Hello! - Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's try this forum... :ermm:

So, I am new to the cruising lifestyle. Been looking at it for awhile, tracking a plan, researching vessel types, ect. But I am still learning!

The plan:

Will be traveling/living aboard.
Two birbs and a wife.

Start with the great loop and work my way, experience willing, down in to the Caribbean, with maybe a home port in Florida. (Daughter will likely be living there soon for her job. She may visit, but will not be living with us.)
No Experience here in the Valley of the sun, and very little option to gain that experience here.

Keep cost as low as possible, keep out of the way of storms as much as possible, and generally live a free life, again, experience permitting.

I was told I needed to come over here by other members of a rival forum, so here I am. Teach me!

The boat: I believe, that right now, a trawler is our best option.

Reasons:

Wife will not travel if we have to heel in order to get anywhere (sailing).
Because we need SOME room, for us and the birbs, to be comfortable, looking at possibly the 40 foot range. Though smaller MAY be doable.
We won't be constantly moving locations. Its time to slow down, not hurry up and go places. Plus, again, need to absorb any costs that may come with that.

Sooo, yeah, I think thats it. Glad to be here! Hope to learn all I can!

Welcome aboard. We lived in Tucson for 30 years before moving back to Michigan when we retired.

Welcome aboard. We lived in Tucson for 30 years before moving back to Michigan when we retired.

Nice! Fellow Arizonian! My mom's side is from Michigan, still have family up there. Doin the great loop would be awesome, and give me a chance to see them again.

Budget is critical to give sage advice.

In my mind/perfect world... the loop is done with a small to mid sized power boat later followed by several options of sail for the Caribbean. Florida and the Carribean are usually full of storms that are difficult to evade without heading north during Hurricane season. Even scarier than storms, is the situation concerning a place to live aboard in Florida and getting insurance for staying in FL/Caribe year round these days.

That is unless you are rich and either can find a boat suitable for both or even custom. Then one boat is good/OK for both.

You will get opinions all over the map and it all boils down to what you like, prefer, can afford, meets you safety and comfort thresholds.... etc...etc...

There really isn't a right answer....just what people have done that think will apply in your case

Budget is critical to give sage advice.

In my mind/perfect world... the loop is done with a small to mid sized power boat later followed by several options of sail for the Caribbean. Florida and the Carribean are usually full of storms that are difficult to evade without heading north during Hurricane season. Even scarier than storms, is the situation concerning a place to live aboard in Florida and getting insurance for staying in FL/Caribe year round these days.

That is unless you are rich and either can find a boat suitable for both or even custom. Then one boat is good/OK for both.

You will get opinions all over the map and it all boils down to what you like, prefer, can afford, meets you safety and comfort thresholds.... etc...etc...

There really isn't a right answer....just what people have done that think will apply in your case

What you said is what I've seen thus far. So, thats pretty much dead on to where I'm coming from. Move up the loop when Hurricane season starts, and work up and back down before Christmas/cold weather sets in? More or less of course, nothing at this point is set in stone. Or heck, maybe not even go all the way around, just during the season of storms then come back out.

Oh geez, yeah. Insurance is a huge set of questions that I have been burring my head in the sand about. So far, I've gotten soooo much differing information, most of it NOT good information. Thats going to take a whole bunch of research and even calling around. Part of that insurance equation too, is how much experience I can get BEFORE going down there. So yeah, thats one topic I'm not interested in even having. LOL!!:lol:

Watched a video that showed what NOT to buy when looking at a boat, and it mentioned the disproportionate price of a boat vs new. So I went and looked at new trawlers, and... Yeah, the ones I'm looking are are NOT close to the price of new. So am I being unrealistic in thinking 200k is possible?

Greetings,
I was just about to guess a bird that identified as a dog...

iu

I initially chalked it up to a misspelling but after a few mentions, I realized I just wasn't in the know

Boat search

Good luck in yr search for yr 'new' vessel. Fyi- check out my adv here in the classified, boats for sale section= 1986 43' Albin Classic? She was a MI boat the first third of her life. We got her in FL. Traveled both coasts of FL, the keys, Bahamas and then up the Atlantic ICW. LOVED it !

Thank you everyone. Started finding updated Live Aboard video's on Youtube to watch, found one with really good approximation to our target life style, and the boat as well. I have to say, I'm more confident that its not as much of a pipe dream as I had initially thought.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom