Overnights in Long Island Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain_Michael

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Dutchess
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 46
Am moving a boat around the end of the month from Stonington, CT, to the Chesapeake Bay. The boat is new to me, so if something goes bump or bang not only am I not sure what that might be but where it went bump or bang be would also be bit of a mystery. Consequently, I plan to move along the shore west to NYC via Long Island Sound, then down the coast of NJ as opposed to going off-shore. Again, with a new to me boat I will travel initially in the daytime, and at this time of year, I'm guessing daylight hours are 0700-1730. Looking at a cruising speed of 7 knots (full displacement boat), so likely 8-9 hours per day or ~50-60 miles.

Looking for suggestions about harbors and marinas initially in Connecticut where to overnight while in the Sound. Want something with easy entrance in case of delay and having to enter in dusk. Will try to avoid that scenario. Likley will initially go along north side of the Sound (Connecticut) until I can cross to NY and use one of the harbors on the NY side going west starting with Port Jefferson.

Once near or through NYC, I'll wait for a good weather window and overnight from NYC to Cape May and either go up the Delaware Bay and into the Bay or overnight again to Cape Charles, then into the Bay from the south.

I have done the Jersey and Eastern shore so for me the question is Long Island Sound, namely Connecticut and NY ports that are easy to enter in case I'm running into dusk. Not the plan, but .... best to be prepared.

So, where would one recommend overnighting while in the Sound? Maybe first two nights along CT coast then crossing to NY?

When I plan a trip - I use Google Maps and Navionics to find fuel and marinas. My range is 200 or so miles.

Google maps will give you an idea of where to look and you can use the measure feature to show you which areas to look for Marinas. Drill down and you can find the marinas. Google will also tell you if that marina sells gas or diesel and if they take transient boats (slips).

Navionics gives me a better feel for my draft and where I can get into and out of in terms of marinas and if they have the fuel (diesel) for my boat.
Hope that helps - I done this from FL to NJ and out to Cape Cod - it works for me and I am sure it will work for you.

Make sure to get a 2023 Eldridge Pilot to time Hells Gate.

ActiveCaptain.com IS a good resource and will show you anchorages and marinas along the way.

Dusk is around 5PM after DST ends on 11/5. I would want the anchor set well before then. Make sure you have a good battery for your windlass.

You can plot your trip now based upon marinas that will be open and sell fuel. You can always extend your range with external 5 gal jerry cans.

A good first step from Stonington will be Westbrook, but if you catch the tide in your favor you might want to go as far as Branford. Both have decent anchorage outside the river, and both have good Safeharbor marinas. I think you don't want to bother with Clinton's poorly marked and very shoaly channel.

There are a few good ports at the end of the next 60-mile leg (I just did this a few days ago), I put into Manhasset Bay because easy-in-easy-out. After I already had my hook down I overheard on the radio that one of the facilities there doesn't charge for moorings for the first night, but I didn't catch which one it was.
Catch the tide right the next morning and you're at the statue of liberty 4 hours later.

Last edited:
We left Old Saybrook at dusk/dark in November and got into Manhasset around 4 am. Our cruise speed is 8.5 knots. Easy in/out and close to Hells gate to time your run. Oyster Bay is another easy in/out, but further away from Hells Gate.

Good suggestions. Just what I hoped for. Welcome more ideas from knowledgeable folks. Thanks!

I’ve done that trip from Mystic a few times
If it were me, I’d make my first stop at Mattituck Inlet on Long Island. There are marinas but you can also anchor at the end of the basin.
Next stop would be Manhassett Bay and there are free moorings town of Port Washington.
Then go thru NYC and not worry about timing the current. It’s safe enough and the only boy difference will be the time it takes to get into New York Harbor.
The Highlands in Jersey is a nice place, moorings, marina or anchor. Or continue to run into manaquan inlet or Barnegat Bay.
You can go inside to Cape May stop there and/or continue up the Delaware and the C and D canal.
Hope this helps have a great trip.

Regarding Cape May going inside. We did it at night and encountered an unlit, very narrow open derelict RR bridge that had me biting my nails squeezing through. I do not remember that from my younger days and will not do that route again. Manasquan is OK as long as not an on-shore wind and outgoing tide. Absecon (Atlantic City) may or may not still be safe near the boardwalk and/or Marinas. Delaware Bay can get real sloppy with outgoing tide and opposing wind.

Did LI sound this summer, some interesting places but boy is it expensive! It's not too far but Old Saybrook Harbor One is a good stop; easy to get in and out and not far off the sound. From there you can diagonal across the sound towards port Jefferson, especially if there is a south wind coming. Willis Marine in Huntington bay is decent and if you find you need any service or parts, they have it right there.
Port Washington is a great stop on a mooring ball and a good place to position yourself then to hit Hell Gate the next day with good timing so the current is going with you (but not too much with you ;) ).
By the way if you haven't been to Mystic, that was one of our favorite stops in the Sound.
Oh, and by the way regards to the C&D canal; In the spring we tried to enter the marina in Chesapeake City, and with our 5' draft we absolutely couldn't get to the dock. They had extra silting or something and had to start turning boats away.

Last edited:
The online tools (Navionics & Aquamap for example) can also help you time Hells Gate effectively... easier than the book IMO.

We like:
Sheepshead Bay Yacht Club for a rental mooring ball includes launch service till 9:00pm (good restaurants all within walking distance. Good waiting point for weather window.
Alt:
Lawrence NY - Banister Bay (anchorage or municipal marina - both are good options close to inlet to await a weather window to cross to NJ)

NJ: We like Sandy Hook Harbor Marina, but often skip that and go directly into:
Manasquam Inlet... several marina options in there.

This link to our blog discusses "NJ Strategies" As you will read there, we've gone on the NJICW northbound, we prefer outside to Atlantic City if conditions are right.

AC then Cape May, then Delaware City.
Recommend: Get familiar with the DBOFS tool for timing currents on Delaware Bay.

https://shellerina.com/2022/05/03/nj-coast-strategies/

https://shellerina.com/2022/09/17/15-miles-nm-to-go-for-atlantic-city/

https://shellerina.com/2022/04/30/dbofs/

Good Luck...

As indicated... if the word "East" shows up anywhere in the forecast, many say it is a "No-Go" for NJ on the outside.

Enjoy. Bon voyage.

Last edited:
I’ve said a couple of boats back from eastern Connecticut late October and early November. Weather conditions could be cooler/cold. Lots of great marinas On both sides of the Sound.
DEFINITELY GET AN ELDRIDGE. At your cruising speed you want the current with you. Plan to be at city island early for the current change at Hells gate (Eldridge will give you the time frame for current change)

A few ideas for you based on how we do it. Fishers Island on CT side in east end of the sound has several good anchorages (see Active Captain). Also you can often grab a mooring ball at Pirates Cove marina on the west end of the island for about $31 per night. If not it's easy to anchor just outside the mooring area. From there cross the sound to Port Jefferson (55nm). Moorings and good anchorage available. Easy entrance. Anchor to port side after the entrance. Next stop can be Northport (21nm) with moorings available. Or anchor closer to the Sound for early departure. Alternatively Port Jeff to Port Washington (36nm) is a good option. Port Washington has moorings and first night is free (yellow balls). Otherwise large anchorage with lots of room. This is a good launch point for going down the east river. We prefer to do the east river with the current as it's a slow go otherwise. Port Washington to an anchorage behind Sandy Hook (35nm) after exiting NY harbor is a good jump off to go down the Jersey coast. This anchorage is not good in any winds with westerly component. I don't know an other option as we anchored there with Westerly wind at 25kts and it was terrible. Jersey coast you know so I'll stop at this point. Have a good trip.

A lot of good ideas from all of you. Many thanks.

Moving west from Stonington for a day would put you in the vicinity of Milford CT which has a nice town dock and other marinas and great/safe walking access to shops and restaurants a short distance from the waterfront. Moving west, I would avoid the Housatonic River marinas due to strong currents that will impact your SOA and make docking quite challenging. Bridgeport and Black Rock have good marinas, but Milford is still better IMHO. West from there is Norwalk which has a West Marine and good restaurants just south of the drawbridge. On the LI side, you cannot beat Port Jefferson. Best of luck for a safe journey.

When traveling eastern Long Island Sound in nice weather there is often a SW breeze in the summer. Anchoring off the north shore of the island in the lee of the bluffs can be very pleasant. Just watch out for submerged rocks. No bugs and you have an open vista for the sunset not just the other bank of a muddy river somewhere.

Thank you for Assistance

Thank you to the many people who responded with advice which I appreciated and incorporated in planning and executing the trip.

We left Stonington on Friday, 27 October, for Port Jefferson, NY. About 60 miles and we reached it easily in the late afternoon, averaging 7 knots. Next day was to Port Washington, NY, about half the previous day's distance. On arriving I discovered we had snagged a lobster trap buoy which required hiring a diver to cut free as the line was jammed between the stabilizer fin and the hull. Grrr. Sunday the 28th saw us head down the East River and through NYC harbor and into the Atllantic, heading south at Sandy Hook. Sea conditions were lousy with intermittent rain, confused seas and 6' waves. One of my crew became ill, so we pulled into Manasquan, NJ at dusk. Tricky with the strong current in the river. Had a weather day on Monday, 30 October, although the weather began to lay down late in the day. On Tuesday we motored to Cape May. Wednesday (1November) was another weather day as the wind was coming down the Delaware Bay from the north at 20-25 knots, while the tide was running from the south. The wind laid down that evening, and we left the next morning riding a favorable tide all the way through the Bay and C&D Canal past the Sassafras River. I have often anchored there, and it is a great spot, but all I could think of after that encounter with the lobster buoy was crab pots and entering in the dark. We decided to continue to motor, and we did so through the night of 2-3 November, heading south down the Bay, arriving at Kilmarnock, VA (Northern Neck), 1100 on Friday the 3rd, ending the voyage.

In summary, without pushing it, the trip took a week which included two weather days. I appreciate the suggestions you made in helping plan the trip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom