Old 09-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #21

City: Kasilof Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Sorry Boomerang, but you don't get it...

Wrap the exhaust with one of these blankets and your engine will be EASIER to work on, assuming one day you will have to shut off the engine and immediately dive on top of the engine, this will be cooler for you and a bit padded as well.

Also, my Cummins is keel cooled and the exhaust manifold is cooled with coolant. not raw water. If you had to buy a full-price manicooler, because you may want to leap on it some day, why not dump the salt water and cool it with coolant? At least it will last longer as long as you change your coolant as per the manual.
Would you mind explaining your exhaust system a little more? Looks to be wet exhaust so where are you getting the cooling water from? Do you have a separate pump that supplies cooling water? Just trying to learn a little more. All I have ever had is dry exhaust systems.
Thanks, David

DNT99611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
That was not my exhaust but a photo of a Yanmar installation; mine is a Cummins and completely dry stacked. Never want a salt water cooled boat again.

I was just trying to show a little interest and suggest a solution to the Perkins crowd but I am obviously a slow learner.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #23

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: Tern II
Vessel Model: PT 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by scope1969 View Post
I just bought a 1980 Californian 34 LRC with twin Perkins ST.63544M engines. I had them serviced and my local diesel mechanic recommends that I replace the heat exchanger/manifolds soon to ensure reliability. In the meantime, I'm just doing light duty cruising @1000rpm. I can't seem to locate these parts other than to have Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama (see above thread) fabricate custom ones. They seem awesome from the drawings, etc but I don't have the $20,000 to spend (they want $15K for the first one and $5K for the second). Any other ideas out there or does anyone else need the same manicoolers? Perhaps we could get a group of us together and order in volume to bring the cost down.
We spoke to MESA also; we would be willing to be part of a group to have the first Manicooler fabricated. Is any one else willing to commit?
nelson367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
The terms multi-cooler and mani-cooler as sometimes get used interchangeably. You need to be exactly sure what you've got. The multi-cooler is also used on non-turbo engines. Those engines have a "turbo adapter" in place of the turbo.

From the Perkins manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Multicooler.PNG  
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #25

Perkins

Thanks for the heads up. Our is the Turbo version, so its the Multi Cooler
Old 04-04-2021, 09:56 PM   #26

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Knot Salted
Vessel Model: 1981 Californian 34 LRC
PERKINS 6.354M mainfold/heatexchanger

Two in KS.

Knock Wood, but all is well with Twin turbo Manicoolers since 1981-82.
Knot Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:22 AM   #27
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
The terms multi-cooler and mani-cooler as sometimes get used interchangeably.
Yes, I always wondered why both terms were tossed around, and which one I actually had. (Turns out it's the multi-cooler.)

Thanks for the education!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #28

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Knot Salted
Vessel Model: 1981 Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Yes, I always wondered why both terms were tossed around, and which one I actually had. (Turns out it's the multi-cooler.)

Thanks for the education!
Me too.

Thanks!
Knot Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scope1969 View Post
I just bought a 1980 Californian 34 LRC with twin Perkins ST.63544M engines. I had them serviced and my local diesel mechanic recommends that I replace the heat exchanger/manifolds soon to ensure reliability. In the meantime, I'm just doing light duty cruising @1000rpm. I can't seem to locate these parts other than to have Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama (see above thread) fabricate custom ones. They seem awesome from the drawings, etc but I don't have the $20,000 to spend (they want $15K for the first one and $5K for the second). Any other ideas out there or does anyone else need the same manicoolers? Perhaps we could get a group of us together and order in volume to bring the cost down.
I am considering pulling the trigger on the Multi cooler for the ST.63544 M with MESA; would you consider going in on the first one as a group