Old 07-15-2021, 11:50 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychowolff View Post
At about a grand a day. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a beat up boat and Upgrade after I'm done 'beating and learning' on it? You wouldnt lose $10k if you buy carefully.

Boats and Everything are up right now. But that is going to Pop pretty soon! THEN ill be investing. ��
Wifey B: Well, you're trying to live up to your name.

Beating and learning costs a lot along the way. Buy for $50k spend $40k and sell for $40k is a more likely scenario. And whose lives do you endanger while beating and learning. Perhaps spend time on charters and get some training.

What makes you think you know when the market is going to pop. I thought long ago and so I've been wrong every day for months. And then the "Investing" word. Omg, investing? No, it's funding a hobby, it's spending. There is nothing in it to call investing.

Sorry to be harsh, but you really need some reality checks.

As to seasickness, I've never been but then took meds at first and every boat I've been on is well stabilized.

You're unwilling to spend on a charter, then have fun spending much more than that on a boat and this beater boat you're going to invest in isn't going to tell you what boating is like, just what trying to work on an old piece of junk is like. You're likely to find yourself hating it without ever really doing any boating.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #22
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Everyone (almost) is giving you sound advice when they say "Dont do it."
You asked for advice, you got it.
Your money, your decision.
Perhaps, more importantly the investment of your time.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:35 PM   #23

City: St Cloud
Firehoser & 007. Those are the pointers I am looking for. I stopped at Silver Bay Marina a few weeks ago (allowed to walk the docks, not a locked and gated area) and chatted with a few owners about why they chose thier boats and pointers on liveaboard. A few trawler types to look at. Im still getting my house on the market before I can buy anything. Plus I want my land down SE USA on the river where I can moor my boat, pull it if desired. Wrap it and goto Ireland for a year... NOT looking to buy right now. But you Cant Dictate Love, can ya??

(Oh... i want the Mclaren@Civic pricing lol)

I'll try to put a pic of the bluewater I saw. As mentioned, luv the flat open layout and wood work. 2 Owners. Looks good. But worried about 'taiwan build' and the motors fuel use. Twin big turbo'd diesels for chugging along at 8k... a mile or two per gallon is too much for me but repowering? OUCH! I have done a car but never knew a boat is SO much more detailed and costly! But... This boat is pretty sweet digitally and Im going to tour it and 'walk the docks' a bit this weekend. Check for that Spark of Love in person LOL
Psychowolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #24

The 42' blue water with the big V8 diesels.
Attached Thumbnails
20210714_095715.jpg  
Old 07-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #25

Old 07-15-2021, 02:50 PM   #26
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Completely different than what I envisioned. I must've mixed it up with another brand of a similar or same name that used to exist in the 80's. See photo. (ugh)

My bad.

That's a nice looking boat, but more sportfish than trawler.

Carry on!
Attached Thumbnails
BWY.JPG  
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:18 PM   #27
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
The Bluewater is not built to take the same waters a heavy trawler like a Grand Banks or even the Taiwan built copies can handle with aplomb because it is essentially a shallow draft inland/ICW sort of boat. Sure, it can go coastal, but with greater care given to weather restrictions. You would be banging away in tooth-rattling thumps in a BW well before you would in a trawler. Speaking of engines with more power than needed, the big engine pushing x pounds of hull at less than hull speed will burn about the same fuel a smaller engine will at the same boat speed - it's called physics. An example is the 315 HP Yanmar diesel in my current boat, a 30-foot Mainship Pilot. At 7 MPH it burns about 1.5 GPH while at 16 MPH it burns 9 GPH. After an hour or two of going slow, I blow it out for a bit at higher speeds. The two engines in my GB42 had a grand total of 240 HP pushing that boat at 9 MPH using 3.25 GPH, but there was no getting up and running to or from something if I needed to in that trawler. Pluses and minuses abound in boat and engine choices. I could put two of my 315 HP Yanmars in the GB and burn approximately the same amount of fuel at 9 MPH as I did with two 120-HP Lehmans.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #28
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Psycho.....,
I still stand by my earlier advise. However, I forgot to add 2 other concerns you should at least look into. One, moorage. Moorage can be hard to find, but that is very area dependent, and it is even more scarce for liveaboards. Many marinas do not allow liveaboards, and those that do, usually have a strict limit on how many and maybe even what slips. Vacancies for liveaboards can take time. Second, insurance. If you have little to no experience owning and operating a boat that size, you may find it hard to impossible to get insurance. You should not go without at least liability insurance, as bills for environmental cleanup can add up BIG TIME in a hurry (to say nothing about covering potential damage you do to others). I know this, cause for a few years I worked in management at a company that did environmental cleanup and I sometimes prepared the invoices. To obtain insurance you may be REQUIRED to have a certified Captain with you for a period of time, or may have to provide proof of successfully completing a specific course, etc. Insurance Companies often view the risk as too high for a new boater in a big boat!!
I hope whatever you decide to do works out, and that you don't have to learn some of these things the "hard way".
Old 07-15-2021, 05:56 PM   #29

Rgano- thanks for the info! Fuel use is a big factor in my opinion! Whats your opinion of one vs two engines? I like the safety factor of Two. But simplicity of One. I'll look into the depth and hull info on it. From my research (not much to find) they made them all 'semi' custom and came in many different layouts. It isnt a GB for sure. But i do like it so far.

Fire- any suggestions on insurance or just check with my current House/auto guy? Those are some good pointers. Enviro in the military was a Massive headache. As for the Hard Way, with a thick skull, its the Only way to get the message In. LOL

ODan. Im not planning on buying right now. Just trying to find what I want. Whst I need. What works for me... I like this bluewater boat. Im going to go look around on it. I have been on 25' pontoons and Military ships but almost Nothing in between and its a nice day trip to the marina. :-) plus, im waiting until after my house sells and I close on this river property to store one at.

B&B it sounds like you have made a few boating 'expense' errors. Myself, im careful and look into something before I 'buy' it. (Call it an Expenditure. An Investment. Or Whatever.) I'm pretty good about not losing money 'Investing' in cars, houses, stocks, or anything else. But thanks for your viewpoint. Everything goes into the Equations of what something is Worth when buying.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:21 PM   #30
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
There are several topics here on TF which will generate endless "ink," and twins versus single is one of them. Fav engine, anchor, and dinghy are some of the others. I have been assigned as a bridge watch standing officer aboard two single screw ships, five twin screw, and one quadruple screw. As for vessels larger than a runabout, I have owned a twin engine trawler and a single engine Pilot. Each vessel had its own quirks for handling, and you learn to deal with each. As to reliability, I have only returned home on less than the full set of installed engines was when a transmission pressure plate failed on my trawler. Once I transitioned to this single engine boat, I finally bought Tow BoatUS insurance, and sure enough, in 2018, I ended up blowing a cooling hose and needing a tow home. Cheaper than a second engine.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #31

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
For insurance on a bigger boat, I strongly suggest talking to a yacht insurance broker. It’s a different type of insurance than might be needed for a runabout that lives on its trailer. Most marinas have a minimum (large!) liability insurance requirement. The size of the policy is irrespective of the value of your boat. They will also typically require a survey from a qualified surveyor to establish value for hull insurance. And as mentioned, your insurance policy might be dependent on having a licensed captain onboard while you train.

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:50 PM   #32
Guru

Psycho, and where is the head on a pontoon boat?
Old 07-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #33
Guru

WifeyB, after my time in the Navy, I went to MSU in the middle 60s. I remember in ECON101, the phD professor proclaimed, 'The stock market will rise to 300 points and crash.'
Told my dad that and he gave me a blank look.
So here we had a well respected man in the field of economics, a brilliant economist, predicting the economic future, I guess the econ professor died an old, poor man if he followed his own proclamation.
I think we have discovered my econ professor reincarnated as a potential boat owner.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:00 PM   #34

Rgano. I have read up on the duals being easier to manuver once you lestn how to use them. I'll look into the 'debate' more. Thanks

Spinner. Thanks for the pointers. I'll look into the Insurance brokers...
Old 07-16-2021, 07:59 AM   #35

[QUOTE=tiltrider1;1021075]
Back to Boating...
Not sure why people dont see the Positive side of frugality. I know boats can be a moneypit, but so can Anyyhing! Houses. Marriage. Spoon collecting- Invest Wisely, not 'Jump Fast - Hot Market!!' 'Get it under Contract ASAP!' Like many have said in the forums here.

But- A $10k week charter VS buying a servicable but ugly boat. Living on it at MY Dock for a year (no real Fees other than towing ins, reg insurance and taxes- i know I'm missing a few/ generalizing) even if I lost $25k, thats $500/week VS $10k and I have 52 weeks VS 1 week to Learn about boating. You can still hire a Captain to help train you. Wouldnt that give you a Much better understanding of REAL 'Boating' than trying to cram it all into a week on a brand new beauty?? Where Evetything works. No life issues. No reality... No 'How do i dock it when the motor just blew up?!?!??' (I understand why some - like the soon to retire couple- would go down. Entertain friends or go alone at times, to test the waters on various newer boats... But, Im not looking for that Prized Marina Beauty.)

Now- Dual motors VS Single, fuel mileage, traveling expenses, compost Toilets...

Know of any decent threads about these you can point me too or proper search terms to look for? Search comes up with so many that barely touch on it, just used the word.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:56 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
The Bluewater is not built to take the same waters a heavy trawler like a Grand Banks or even the Taiwan built copies can handle with aplomb because it is essentially a shallow draft inland/ICW sort of boat.
I found a pic of one out of the water. it IS a really shallow hull design. I was hoping it might be more like the older Bluewater Pilot house trawlers from the 70's. Still going to check it over. LOL
Thanks for pointing that out.
Attached Thumbnails
20210716_084844.jpg  
Old 07-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #37
Guru

That photo looks like a sportfisher hull. This is a trawler (pleasure boat style) hull.
Attached Thumbnails
bottom touchup Sep 07.jpg  
Old 07-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Mike,

You've mentioned buying land on a waterway and keeping your boat there. It sounds like you already have a piece of land in mind? Does it have an existing dock/pier? If so, you might want to do some research and find out what type of boat it can handle, weight, not just size. I envy people who have a home base with pier etc where they can live aboard, or lay up the boat when not actively being used.

Oh, you may want to check on whether or not you can "live aboard" at a specific location before you purchase as well. A composting toilet can help you do that, alleviating the need to pump out on a regular basis, now if the dock has water and electricity, you're golden!
Old 07-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #39

Slowgoesit... Im looking at a few places in western KY/TN.
The one I prefer has a rock ledge but no dock yet. For about 50k ill have 4 acres with all New power, water, dock, and ramp. Plus a gravel parking area for the boat, RV, and a few other vehicles. What would prohibit me from living aboard my boat on my own land/dock? Do many areas have rules like that??

Oh. You probably know. What is a 'Wet Hull'?? The broker gave me different stories. The rudder pin leaks a bit and the inside is moist... The foam cored hull is wet inside but he coated the bottom with XYZ so its sealed... the windows leak some and its causing humidity to build up bla bla bla... (hard to find any concrete info on the Bluewater Yachts but the 'hull' isnt supposed to be foam cored in the 80's. But that could be wrong too.)

The boat was Nice and all but those big diesels make it impossible to do anything around them... AND they are in abused condition, no hour meter, cobwebs... no radar or other Electronics but a vhf radio. Many things not opperational. But it was nice to tour it (luv the flat layout!) And get an idea of the buying process.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:32 PM   #40

Firehoser/Northern spy/others

What is your opinion of rebuilding a sunk or otherwise salvaged boat? I have seen a lot of threads (here, passage, etc) about abandoned/sunk/too $$$ to fix boats in various spots around the country, just for hauling them away.

Once I sell and go RVing; I will have the Time, place and money to play. Learning How its Assembled and Works is important to me. My nephue is a diesel mechanic. (Not a 'marine' one and it wont be a Case of beer, more like a 6-pak of MacAllans!! Lol) I can build it up the Way I want it. (Long range & Comfy- The Rest is undecided lol)

I think spending a few years of my time rebuilding 'MY' boat and learning to boat; is better spent than doling out cash for a 'nice one' and bang it up, damage it in learning.