USMC Intro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcshepherd

Hello,

I am a retired Marine of 25 years of combat service and 15 years of RV experience looking to change things up and get into the trawler lifestyle. While I’ve ridden on Navy ships to various combat zones, I was riding not driving, so I’m pretty inexperienced on the boat front. Would greatly appreciate anyone’s thoughts concerning recommendations on trawlers for single or couple exploration of Pacific Northwest up to an including Alaska, thanks again for the ad.

Welcome to the TF!

If you have zero experience in operating any boat, there maybe some benefit to starting out smaller and move up.
OR renting and getting some training.

A 30 to 50 foot yacht isn't the same as an RV.
While even a large RV has some attributes to a passenger car or truck, a boat does not.

Spending some time and money in classes and/or hiring someone to give you instructions on the water would be time and money well spent if you have zero experience.

Also, thank you for your service.

Good luck and welcome to the Trawler World.

As a post script, you can also make a vacation out of your learning experience.
https://www.moorings.com/
Rent a cat, get the instructions and do your thing on the water.

Even if the cat has those white sheets that go up on a pole. It is some experienece you can use, and some of that will transfer on a sailing vessel. You can charter with or without a skipper. And no matter what your choice, most companies will provide instructions or guide you at least for a period. Have some fun. Get to understand the water. And get some experience, no matter what size of boat.

There are some good trawler rental operations in Anacortes and Bellingham that might be a good way to get started. And I’d join in the thanks for your service!

Welcome aboard, Leatherneck!

I recommend you do not immediately buy a boat. I did as I was nearing the end of my naval service, but I had been doing the driving for you (USS Denver) and maintaining vessels for a couple of decades.

Find the delivery skippers/companies in your area and volunteer, at first as unpaid crew, later as paid once you know what you are doing. This way you see different boats and learn lots of skills.

I can't seeing buying a small boat. It's a waste of time in obtaining your goal of cruising.

Take some classes, talk to boat owners, buy a boat that fits the need and hire a captain to teach boat handling. It's cheaper than buying a small boat you don't want that's going to handle differently than a decent sized boat. And then sell it, probably at a loss.
My first boat was 65' and I was 13. I had people that could teach me. I've had no accidents, collisions or claims in the 60+ years since. My experiences in Vietnam taught me there is nothing a Marine can't do if he puts his mind to it. In the USN but operated with USMC often. I learned, you will, too.

Welcome aboard !

We all had to learn it once and we all managed, so will you !
As a tip. Get some lessons, they are extremely valuable, but make sure you study the theoretical part first. It doesn't make any sense to spend money on boat handling when you don't know anything about currents, tides, buoys, rules of the sea etc etc
Once you get the hang of it you will start to enjoy it and the learning will go much easier and faster.
Good luck !

I can't seeing buying a small boat. It's a waste of time in obtaining your goal of cruising.

Take some classes, talk to boat owners, buy a boat that fits the need and hire a captain to teach boat handling. It's cheaper than buying a small boat you don't want that's going to handle differently than a decent sized boat. And then sell it, probably at a loss.
My first boat was 65' and I was 13. I had people that could teach me. I've had no accidents, collisions or claims in the 60+ years since. My experiences in Vietnam taught me there is nothing a Marine can't do if he puts his mind to it. In the USN but operated with USMC often. I learned, you will, too.

What he said!...good advice..

What he said!...good advice..

Sounds like good advice…I’ve got plenty of time 2 yrs to take the classes as well as get some first hand experience. Some of these companies provide a multi-day delivery experience as well which is definitely take advantage of. Thanks for all the great thoughts!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom