John Deere 6404D 135HP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac G

Looking for the average hourly fuel consumption of a John Deere 6404D 135HP diesel - assume cruising speed under normal conditions.

Approximately how many gallons per hour does that engine burn?

Thank you

What boat is it installed in and what's your typical cruising speed? Without knowing those, it's hard to know how much power it'll actually take to maintain speed. I'd expect the thing to burn somewhere around 7.5 gal/hr at max RPM and full power. It'll burn less when cruising, but without knowing more it's impossible to say how much less.

6404D brochure

The attached is from GB. Sorry the units are pounds of fuel.

Attachments

• 6404Dfuel.PDF
    331.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 6404DSpec.PDF
    792.9 KB · Views: 37
No worries

Don't forget to multiply 0.4 by the HP. It's hard to measure the consumption by inches of fuel consumed in my tanks, but I think I get 7-8 HP/hr for both engine combined which is a little better than the chart. I run 1400-1650 RPM most days with 2:1 reduction.

One gallon will provide 20hp for an hour. So at 130hp you will burn 6.5 gallons. A normal boat at normal cruise could mean anything from 40hp to 100 hp which would mean anything from 2 gallons an hour to 5 gallons an hour. Of course I have just generalized all boats which means there are numerous exceptions to what I just stated. More info on the JD application would net a more accurate response.

One gallon will provide 20hp for an hour. So at 130hp you will burn 6.5 gallons. A normal boat at normal cruise could mean anything from 40hp to 100 hp which would mean anything from 2 gallons an hour to 5 gallons an hour. Of course I have just generalized all boats which means there are numerous exceptions to what I just stated. More info on the JD application would net a more accurate response.

I wouldn't count on 20 hp-hr per gallon from an old, naturally aspirated diesel. 18 is probably a safer bet calculation-wise.

I’ve always read what has been stated above, however my Yanmar turbo running at close to 2250 rpm’s 4jh2-the says I’m using about 42 hp. And I know I’m diffidently burning less than 1 gallon an hour. Maybe close to 3/4 gallons an hour? So these fuel burn formulas have always have made me puzzled. Why he big difference. Am I reading, understanding something wrong?

I’ve always read what has been stated above, however my Yanmar turbo running at close to 2250 rpm’s 4jh2-the says I’m using about 42 hp. And I know I’m diffidently burning less than 1 gallon an hour. Maybe close to 3/4 gallons an hour? So these fuel burn formulas have always have made me puzzled. Why he big difference. Am I reading, understanding something wrong?

Your engine fully loaded at 2250 RPMs makes 42hp. However, your boat is propped to reach full loading at max RPMs. Prop loading is an exponential curve. This means you probably are only making 20 hp at 2250.

I burn 2.5 GPH on a single 36GB at 1700 rpm 7.5-8.0kts.
A local guy with the same boat with twins burns about the same, touch faster.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom