Exhaust riser Perkins t6.354

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vahevala

Vessel Name
Vahevala
Vessel Make
52’ Kristen Custom Flybridge Trawler
So I removed my exhaust hose from the riser for a visual inspection and as expected found some carbon build-up in the riser. Approximately a 1/8" layer that easily flaked off as I cleaned what I could reach. First time I've done this after 4 years and over 800 hours of running time.
My first question is this a normal amount of build-up over this much time? Should I be checking this on a more frequent schedule as routine maintenance and lastly, what is best way to clean this out or better yet, is there a way to prevent/minimize this in the first place?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

So I removed my exhaust hose from the riser for a visual inspection and as expected found some carbon build-up in the riser. Approximately a 1/8" layer that easily flaked off as I cleaned what I could reach. First time I've done this after 4 years and over 800 hours of running time.
My first question is this a normal amount of build-up over this much time? Should I be checking this on a more frequent schedule as routine maintenance and lastly, what is best way to clean this out or better yet, is there a way to prevent/minimize this in the first place?

That's pretty typical.

Just make sure the water cooling injector ring, inside of the riser, stays open. Every couple of years I drop the rubber hose off the riser and run a straightened out wire coat hanger around the inside of injector ring to knock off any build up and ensure it's open. Doesn't hurt to remove the cooling water elbow on the riser and check there for obstructions too. Over time the corrosion builds up.

Thanks Edelweiss... good to know!

Back
Top Bottom