New guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derm94

Just picked up Grand Banks 36 classic Wanderer and am taking it from the east coast of FL to the west coast. Retired navy guy trying to recall navigation and rules of the road that I forgot 30 years ago. Look forward to asking dumb questions if you’ll have me. Dave.

Attachments

• 7DBA02E0-47C3-48C5-AF10-99C1BED60912.jpg
    7DBA02E0-47C3-48C5-AF10-99C1BED60912.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 34
  • F6E7C6C9-0A18-4625-B303-C21063C6DE4A.jpg
    F6E7C6C9-0A18-4625-B303-C21063C6DE4A.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 33
Just picked up Grand Banks 36 classic Wanderer and am taking it from the east coast of FL to the west coast. Retired navy guy trying to recall navigation and rules of the road that I forgot 30 years ago. Look forward to asking dumb questions if you’ll have me. Dave.

Nice boat. We did the opposite track about 2 years ago. We went from Naples, through Lake O and down the intracoastal to palm beach gardens. Took us 4 days and it was a great trip.

Fine looking ride, congratulations. You'll have plenty of questions going forward, this is a great place to start.

The GB36 is a fine boat. I enjoyed ours for three years until we wanted more space to accomodate guests and us during the waking hours. Excellent most of the time for 2 or a small family.

Welcome aboard! I chartered a GB36 once, great boat.

Welcome aboard, Dave, and congrats on your new-to-you GB 36. She looks handsome, with what appear to be painted cap rails and handrails, and fiberglass decks. What year is she, and what is the powertrain? More photos always welcome here!

If you are making the trek soon via the lake Okeechobee route you should check the algae levels in the lake. It can take a toll on the lungs if exposed long enough. The levels should start to decline soon as we enter the cooler weather.

When you say West Coast are you meaning "of Florida" or like California, big difference.

pete

Yeah. West coast of Florida. Near Pensacola. I’m worn out after 5 days transit. I can’t imagine a trip that long.

Yep, I was wondering as well, West Coast of Florida vs West Coast of US! Nice boat! Looks like a previous owner removed the teak decking, so that's a plus. What year? Fiberglass, or wood? Have the fuel tanks been replaced? Happy boating!:thumb::D

Thanks all for the kind comments. Just finished 9 day trek from Titusville through Okeechobee and up the west coast to my home near Pensacola. Long trip. I'm worn out. Hired a captain to help me get it here and very glad I did. A previous owner removed the teak decks and put some kind of non skid down. It's fairly well done and I'm glad I don't have to deal with the teak after what I've read about it. Boat is a '77, hull 528, fiberglass. Single Lehman 120 horse that ran like a top. Previous owner took very good care of the teak hand rails and she's in good shape. Now I have to learn how to keep her up. Fought the generator the whole trip so ended up buying a Harbor Freight predator gen just to keep AC on. Think the impeller needs to be replaced in the Onan. I'll be searching the forum for info and will reach out when stumped. Cheers. Dave

Greetings,
Mr. D. Welcome aboard. Kiwi Grip is a great non-skid. VERY easy to apply and water soluble for clean up. Inert when cured.

If your Onan is the same age as your boat or nearly as old I suggest you head over to smokstak.com There are some true experts on the older Onans over there. I could not have gotten my 83 vintage Onan running and kept it running without their help.

I have made that trip a number of times, it is well worth the time to stop at the Dry Tortugas. Great snorkling and fishing.

M

We did that in 2020 with our 54' Hatteras thru Okeechobee. Definitely scenic, I'd recommend it with an overnight in Clewiston at Roland Martin marina

Just Remember RED right Returning ...

Thanks all for the kind comments. Just finished 9 day trek from Titusville through Okeechobee and up the west coast to my home near Pensacola. Long trip. I'm worn out. Hired a captain to help me get it here and very glad I did. A previous owner removed the teak decks and put some kind of non skid down. It's fairly well done and I'm glad I don't have to deal with the teak after what I've read about it. Boat is a '77, hull 528, fiberglass. Single Lehman 120 horse that ran like a top. Previous owner took very good care of the teak hand rails and she's in good shape. Now I have to learn how to keep her up. Fought the generator the whole trip so ended up buying a Harbor Freight predator gen just to keep AC on. Think the impeller needs to be replaced in the Onan. I'll be searching the forum for info and will reach out when stumped. Cheers. Dave

That's a great way to learn about your boat. Nine days is a long time, first time out. Great shake down cruise for sure.

Last edited:
Welcome Dave. Good to have another GB 36 around. We have #599 a '79. Glad to see yours, like ours, had the decks redone. Hopefully we will meet when we cruise your way on the Loop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom