New Guy, Research mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartyGilbreth

My wife, Linda and I are looking for a great loop boat and planning on doing the loop 1-2 years from now. Just starting the boat research now. I’ve had numerous small pleasure boats and currently have a Sportsman Masters 247 for in-shore fishing here on the Georgia coast. I like the layout of many trawlers and downeast’ers but a huge concern of mine is ease of maintenance and accessibility of engine(s). I served in submarines for 6 years, ran a machine shop all my adult life, and maintenance is sort of my thing. I don’t want an engine(s) that are crammed up next to a bulkhead. I also think I want a semi-displacement hull as I’d like the ability to escape small weather systems as I cross the gulf…just maybe a speed of up to around 20 knots or so. Bow and Stern thrusters also a must, I won’t be talked out of those. Hoping to do the deed for less than 200K, ideally around 150K. Don’t care about year model if it is well taken care of. So, any input, recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

To your list you might want to add whether you will keep the boat after the Loop and what kind of cruising you plan to do. Also, size has a huge impact on price. A length range would be helpful.

You may not be familiar with it, but there's atleast one broker who specializes in flipping Loop boats. You might buy it from him and when you've completed the Loop, he sells it, often to a future Looper.

Ted

Thank you. I’ll see if I can figure out how to edit my post now. Will be selling after loop completion. Looking for 36-40 footer.

Last edited:
Greetings y'all,
Welcome aboard. You should be able to find a vessel to your liking in your price range. A BIG plus on your side. IMO, is you value condition over make/model BUT you also have to find a boat that fits YOU.

Welcome to the forum!

To your list you might want to add whether you will keep the boat after the Loop and what kind of cruising you plan to do. Also, size has a huge impact on price. A length range would be helpful.

You may not be familiar with it, but there's atleast one broker who specializes in flipping Loop boats. You might buy it from him and when you've completed the Loop, he sells it, often to a future Looper.

Ted

Thank you. I’ll see if I can figure out how to edit my post now. Will be selling after loop completion. Looking for 36-40 footer.

This was one broker that comes to mind regarding flipping Great Loop boats.

https://www.curtisstokes.net/great-loop-boats-for-sale.html

Ted

Welcome aboard. If you are leaving in a year or so you should be buying now. It will take some time to get your new to you boat in the shape you like before you leave on the loop.

Greetings,
Might just be me but I did NOT have a pleasant experience with Curtis and as a result I would NOT recommend the company. Plenty of other brokers out there.

Plus 1 on Comodaves comment. Do not want to be doing major alterations on the Loop. Delayed our start due to changing and adding stuff.

Focusing on your desire to outrun small storms at "20 knots or more" while crossing the gulf. I can't remember right off the bat how many times I have crossed the 165-mile stretch of the Gulf of Mexico between Carrabelle/Dog Island and Tarpon Springs/Clearwater, but if that is the biggest reason you want to be able to power up to 20 knots or more, let me allay your worries. There is enough accurate weather forecasting available that you should never have to run that risk. I have not even seen a thunderstorm out there because we wait for the famous "weather window." High RPM turning turbo-powered diesels (like my current engine) are a horse of a very different color compared to the two naturally aspirated 120-HP Ford-Lehmans I had in my trawler. They are now 51 years old and going strong under new management.

Getting a comfortable enough boat in the 36-40 foot range to go that fast is going to require a much more diesel power (and thus likely restricted maintenance access) than is required for much of the loop unless you don't care to see what is passing by during your travels, which from the tone of your post seems untrue.

A few questions you might want to answer to yourself in your quest are:
Do you want to be able to operate the boat from enclosed comfort?
Do you want/need a flying bridge?
Single or twin? Probably single since you want ST and BT. Ah, more maintenance access. :)
Galley up or down? My wife always enjoyed being next to my pilot chair as she puttered about fixing meals in our galley-up Grand Banks 42 so she could see what was going on and help lookout.
Electronic:
Radar? We have encountered lots of fog on the rivers.
AIS transponder? I would not leave home without it. The river locks now have it and seeing you coming can help them help you get through faster. Helps you see the towboats around corners.
Plotter: Of course.
Auto pilot: I would not leave home without.
Sounder(s): At least two. I have been on the rivers when the only sounder on the boat I was moving went out - made me feel naked. My own boat had three transducers.
Night vision system: If you insist.
Beds: Sleep in the bow and put up with water chuckling under your head and more vertical movement if it blows or aft where things are quieter?

Greetings,
Might just be me but I did NOT have a pleasant experience with Curtis and as a result I would NOT recommend the company. Plenty of other brokers out there.
And I had a terrific experience with Curtis. It might be just I, but I rather doubt it as he has a thriving brokerage with plenty of customers recommending his services.

Focusing on your desire to outrun small storms at "20 knots or more" while crossing the gulf. I can't remember right off the bat how many times I have crossed the 165-mile stretch of the Gulf of Mexico between Carrabelle/Dog Island and Tarpon Springs/Clearwater, but if that is the biggest reason you want to be able to power up to 20 knots or more, let me allay your worries. There is enough accurate weather forecasting available that you should never have to run that risk. I have not even seen a thunderstorm out there because we wait for the famous "weather window." High RPM turning turbo-powered diesels (like my current engine) are a horse of a very different color compared to the two naturally aspirated 120-HP Ford-Lehmans I had in my trawler. They are now 51 years old and going strong under new management.

Getting a comfortable enough boat in the 36-40 foot range to go that fast is going to require a much more diesel power (and thus likely restricted maintenance access) than is required for much of the loop unless you don't care to see what is passing by during your travels, which from the tone of your post seems untrue.

A few questions you might want to answer to yourself in your quest are:
Do you want to be able to operate the boat from enclosed comfort?
Do you want/need a flying bridge?
Single or twin? Probably single since you want ST and BT. Ah, more maintenance access. :)
Galley up or down? My wife always enjoyed being next to my pilot chair as she puttered about fixing meals in our galley-up Grand Banks 42 so she could see what was going on and help lookout.
Electronic:
Radar? We have encountered lots of fog on the rivers.
AIS transponder? I would not leave home without it. The river locks now have it and seeing you coming can help them help you get through faster. Helps you see the towboats around corners.
Plotter: Of course.
Auto pilot: I would not leave home without.
Sounder(s): At least two. I have been on the rivers when the only sounder on the boat I was moving went out - made me feel naked. My own boat had three transducers.
Night vision system: If you insist.
Beds: Sleep in the bow and put up with water chuckling under your head and more vertical movement if it blows or aft where things are quieter?

Listen to him. Also at your budget smaller means a better condition boat. Loopers I know also say looping on a smaller boat is easier. Less airdraft, less draft, easier to dock and find docking. You also didn’t say how many people. If it’s just mom and pop 32-36’ is enough. AT was mentioned above. I have a NT which I bought after comparing the two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom