repeat oil and filter change and run briefly again in gear.

Hopefully no strange sounds are heard. Replace both coolers and use the “good” one as a spare. Sample oil from both sides once you’ve flushed water out. Good luck.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:21 AM   #3
Guru

City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
What sunshades said, just noting that you may not have q meaningful transmission oil filter. Many are just a screen.

MrCool.us has those coolers.Russ and Brandon there have sold me all of mine for 2 boats.
gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:35 AM   #4
PNM

Will my engine oil coolers go next?

The engine has a triple heat exchanger. The transmission oil cooler section in the middle had already been replaced by a 2"x12" copper cooler. It was installed before the sea water pump. This is what is leaking sea water into the transmission oil on the port engine.

The engine oil cooler is at the start of the triple cooler, connected to a hose from the sea water pump. The turbocharger after cooler is at the end of the triple cooler, before the sea water goes to the manicooler.

What is your experience with the engine oil cooler and the after cooler failing? And, are there preventive measures I can take to extend there lives? What about the manicooler?

I can buy a dual cooler to replace my copper transmission oil cooler. It would cool both the transmission and engine oil.

The triple cooler replacement costs $4300. The dual cooler costs $517. The copper transmission cooler costs $147.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:46 PM   #5
PNM

Transmission Oil Coolers

Lenco also has the coolers.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2021, 11:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
It is really hard to say without seeing them, and maybe in them, at least for me. Condition is everything.

The best thing to do is to periodically (every few years) take them off, clean them as needed, inspect them, and maybe have a shop pressure test them. For the big coolers, that is rarely done, at least by most, but more commonly and frequently done for the smaller ones. And, in between, keep an eye on things and maintain as needed.

But, this is one of those things where personal philosophy and type of use matters a lot. The balance between PM, boating, and the rest of life tends to be a very individualized one.
gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #7
PNM

I pumped out the transmission and filled it with about 1.5 quarts of ATF.

About 1 cup of ATF dripped out of the transmission from an area below the rear transmission seal. I used a fiber optic camera in an attempt to verify where the drip was coming from but could only isolate to a low point under the rear of the transmission, below the seal. I will check the shifter's rubber seal in hopes that it is the problem.

I purchased a new Lenco transmission oil cooler and will complete the installation this AM. Bye the way, Jesse was great. I ordered the wrong unit and Jesse sent me the correct one without waiting for the return of the erroneous cooler.

Once I have installed a new low oil pressure switch, I will run the engine and operate the transmission in forward and reverse. I will place a oil absorption pad below the transmission to catch any ATF. Then I will know more. If the leak continues, I will likely need to replace the transmission's rear seal.

It is a BW and I hope I can change the seal while in the water.

I also intend to pressure test the old oil cooler. I am not 100% convinced it is the reason for the water in the transmission. I have pressure washed the engine and could have forced water under the cap into the transmission by accident.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Flush out the contamination thoroughly!