Aft Deck Sag 1976 GS 43 MK2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ranger46

Folks, how common was aft deck sag on the 1976 GS 43 MK2. as you can see in the picture, the aft deck is concave by about 1-2 inches in the center on the stb side of the hatch. I have sounded out and moisture metered the deck finding the area under the flybridge down ladder to be soft. other than that it is solid. I went below and checked for deck flex and it seems to be very ridged. I intend to drop the headliner in the aft stateroom to inspect thoroughly as well as tackle the soft spot. Prior to doing that I am looking for any known issues on this model / brand and if this was a known problem? and what others have done to rectify it.

Thanks,

Simon

Do you know what there is for core in your deck?

I removed some teak plywood core and a friend is recoring his aft cabin and flybridge.
I saw that even the places where there was no indication of water the plywood itself had separated. The glue that bonded the layers of ply together did not stand the test of time. The top and bottom layer still were epoxied to the fiberglass but the wood in the center was not bonded to itself anymore. So the more flexing (high traffic), you lose all the stiffness/support that was there with everything bonded together as one.

This is based on my limited knowledge.

Thanks Charlie O. I don't know what the core is yet. I will open it up in the next few months and post my findings. your thoughts make a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom