Cat 3208 turbo 320 hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brma1977

Recently bought a boat with a cat 3208 t. When I got the boat home from the auction I took valve covers off and noticed the #8 injector had been pulled out and just placed back InThe hole. I Put everything back together both sides. Opened the drain valve on oilpan to check for good oil and I got 50 oz of clean coolant out of the pan and then just clean oil. I started the engine only for 40 seconds At a time and it ran very well but I noticed raw coolant coming out of the exhaust pipe. What do I do? No white smoke as I didn't let the engine get up to operating temps.

A location to ask your question is Boatdiesel.com That blog is focused on engine problems. I am only guessing, but I would be looking at a blown head gasket or possible cracks in casting for the leakage.
You said that you got the boat back to the dock after purchase. Did you run the engine for some time in that process. It would seem that you would have used up the available coolant. The loose injector suggests there is a problem with the #8 cylinder that someone was trying to hide. Good luck on your hunt.

Last edited:
You might get lucky and its only a head gasket. Hearing that it is an auction boat, that the injector had been removed but not replaced and the amount of coolant that was visible I fear there are more serious problems.

I would bet it's just a head gasket since the symptoms point to that and they are known for it. 3208 head gaskets are not hard to change, assuming you have decent access to the engine. Please feel free to ping me, I can offer many tips.

"Just a head gasket" ?

Not in every case, but usually there is a reason the head gasket blows, or colateral damage such as warped heads.

Good Luck.

pete

The Cat 3208 time before overhaul is 30,000. Note that's in gallons, however, not hours. So it needs one much earlier than the normally aspirated 220hp e.g.

My 30 year old Cat 3208 port engine perforated the oil cooler and I got black oil in my coolant 4 years ago. This year it was the heat exchanger with sea water in the coolant (because of the red coolant I thought at first it was diesel). When the oil cooler went, I don't remember if there was coolant in the oil as I had a mechanic do the work. Might be something to check. Do you have oil in your coolant?

"Just a head gasket" ?

Not in every case, but usually there is a reason the head gasket blows, or colateral damage such as warped heads.

Good Luck.

pete

These engines came from the factory with weak fire rings in the head gaskets that will eventually lead to failure unless the engines are run under light load all the time. OEM replacement gaskets are re-designed to fix this issue.

I replaced all 4 of my 3208 head gaskets proactively (engines were running fine) and 3 of the 4 gaskets already had failed fire rings. None of them had allowed coolant into the oil or the combustion chamber yet, but it was just a matter of time because when the fire ring fails, the remaining head gasket material does not hold up well to combustion temperatures and erodes quickly.

The injector was probably removed to do a compression test on that cylinder..
For your info,, you can do the same..>>>Dan

look at the last letter of the serial number
this letter indicate the type of load the motor is build for.
i now the 'Z' is for a continu load, 'A' for max load only for a short time and then a cool down time. this has been told to me by a Carterpillar technical service man.

He mention it when he inspected my motors and was suppriced that i had 2 'Z' types build in, thy are more used on generators and heavy industrial applications where a continu full load is needed.

Back
Top Bottom