Old 06-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Hiatus
Vessel Model: Cooper Prowler
Engine in, still doesn't run yet.

Well, we got one engine rebuilt and ready to start. Only problem, can't get it to start. Got spark, Rebuilt carbs, and got a new Edelbrock. Going to try that next.
CooperBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperBrewer View Post
Well, we got one engine rebuilt and ready to start. Only problem, can't get it to start. Got spark, Rebuilt carbs, and got a new Edelbrock. Going to try that next.
Have you double-checked your firing order? I rebuilt a 440 Chrysler in a boat I had many years ago. While it started & ran, it didn't run well. After rebuilding the carburetor and then replacing the camshaft, I found I had crossed 2 of the plug wires. I was so happy that it was finally running like it was supposed to run that I wasn't the least bit upset about the labor & money I wasted due to my carelessness!
Old 06-18-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
Guru

City: West Coast
Firing order will get you. One time my cams were out of phase by 360 degrees. Took me quite a few beers to figure that one out.

Is it firing at all, like trying to start? Mine wasn't and that was a major clue. Also, use starting fluid to get it going -- that way you can ignore carbuerator type issues all together.

And here is a tidbit, even though you have a gas engine -- with diesel, don't use starting fluid, but use WD40 as if it were starting fluid.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:38 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Is it a counter rotating engine? Completely different firing order if it is. Or did you put the distributor in 180 out. Happens to the best of us.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Yep, double check that distributor is not installed 180deg out. With rotor tip aiming at #1 and timing mark at zero, #1 could be at TDC firing or TDC valve overlap. If at valve overlap, it will not start.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
I had an old Ford Mustang that I put the distributor in one tooth off. It had good spark but didn't run either.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:39 AM   #7
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
If you have older gassers they may be counter rotating. Be sure you have installed the correct starter on the correct engine.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
When you go to do distributor timing, be aware that not all counter rotation setups are the same. Depending on the engines and who marinized them, some spin the cam and crank backwards (meaning a different distributor for reverse rotation). Others, like my Mercruiser 454s spin the crank backwards on one engine, but use a gear drive for the cam, so the cam and distributor still spin the standard direction (just with a differently ground cam).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Yep, double check that distributor is not installed 180deg out. With rotor tip aiming at #1 and timing mark at zero, #1 could be at TDC firing or TDC valve overlap. If at valve overlap, it will not start.

I made sure that the #1 cylinder was on the compression stroke with a compression gauge. When I first got it together, it was 180 out, but now I'm 99.95% sure it is correct. I am going to check the firing order and trace out all the plug wires, when I'm back onboard
Old 06-19-2021, 09:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
When you go to do distributor timing, be aware that not all counter rotation setups are the same. Depending on the engines and who marinized them, some spin the cam and crank backwards (meaning a different distributor for reverse rotation). Others, like my Mercruiser 454s spin the crank backwards on one engine, but use a gear drive for the cam, so the cam and distributor still spin the standard direction (just with a differently ground cam).

I believe both my engines to be the same. The counter-rotation is done in the transmission. Both have timing chains... and when viewed from the flywheel, they spin clockwise.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
If you have older gassers they may be counter rotating. Be sure you have installed the correct starter on the correct engine.

pete

I believe that both my engines are the same. They both have timing chains, and when viewed from the flywheel they spin clockwise.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #12
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
I believe both my engines to be the same. The counter-rotation is done in the transmission. Both have timing chains... and when viewed from the flywheel, they spin clockwise.

Perfect, that makes things easy.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:19 PM   #13
Technical Guru

A std rotation engine rotates CCW when viewed from FW end, looking fwd. Not CW.

Are the FW's on the front of the engines (very old skool) or on the back (typical modern).
Old 06-19-2021, 09:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
A std rotation engine rotates CCW when viewed from FW end, looking fwd. Not CW.

Are the FW's on the front of the engines (very old skool) or on the back (typical modern).

The engines are 1980's models. Both flywheels are in the rear. The starter is on the right hand side (when viewed from the rear) on both engines... and turns the flywheel clockwise. I thought that the reverse rotation engines have timing gears, instead of a chain.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:48 PM   #15
Technical Guru

If you have std rotation engines with the FW on the back, and you are looking at the back looking fwd, the FW's should be rotating CCW.

Got the wrong starters??
Old 06-19-2021, 10:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you have std rotation engines with the FW on the back, and you are looking at the back looking fwd, the FW's should be rotating CCW.

Got the wrong starters??

I will check again when I get back onboard. I think the starters that would spin the flywheel the opposite, would not engage the flywheel and would be mounted on the other side of the engine, but I will look into it more... thank you.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:20 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We bought a boat with a newly rebuilt engine. It would start but had no power. Found that the rebuilder had put an automotive cam in instead of a marine cam. The firing order was all messed up. But it would at least start and run up in neutral.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
I will check again when I get back onboard. I think the starters that would spin the flywheel the opposite, would not engage the flywheel and would be mounted on the other side of the engine, but I will look into it more... thank you.

You're right (I think) my starter is spinning the flywheel in the wrong direction for this engine. Putting the correct starter on...today. Did I cause any damage to my engine by trying to start it in reverse?

Thank you, it got me looking. It does appear my starter was wrong.

I'm going to check firing order again and try to start it the "right" way, which is CCW at the flywheel.

I'll let you know. Thank you
Old 06-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

UPDATE: Our port side engine is RUNNING!

YaY!

Thank you, everyone for your help!
Old 06-21-2021, 08:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
You're right (I think) my starter is spinning the flywheel in the wrong direction for this engine. Putting the correct starter on...today. Did I cause any damage to my engine by trying to start it in reverse?

Thank you, it got me looking. It does appear my starter was wrong.

I'm going to check firing order again and try to start it the "right" way, which is CCW at the flywheel.

I'll let you know. Thank you

Thank you!
The reverse rotation starter was our main issue. Once I got the correct starter in and fixed 2 plug wires I had reversed, she fired right up!