Lewmar thruster remote user reviews?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stout

Vessel Name
Stout
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
We have Lewmar thrusters on our 2008 boat and I am interested in installing their 5-button remote system. I have not found any reviews on the web so I thought I would ask if anyone here has used the Lewmar remote to control their thrusters. Specifically want to know if they work okay if you step onto the dock and the approximate distance you have operated them at.

Kevin, I can't speak to the Lewmar remote but I use my Vetus remote a LOT. Whenever I'm backing into the slip I have it on its lanyard around my neck and the remote is in my right hand. I operate the shifters with my left hand and the remote with my right.

Coming into a dock to side tie or into the locks, it's always in hand and I use it to change my angle-of-approach to the dock.

Having a hand held remote allows you to keep your eyes on where you're going and not having to reach down to the helm dash to find and use the main control.

Can’t say about Lewmar but my Sidepower remote will operate the thruster from off the boat and down the dock about 100’ give or take.

Mike/Dave, glad to hear yours work well and I think it will be a good addition to our boat. Just want to make sure they work well and have the range so I can step off the boat if single handling without losing the connection.

I can’t imagine that they would design it with such a short range that you couldn’t get off the boat abd use it nearby. That would be a huge design error.

Thanks Dave, I agree it would be a flaw but the only feedback I had was from owners that had Sidepower remotes and Mikes Vetus. I have not talked to anyone locally that even has Lewmar thrusters. The Lewmar install manual lists an optional remote antenna for the controller and that is why I was wondering about the operational distance between the controller and remote.

If there is an optional antenna, I would go for it. Extra range is a good thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom