85-140 Gear Lube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sea_wolf

I purchased my first trawler and am having trouble figuring out where this gear lube is used. She has twin Ford Lehman 120hp and a Westerbeke generator. I’m a mechanic by trade and can’t find anything I would use gear lube in except the lower unit on the outboard. There are 3 quarts in the engine room and one has been opened for use. Could the previous owner have used it in the Simms fuel pump??? Any thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated.

Do you have a bow thruster?

My Galley Maid windlass uses gear lube.
I purchased my first trawler and am having trouble figuring out where this gear lube is used. She has twin Ford Lehman 120hp and a Westerbeke generator. I’m a mechanic by trade and can’t find anything I would use gear lube in except the lower unit on the outboard. There are 3 quarts in the engine room and one has been opened for use. Could the previous owner have used it in the Simms fuel pump??? Any thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated.

Must be for a manual gear box.

FYI that’s heavier than usual.

Some windlasses use gear oil

I popped the top off of the windlass and that oil seemed to have a thinner viscosity. I’m at a loss. I’ve never used 85-140 before...she’s kinda thick.

I used it in an Italian gear box that was very noisy. I mixed it w some High viscosity motorcycle synthetic racing Lube. Bell-Ray MC-1. It was very viscous too. And held a lot of viscosity when hot. Total success on this one.

Back
Top Bottom