GenSet etiquette while anchoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Being a former sailor, I tend to have a general distaste for generators. Even so, I run mine typically a couple times a day, morning and evening. We don’t run it “too early” or “too late”. What those times are depend on the season, the anchorage, and the neighbors.

I also have checked the noise from my genset, taking my rowing dinghy out on a quiet evening while my genset was running. The genset itself can’t be heard outside the the boat. The wet exhaust can be heard, but it is very quiet and can’t be heard at all a few boat lengths away except from the aft starboard quarter. From that angle, the exhaust can be heard from a few boat lengths away, but you have to actively listen for it.

So i don’t worry about it anymore and just continue to not run it too early or too late.

In similar discussions in other boating groups, it has been my experience that if someone feels that they have the "right" to run their generator or loud stereo, nothing that can be said will change their minds. Some folks think the world revolves around them while others realize that they are just a small part of the world and tend to treat others as they would like to be treated.
The tolerance for noise varies widely between people as well. Some will always have the TV or stereo on, or have headphone, basically can't live without some noise. Those types do not see what the problem is - isn't everyone like them? In their minds, they are treating others like they would be treated.

On the east coast, anchorages are typically noisy, the climate requires AC to support life, and one must live with it. In remote anchorages on the west coast, it can be silent but for the gensets.

On the east coast, anchorages are typically noisy, the climate requires AC to support life, and one must live with it. In remote anchorages on the west coast, it can be silent but for the gensets.

Agreed. Being in a cove with just one other boat is not the same as being in one with dozens of boats.

Courtesy is the rule.

There are the never types and the 24/7 types. Neither will satisfy everyone as compromise is the only tool that works unless..... your gonna never annoys anyone. If you can hear it at all out to the distance of the closest boat....you may wins up annoying someone.

But then again... if I anchor well away from others and some Yahoo anchors 50 yards from me in a wide open area... I am not too worried sbout disturbing them.

You never can go wrong with the sunup to sundown rule (within tolerances of really short days)...if you need genset for coffee or late night TV..... there are alternatives and no excuses.

Great post!! I try to follow the 8-10 when running my genny. But when you arrive late to the anchorage........

We don't pull in on top of other boats and if they pull on top of us, we can't help it. Our Gen will be running when they arrive. We do run our A/C system for heat or air or dehumidification all the time.

As to issues, never been near a group of sailboats that were noise free.

We try not to pull up on others, but sometimes you have no choice. My old (34 years old) Onan 8K is very quiet.

But when I start it, it kills mosquitoes with a 1/2 mile radius until it warms up!:eek:

I'm not being a jerk, I'm just not going to let others dictate how I operate my boat.

That said I avoid anchoring close to others whenever possible, and I do not care if others in an anchorage run their generators

What are we going to do next... Not grill food because someone else might become offended? :blush:

As some have suggested, I will never go ask permission to run my genny.

:nonono:

I'd be more FAR more conservative than the 8am-10PM. I hate it when someone is running their generator in the evening. I'd say shut it down by 6PM unless you absolutely need it to cook. We only run ours mid-day. Many of us relish the silence of a quiet anchorage in the evening and running the gen is just plain rude. In my case I don't hear many people running the things in the evening unless it's a really big boat anchored away from others.

So the size of my boat dictates if I can run my genset? If you are the first into an anchorage and someone shows up running their genset you expect them to shut it down? If running a genset bothers you, move to a different moorage.

There are so many ways people will be annoyed in anchorages.... from music to loud talking and laughing to small vessels buzzing around. Generators are just one of the "annoyances".

Some are annoyed when others just occupy their favorite anchorage.

Most anchorages on the US east coast are never silent from outside sources such as road noise, planes, etc... West coast I can see some more remote spots.

Noisiest anchorage I was ever in was due to frogs.... dang environmentalists keep preserving the little buggers........ :D

Very good point. As far as cooking. Wish I could use charcoal, but use propane. Good for crab legs. Never had frog legs

Early in the season we pulled into Prideaux Haven B.C.. With a sail boat and another boat anchored we had the place almost to ourselves. While exploring the shore, another boat pulled in. Looked like a new Nordy or Saline, all nice and painted green. They anchored off our STBD bow on the other side of the anchorage. It was around 5 Pm and I started the genset and went to the bow to enjoy a scotch and cigar. A few minutes later a lady came out and demand I shut my genset off! I asked why, it was 5 PM? The noise was bothering her. I asked what noise?

She came out about 15 minutes later screaming at me to shut down my genset. Trying to be neighborly, I started to walk to the salon to shut it down. She started yelling again telling me to shut it down. My reply was "NO I WILL NOT!!" She asked why not? I responded "You didn't say Please!! I turned and went back to the bow, took a puff from my cheap cigar, took a sip of my cheap redneck scotch, looked at her and offered a toast! I thought she was going to come unglued.

Then the sailboat, who was anchored behind them, went to his bow and cranked up one of those old Colman generators. The ones that made my boat shake!! LOL:eek:

They eventually left.

Sometime being considerate doesn't work, especially when you have size issues.:dance::lol:

Last edited:
Wifey B: Bumper sticker: If you can hear our gen, you're too close. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom