Learn to tie a Bowline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been at some marinas where the dockmasters will uncoil your neatly flemished coils.

The is the thought that they help promote dock rot.....hold moisture...especially neat the cleat.

Also many commercial guys will never use a half hitch to finish of a cleating...have seen then jam too often if the line isn't just the right size for the cleat or whatever tying to.

If you've ever tried to remove a cleated line with a hitch in winter you'd know why us commercial guys don't use them. They're unnecessary anyway.

I believe it is called a chain sinnet....I think.

On commercial trawlers it's called a codend knot, it won't come undone when the last bight is put through full and it can be undone easily with tons of pressure on it. There's another version similar to a hangman's knot that we used to use on smaller boats that had the same qualities.

There's at least six different versions of a bowline and there's at least three ways to tie a simple bowline. A handy trick if you boat where there's a lot of tide or anywhere you need an eye around a tall piling is to tie a slip knot where you want the bowlines terminus. Make sure the slip is able to be pulled out from the standing part, wrap the bitter end around the piling and through the bight of the slip with a few extra inches, pull on the standing part to pull the bight through and you have a bowline. When possible I prefer a line that starts and ends on the same cleat but that's not always possible. Always use an eye that's plenty big enough, small eyes suck and every premade dockline I've ever seen in a chandler has too small an eye.

In a previous life I worked Rock and Roll concerts. The Bowline knot was the knot every stage hand and rigger knew how to tie.

I was explained to me as " A stagehand comes out of the bar, swings around the lamp post and goes back into the bar"

pete

In a previous life I worked Rock and Roll concerts. The Bowline knot was the knot every stage hand and rigger knew how to tie.

I was explained to me as " A stagehand comes out of the bar, swings around the lamp post and goes back into the bar"

pete

Thanks Pete, that's a funny one, never heard that one before :lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom