Belt Tensioning Jack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjo1516

Vessel Name
Miss Molly
Vessel Make
1987 Kadey Krogen Manatee
Earlier this week, I installed new 3/8” dual V dive belts on my Volvo Penta TMD 31A. Tried using a hammer handle as a lever to tension the belt. There had to be a better way. Through a little research, I found a belt tensioning jack from MSC Industries and ordered it. The tool arrived yesterday and I used it today. It worked GREAT! It was an elegant solution to a brute force problem. Once the appropriate set of nuts and bolts were loosened, I inserted the jack between the drive pully and the alternator pully. I used a 3/4” wrench to rotate the jack’s hex shaped shaft until I had the appropriate tension. Then tightened the nuts and bolts and removed the jack.

Tested the installation and no dust. Also, the alternator pully did not seem to get any warmer than it normally does. After a few hours of run time, I’ll check the installation again and make any necessary adjustment.

Welcome aboard. Yes, it is a handy tool.

Have used one for years. Be careful, the ends can be broken off if not perfectly square between the pulleys.

I have been using one for years. I found it on eBay.

They are available from several sources but they all seem to be the same cheaply made product, just sold under different names.

Harbor Freight sells them also. They require a minimum of about five inches between pulleys. Sometimes you will not have that much room.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom