Engine Room Lights turn night into day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just spent several hours removing the fluros I had fitted when we first got her and replacing with these 4 for $40 LED batten lights

The difference is incredible
Instant clean white light vs flickering rarely functioning glo-worm

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-90CM...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Nice find! I like the compact shape of these much more than the fluoro-tube-look-alike LEDs I used. More compact and many more lumens than the ones I put in (mine are 12-volt). And you’re right . . . having a bright, flicker-free ER takes some getting used to.

I recently installed some high bay LEDs in my son’s art studio and was startled by the brightness. When I put my hand in front I could almost see through it.

Attachments

• CA3B855C-FD0B-4A34-A879-0E3DB7D5CAF9.jpg
    CA3B855C-FD0B-4A34-A879-0E3DB7D5CAF9.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 137
Good engine room lights make a world of difference. My engine room is a bit hard to light well as it's not super tall (engines are only about 8 inches from the top). But with bright LED bulbs in the original incandescent fixtures and some bright LED lights outboard of the engines, it's pretty good and I rarely need any kind of supplemental light.

I seriously envy the "workshop with engines in it" on that Defever though... Not much extra space in my engine room, pretty much any empty space is a path for crawling. Even an extra 6 inches of height would be nice in my setup...

Angus, love that big engine room. Could only imagine what it joy it would be if it came in a single.

Thank you both. Once I got the house banks consolidated from outboard of the engines to the aft quarter, both sides of the engines became much more accessible.

Simi, can you post pix of your new lights in use?

Thank you both. Once I got the house banks consolidated from outboard of the engines to the aft quarter, both sides of the engines became much more accessible.

Simi, can you post pix of your new lights in use?

I was just thinking that in the picture. If those boxes outboard of the engines weren't there, I can't say a single would really be any better. There would just go from being plenty of space to work to more than you could use.

I was just thinking that in the picture. If those boxes outboard of the engines weren't there, I can't say a single would really be any better. There would just go from being plenty of space to work to more than you could use.

Yeah, a racquetball court comes to mind, but my knees probably couldn’t’ take take it. :D

The difference is incredible
Instant clean white light vs flickering rarely functioning glo-worm
I know exactly what you mean. Before I sold my 42 OA Sedan I had all the lights in the ER replaced. 12v & 120v. The difference is dramatic! :dance:

Attachments

• ER lights.jpg
    ER lights.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 59
Codger, that's an amazing engine room you have there in that Duffy. Can you hit 100 mph?

Attachments

• ER lights.jpg
    ER lights.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 397
    100.8 KB · Views: 398
We have the stick-on strip LEDs - makes a HUGE difference.

Attachments

• EngineRoom.jpg
    EngineRoom.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 65
We replaced the annoying fluorescents and installed a couple of Doctor LED engine room lights. I'll admit that I haven't had to use the night/red settings underway yet, but good to know it's there if I need it.

https://youtu.be/EgcH1IRL3xM

Yep, we need to replace the fluorescent lights in our new to us boat. Just need to measure and find a source. And get our butts out of Kentucky, and up to Washington State where the boat is, that is!:dance:
It's on the list . . . God how I hate the LIST sometimes!:D

Attachments

• BEEBE 50_00322.jpg
    BEEBE 50_00322.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 56
  • ER, Engine.jpg
    ER, Engine.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 41
Now I have decent light I can get in there and clean up those engine mounts and think about slapping some paint on the 855 - going from original fawn to white with pretty blue silicone hose.
Same for the genset
Slap a fresh coat on the fuel tank while there.

Attachments

• Annotation 2021-02-16 061408.jpg
    Annotation 2021-02-16 061408.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Annotation 2021-02-16 061448.jpg
    Annotation 2021-02-16 061448.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Simi, that's an AWESOME engine room! LOTS of room to move around the engine etc. I love it!:thumb:

Simi, that's an AWESOME engine room! LOTS of room to move around the engine etc. I love it!:thumb:

Thanks, was one of the main selling points for me

Boats that didn't have full walk around ER with space to pull up a milk crate to work on it were rejected without even a visit.

Figured if it was to tight I wouldn't be inclined to want to spend time in there.
Now......if only it was air conditioned in there as well ;)

Add: mind you, looking up at yours it looks roomy enough as well
And a bit cleaner.

Last edited:
Thanks, was one of the main selling points for me

Boats that didn't have full walk around ER with space to pull up a milk crate to work on it were rejected without even a visit.

Figured if it was to tight I wouldn't be inclined to want to spend time in there.
Now......if only it was air conditioned in there as well ;)

Add: mind you, looking up at yours it looks roomy enough as well
And a bit cleaner.

We're not at the boat, newly purchased, and it will be a few months before we move up there, BUT lots of plans for the ER. Remove unused legacy equipment: 40 year old water maker, unused fridge compressor, a few other things. Probably going to replace the AGM house battery bank with LiFePO, will replace the Magnum Xantrex 12v battery charger with a Victron Multiplus inverter/charger, relabel a few thing so they make more sense to me, sort through spares, and spares, and MORE spares, replace a few water lines, some clamps, two locations where wire nuts were used:nonono:, insulate diesel heat exhaust pipe, plumb deck pump for fresh or raw water instead of just raw. Lots of plans, but will have to GET there before I can actually start DOING!:facepalm:
Oh, and the title of the thread! We're going to replace the current fluorescent lights with LED's.

Keep an eye on Costco for a sale on the Lithium batteries. They have sales on pretty often and the prices are great. I got 2 for $1400 with a lifetime warranty.

Check out this kid. He is a wiz at batteries. He opens them up and reviews the guts. A lot of LifePo including Lion and Battle Born.

https://youtube.com/c/WillProwse

Not so much... He rated the Lion Energy batteries lower because the case “sounded” cheaper when he tapped on it. Also didn’t like the terminals but that is a great feature. I removed the screw in terminals and mounted the bus bars directly to the batteries, big advantage. The review I watched he didn’t open them up at all. Maybe other videos he does but not the one I watched.

Keep an eye on Costco for a sale on the Lithium batteries. They have sales on pretty often and the prices are great. I got 2 for $1400 with a lifetime warranty.

I just looked at their website, and I can't even FIND any Lithium batteries, aside from the button type, that is . . . . . what ah batteries did you buy? Brand, etc?

I got the Lion Energy ones 2 for $1400. They have been on sale two times since I bought mine in October. You had to login as a member to see them.

:thumb:Yep, logged on with user name and password, put in Lithium batteries, tried Lion Energy, tried LiFePO batteries, just battery by itself, 3 pages of battery related items, no lithium except small button batteries. They may be seasonal . . . . Thanks for trying though!

One of the best things I did on this boat was to replace engine room lights with LED fixtures and bulbs. Wife actually looks forward to working there now! She started out hating the ER and didn't know the difference between box end/open end wrench - now it's her space and "Hey, pass me a 3/8 ratchet, the WD40 and a mallet!"

i use led truck loading lights

they are not expecive have a voltige rage from 12 till 48 volt are square light in metal casing very bright i had to reflect the light from the sealing of the engine room to not be blinded, its a big different good lightning

best regard,
Patrick
sorry no pictures

One of the best things I did on this boat was to replace engine room lights with LED fixtures and bulbs. Wife actually looks forward to working there now! She started out hating the ER and didn't know the difference between box end/open end wrench - now it's her space and "Hey, pass me a 3/8 ratchet, the WD40 and a mallet!"

Not so much... He rated the Lion Energy batteries lower because the case “sounded” cheaper when he tapped on it. Also didn’t like the terminals but that is a great feature. I removed the screw in terminals and mounted the bus bars directly to the batteries, big advantage. The review I watched he didn’t open them up at all. Maybe other videos he does but not the one I watched.

Try this guy:

Comes across as a bit of a mad scientist but I like that he hasn't drunk the Cool Aid and tests/questions everything, not just following current practice or others' ways. He's also one of the few to give warts and all reviews, his own mistakes and exact costs.

Sorry for the topic drift. ?

Regarding the LED lights, I like that they are small and can be easily set up to give a bright but diffused light with no sharp shadows. I'm as blind as a bat so when my retinas hurt that's nearly bright enough.

Has anyone used the 4WD style LED light bars or flood lights? I'm considering them outside in the cockpit

Has anyone used the 4WD style LED light bars or flood lights? I'm considering them outside in the cockpit

I have a small set on my mast spreaders as foredeck lights. They are my second set - different version.

Make sure you buy something with NO steel or paint of any kind, including screws and the mounting bracket. The first set lasted less than a year before they started leaving rust flakes all over the deck (lights still worked).

My new ones are all aluminum - well see how they work out.

Back
Top Bottom