Leave a boat in Juneau?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've left the boat several times in Juneau. Many more flight options than Petersburg or Wrangell.

I normally arrive a day or two before I need to fly out. There's open linear moorage (first come, first served) in Harris Harbor on the docks on the north side and south side. Normally it's easy to find a spot for a ~40 foot boat. If something's not open when you arrive, something usually opens up within a day or two, hence arriving a few days before the flight. Maximum stay is posted as 14 days I believe, not sure what happens if you stay longer.

Monthly rates are cheap! I've never had a boat watcher and never had a problem, but I've also not left the boat for more than a week or maybe 10 days.

Auke Bay is open moorage too, but I don't like it nearly as much as Harris Harbor. Auke Bay is way rollier, very busy with cruise shippers getting on and off small tour boats, and further from restaurants and attractions in Juneau.

I'll call around, see what I can learn. Flight schedules out of either Petersburg or Wrangell turn it into an overnight trip, making Juneau preferred.

As it pertains to Wrangell:L
One North bound - Petersburg, Juneau-daily
One South bound -Ketchikan, Seattle-daily.

As for jet service, Alaska Air as a daily 737 flight from Seattle to Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg and ending in Juneau. If you're placing the boat on the hard, also consider Warangal. They have a good yard with trades to work on your boat if needed.

Darn! Raduran, you should not identify yourself as being from Ketchikan. the ingrates that drift North from the floating traffic jams of Puget Sound, always seek out those of us water front , to use a new identification term, "Deplorables" and demand or so it seems, tribute for the privilege of visiting. Most accept 'Alaska Amber' which stops the whining about a little rain.:lol::lol::D:D

Al-Ketchikan:hide:
Welcome to the forum, There are moments along with offsetting wonderful insights , information, served with just good company.

So a related question, as it’s something I’d be interested in doing in a few years - what about wintering over and living aboard in Juneau? What is it like to find morrage to do that?

I am not sure if there is a haul out in Juneau. Closest haul out would be Wrangell.

If you find one, let us know.

There are always a number people working on boats on the hard right in front of the harbormaster's office. Not sure how they get there.

There are always a number people working on boats on the hard right in front of the harbormaster's office. Not sure how they get there.

Most were on trailers or on the grid at low tide. The grid is so hard for those from the Puget Sound understand. They always state "You are polluting" our waters!!!!:blush:

So a related question, as it’s something I’d be interested in doing in a few years - what about wintering over and living aboard in Juneau? What is it like to find morrage to do that?

Would depend on what size of boat for moorage and .......
You would be vulnerable to power outages depending on your infrastructure. You may be uptown when the power goes so will be cold when you get back. You will learn new ways of tying your boat to the float. When I moved there my old notion of letting a boat move around a bit was promptly ditched. You'll need attachments for your boots for walking on ice or just keep falling down. You'll probably know every cafe and local restaurant within walking distance. And you'll wonder how the guys (or gals) survive living in an old open skiff covered w plastic and "heated" w a light bulb. These minimalist liveaboards give the harbor an beautiful warm glow at Christmas w the light bulbs penetrating both the clear plastic and the snow. But a cold clear night in Harris Harbor w more stars above than you thought existed will be a near magic experience. Staying upright walking around in the Taku winds is challenging and dangerous.

Sound like fun? You may meet a man who has a cabin in the woods and visit. All the above I experienced in 1972 and more but I lived in an apartment downtown.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom