Old 04-24-2020, 06:14 AM   #41
FF
Guru

Folks refer to Load Shedding like it is a big deal. It is quite simple to automate..

A single wire is run from the more important load to a relay on the secondary load.

The relay is" NC "(normally closed) and will open when the controlling item is powered.

The range could be the control for say the HW heater.

Air cond 1 the control for air cond 2.

4KW is plenty for a 30ish ft boat.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #42
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
The 5.5 Kw generator is perfect in the winter running electric heaters and hot water tank.

In the summer at anchor, the 120 VAC holding plate freezer compressor and the battery charger are the only loads after the 15 amp hot water tank reaches temp. The compressor uses about 5 amps and charger consumption declines as the battery gets charged but starts at around 20 amps when the batteries are down 50%.

So in order to keep the generator loaded after the water heater turns off, I have to run an electric heate outside the boat. When I had the 4.5 Kw generator, did not need to run a heater but sometimes had to manage loads.

Reason to correctly size the generator.
Syjos,
I thought I might be the only one running an electric heater out on deck in the summer (to help load up the generator)
My boat came with a 9KW generator that is way too big for our needs. The boat was originally going to have AC installed (so I am told), but does not have AC. So, I try to load it up to at about 40 to 45 amps, with the odd time having 2 heaters on deck. I do get some strange looks and/or comments from passing kayakers

Old 04-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #43
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
I've been known to have an A/C unit running with windows open to keep more load on the generator when I have it running only for something fairly small, like warming the hot water tank.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #44
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Syjos,
I thought I might be the only one running an electric heater out on deck in the summer (to help load up the generator)
My boat came with a 9KW generator that is way too big for our needs. The boat was originally going to have AC installed (so I am told), but does not have AC. So, I try to load it up to at about 40 to 45 amps, with the odd time having 2 heaters on deck. I do get some strange looks and/or comments from passing kayakers
I put the heaters right outside the PH doors and they are hidden by the portuguese bridge.

9Kw is a lot of power without AC
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #45
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I've been known to have an A/C unit running with windows open to keep more load on the generator when I have it running only for something fairly small, like warming the hot water tank.
You guys need to come on down to the South - no need to open windows in our heat and humidity . We run our two 16k a/c units full blast when at anchor. Our 9k Kohler is fairly new, and I'm not too worried about under-loading.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:58 AM   #46
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Our boat, purchased six years ago, came, apparently an original installation, with two generators, a 12kw Perkins powered Kohler and a 7.7kw Westerbeke. We use the Westerbeke more than the Kohler as it is much quieter. I considered having one of them removed to gain some engine room space but was talked out of that idea by the good folks on this forum. If one of them craps out, I will remove it then and not replace it. The Perkins-Kohler, however, is indeed a monster. Doesn't help much to address the original question but I will say that I would go with a larger unit if I had the space. Sure, with diligent load management one can get along but if one is already going to pay for the installation the incremmental cost of stepping up to the next larger size is not thaat much. No regrets later.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:18 AM   #47

City: Guernsey, Channel islands
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Play d'eau has two Onans. 13.5 & 7.5. The larger is far quieter. Hence, we tend to use this far more when at anchor, regardless of load. Both at 14 years old and both are in tip top condition.