Old 04-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedt_2778 View Post
I am about to do this job on my Golden Star 38. I will need to shift/slide the starboard engine forward with crow bars as there is not enough room to move the shaft back 6" before hitting my packing gland. My main concern is a bottle jack on the bottom of the hull lifting/supporting the 6 cylinder Perkins I am worried I may but a hole in the bottom of my boat, still in the water - any thoughts?
I have Perkins HT6.354 in my lobster boat. I have done this several times but my keel will accommodate a 2x3 first to spread the load. I have also lifted my engine using cross beams, ½” threaded rod, & coupling nuts to raise it enough to remove the oil pan, check the bearings and replace the oil pumps.
I don’t think you actually need 6” to get the transmission out, more like 2 – 3” for a Velvet Drive

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We just did one of mine. Our engine and transmission were out so it was pretty easy. We could have gotten the damper out by sliding the transmission back about 3” but since we had the engine out we went ahead and slid the transmission back about a foot just to make it easy.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #23

City: Sausalito
Thanks for the great advise, the stbd engine sits down in between the lateral stringers hence needing to bottle jack from fibreglass hull. I could rig a beam across the flooring above the engine room giving both top and bottom support.
tedt_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #24

City: Sausalito
I guess I may be able to lift the back end enough so the gearbox clears the shaft and then pull back. Like the idea of threaded Bar to make a jack - Thanks
tedt_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #25
TF Site Team

Get some all thread the same size as the transmission mounting bolts. Cut it about 8” long. Remove a couple of bolts and thread in the all thread. That will allow the transmission to be slid back enough to get to the damper plate. And you won’t have to support the weight of the transmission. Depending on the weight of the transmission you might want 4 pieces of all thread.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:11 PM   #26
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
I put a sandbag down first, with a bit of plywood under the jack to spread the load evenly.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:23 AM   #27
TF Site Team

I had the engine and transmission out and on the deck in the salon. I had fabricated some LVLs into temporary stringers for it to sit on. I took a floor jack with plywood under the oil pan on the transmission and used it to roll the transmission back far enough to get the old plate out and the new one in. Simple and easy.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:56 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Get some all thread the same size as the transmission mounting bolts. Cut it about 8” long. Remove a couple of bolts and thread in the all thread. That will allow the transmission to be slid back enough to get to the damper plate. And you won’t have to support the weight of the transmission. Depending on the weight of the transmission you might want 4 pieces of all thread.
This is the way to go if at all possible.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #29

City: Summerdale
I removed my damper and it just fell apart. It was in pieces. I still cannot get the engine to turn. I'm suspecting their are pieces still left in flywheel. Is it hard to remove? I'm stuck in Orange beach and a possible tropical depression in enroute. Should I be able to turn engine? Is their a trick to getting it to turn. Flywheel seems like it has some serious torque. Please I need advice quick!!
THE FROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE FROG View Post
I removed my damper and it just fell apart. It was in pieces. I still cannot get the engine to turn. I'm suspecting their are pieces still left in flywheel. Is it hard to remove? I'm stuck in Orange beach and a possible tropical depression in enroute. Should I be able to turn engine? Is their a trick to getting it to turn. Flywheel seems like it has some serious torque. Please I need advice quick!!

Lay out the pieces you have and see what is missing, then you will know what you are looking for. I don't know what you are trying to turn the engine with, but to free up the jammed piece, you want to turn it backwards a little. Get a mechanics magnet and sweep around the bell housing also look with a mirror and flashlight. A mechanics "3 fingered grabber" is the tool of choice to pull out pieces that the magnet won't lift. You may, in the end, have to shore up the engine and pull the bell housing if the rear mounts are on it.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #31

City: Summerdale
Thanks man I ended up pulling the bell housing and gear. It was a pain in the butt. I got it all fixed up headed out the Frog handled weather like a champ. All this for one smal piece of spring I pressed home and then I lost thrust. Anchored in direct winds and rough waters to inspect the issue. Apparently my transmission oil cooler is leaking internally. I lost all my transmission oil. I allowed to cool filled it and anchored in Ingrams Bayou. Which is very secluded. Holding out here in the bayou until storm subsides then will determine if I can either fix the leak or bypass and limped It home. I flew Chinooks for the Army and even though I am not familiar with boats I have definitely learned how to improvise when Murphy rears his ugly head. Take care all and wish me luck. Weather report here in Orange beach is crappy as Hell but oddly calming and very exciting. Well I am gonna grab a drink and enjoy the show.
THE FROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE FROG View Post
Thanks man I ended up pulling the bell housing and gear. It was a pain in the butt. I got it all fixed up headed out the Frog handled weather like a champ. All this for one smal piece of spring I pressed home and then I lost thrust. Anchored in direct winds and rough waters to inspect the issue. Apparently my transmission oil cooler is leaking internally. I lost all my transmission oil. I allowed to cool filled it and anchored in Ingrams Bayou. Which is very secluded. Holding out here in the bayou until storm subsides then will determine if I can either fix the leak or bypass and limped It home. I flew Chinooks for the Army and even though I am not familiar with boats I have definitely learned how to improvise when Murphy rears his ugly head. Take care all and wish me luck. Weather report here in Orange beach is crappy as Hell but oddly calming and very exciting. Well I am gonna grab a drink and enjoy the show.
Isolate the tube in the cooler that is leaking and, if the offending tule lines up with the water ports, block both ends with a tapered wood plugs. Good luck
Old 07-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #33

City: St. Petersburg
Golden Star thin gelcoat/fiberglass hulls???

I know this is an old post but I see you have a Golden Star trawler. Im looking at a 1988 42 Golden Star but I've never heard of these. I inspected the hull and bridge and they seem very thin!! Not sure if this is one of those boats that has very little gelcoat /fiberglass. Do you have any opinion or heard any comments regarding this with Golden Star trawlers? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
I have Perkins HT6.354 in my lobster boat. I have done this several times but my keel will accommodate a 2x3 first to spread the load. I have also lifted my engine using cross beams, ½” threaded rod, & coupling nuts to raise it enough to remove the oil pan, check the bearings and replace the oil pumps.
I don’t think you actually need 6” to get the transmission out, more like 2 – 3” for a Velvet Drive

ervonna is offline   Reply With Quote