Old 06-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #21

City: Jupiter
Vessel Name: Neverland
Vessel Model: 1973 34' Marine Trader / Classic double cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Something put together wrong. Drive plate backwards??
What do you mean drive plate? I know only the terms from the manual. My transmission doesn't have a "direct drive plate", instead I have a "reduction adapter plate" off the back of the transmission. That side of things is all good I believe.

1CaptainBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #22
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I meant torsional damper attached to the flywheel. aka drive plate.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
May be time to check the oil pressure with an independent mehanical guage.
Book should show where to test o install where the electric sender is mounted.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:08 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CaptainBill View Post
**update**
Replaced damper plate, took apart transmission, replaced seals, gaskets, and clutches (old clutches didn't look bad - straight and minimal wear). put everything back together, mounted it up and tested it. Absolutely no drive/response in forward. If I push the throttle a bit in forward still no response but I get a loud "whine". As soon as I put the lever in reverse I get the same loud "whine" right off the bat and no shaft response. This is driving me crazy. Oil level is good, brake band looked ok, throttle linkage is all working correctly. Any ideas??
Do you have the oil filler plug fully screwed in..? It is actually quite a long bolt looking thing, not like a filler plug at all, but if not fully screwed in, the gearbox does not build pressure - at least in reverse. I have the Paragon box, and found that out the hard way with a mouth-stopping moment or two. It is tempting to not screw it fully in while adjusting tranny fluid levels, but it must be. Just wondering...as you seem to have done everything right otherwise.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #25

City: Pensacola
Vessel Model: 46' Roamer Chris Craft AL '69
Did you mount the front plate of the transmission in the right orientation? That plate has to be mounted to match engine rotation. You could rotate them 180 for a counter rotating motor. You may be running the internal hydraulic pump backwards
neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #26

And the P series needs 75 psi for clutch lock. What does your pressure gauge read?
Old 06-05-2017, 02:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I meant torsional damper attached to the flywheel. aka drive plate.
ah, yes def put that on correct.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunesjester View Post
Did you mount the front plate of the transmission in the right orientation? That plate has to be mounted to match engine rotation. You could rotate them 180 for a counter rotating motor. You may be running the internal hydraulic pump backwards
This is what I kept second guessing myself on and finally I ripped it apart again to check. It was was correct so that wasn't it. Good to know about the 75psi pressure but I don't have a pressure gauge hooked to it. Where do you T in on this trans?
Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #29

**Problem Solved**

I finally gave up and committed to buying a rebuilt trans. When I was taking it to the shop to make sure it matched up I felt the back coupling on the reduction housing spin and noticed that the gear did not spin. So it turned out that the splines on the shaft and/or inside the coupling have stripped enough so the coupling spins free with enough pressure. I didn't notice this at first because there was still a bit of friction on it for it to not spin completely free.

Well, now I have two rebuilt trans but one with a stripped coupling and reduction gear shaft. If anyone has those parts please pm me. Or, if you'd like to buy that trans with those parts broken please pm me.

Mike at thermal transmissions in Stuart was awesome. I highly recommend him if you need a marine transmission rebuilt.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nostra Casa
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler 44
Quote:
**Problem Solved**

I finally gave up and committed to buying a rebuilt trans. When I was taking it to the shop to make sure it matched up I felt the back coupling on the reduction housing spin and noticed that the gear did not spin. So it turned out that the splines on the shaft and/or inside the coupling have stripped enough so the coupling spins free with enough pressure. I didn't notice this at first because there was still a bit of friction on it for it to not spin completely free.

Well, now I have two rebuilt trans but one with a stripped coupling and reduction gear shaft. If anyone has those parts please pm me. Or, if you'd like to buy that trans with those parts broken please pm me.

Mike at thermal transmissions in Stuart was awesome. I highly recommend him if you need a marine transmission rebuilt.

Great news on getting it solved. Sorry for the bad news on the failure. I hope you and Sierra have a hassle free cruise the rest of the way north.
kwestby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:22 AM   #31

Quote:
This is what I kept second guessing myself on and finally I ripped it apart again to check. It was was correct so that wasn't it. Good to know about the 75psi pressure but I don't have a pressure gauge hooked to it. Where do you T in on this trans?

I put a tee on the hydraulic supply line running to the oil cooler for the pressure gauge. For a fresh transmission, you should have around 150 psi with 75 psi as the minimum required for clutch lock.

Tags
p33l, paragon