Dry joint for exhaust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farandaway

Veteran Member
Has anyone ever switched over from the standard wet exhaust system to the dry joint arrangement? Just watched a video about it and thought it might be the way to go since the standard system seems to eventually build up with rust and cause the system to overheat.

Dry joint? Or what is often called a dry riser? Yes, should be used more often than it is.
THe dry riser is to get more height before the actual shower head fitting is installed so the shower head can be installed on the DOWN pointing part of the pipe. That way even when the shower head leaks, it will, the water will run away from the engine.
Too many exhaust systems will allow water from a leaking shower head to run towards the engine causing turbo damage AND maybe engine damage.

Look up TONY ATHENS site as he has written extensively about this and the info is free for the reading. His site is Seaboard Marine in Oxnard, Ca.
Website below.

www.sbmar.com

Most exhaust system components, at least from the exhaust manifold through the raw water injection elbow are made from cast stainless steel or at least cast iron. The former is quite corrosion resistant and even cast iron is good for at least ten years.

Not sure what your exhaust is made from. If it is fabricated from thin steel pipe, yes it won't last very long.

David

Greetings,
Mr. F. We have a dry riser (X2) on our vessel. As far as I know, the exhaust elbows are original (1979). I've never had to but I expect I could crank the engine forever without danger of water backing up into the valves. Nice system.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom