Old 09-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #41
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Nope...you suggested 30 knots.

So you are going around a headland in rough conditions but no wind.
OK then.
Sorry for the misunderstanding

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #42
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
So you are going around a headland in rough conditions but no wind.
OK then.
Sorry for the misunderstanding
You should try Devastation Channel in a moderate north wind.

Wind comes from two directions due to mountain and channel shape, then bounces off an island cliff becoming four wave sets, which bounce off another cliff. Seas stack up until they can't hold together any more, then the tops explode in spray. There are other examples in the Douglas Channel system, but why bother...

Old 09-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #43

City: Santa cruz
Vessel Name: Classic lady
Vessel Model: 1980 Albin
Pto

We recently purchased a 1980 albin 36
And it has a PTO off the generator with hydrolic lines to the prop shaft just aft the tranny. Connects to the shaft via belts.
We have yet to explore it but seem like a reasonable idea.
Delfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #44
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
I have a similar setup as Murray, matter of fact, Murray gave me the dimentions and I had one built. I used a 9.9 HighThrust Yamaha. Our boat is 28 feet Water line. and weighs in aroung 12-13000 #. By GPS this set up will push our boat at 3/4 throttle, 4.5 knots in calm condition. The motor was a long shaft (Now I have a 8 hp Honda replacing the Yamaha) The Honda is also a long shaft. I have used the set up in 20knot SE wind which means a hell of a chop. I am able to run into head winds and yes, at about 3.5 knots yet, I can use the main steering of the trawler as well, the auto pilot will react to the OB power as it should, so while on Auto, one can deal with addressing the ills of the main, given parts and correct tools.
I recently posted a incident where our oil cooler failed making us deal with bailing oil out of a container under the hot engine and adding makeup oil, After a couple of stops to accomplish this, we became smarter, dropped the inflatable off the swin step, swung out the 8 hp Honda, fired it up and when we stopped the main to address the oil loss issue, the Honda fired up and continued a homeward bound trip.
As to fuel. the Honda has a 6 gallon tank, at 3/4 throttle, we can move along at 3.5-4 knots at a gallon per hour estimate, so mybe 20 NM, However, we have a Honda Gen set and the spare gas for it is 2.5 gallon jug and we carry a spare 5 gallons up under the flybridge storage. so we could make a conservative 40 plus miles need by.

Like Murray, implys or so I interpert, were those of you scoffing at the idea of a "Git-a-home" OB for what ever reason or setting up strawmen objects to overcome in theory,
I'd say that given the opportunity, I would be the first to offer you a tow. even if you are 60 feet in length and I am a mere 28, I'd put my 85 hp main to the task with the same energy as I would my 8 hp Honda in a like situation on my own.

Cheers,
Al-Ketchikan ( I wear both belt and suspenders- One is a 'Git-a-Home' for the other.)
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:13 PM   #45
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Hi, Al

Good to know your kicker worked as planned
Old 09-15-2019, 02:12 AM   #46
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfini View Post
We recently purchased a 1980 albin 36
And it has a PTO off the generator with hydrolic lines to the prop shaft just aft the tranny. Connects to the shaft via belts.
We have yet to explore it but seem like a reasonable idea.
It does.
On the plus side, it solves several issues, it uses existing power generation,has no exposed outboard, no need to carry the alternative to diesel fuel.

On the minus side,by using the existing shaft it would not help in the event of shaft or prop disablement.
Maybe there is no perfect solution, other than a wing engine with shaft and prop, like Marty`s KK42 had.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:02 PM   #47

City: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtrawler View Post
We just purchased a 34 mainship in Sitka AK and we plan on bringing her home up to Homer AK in the spring. She has a single Perkins that runs great and is very similar to a Perkins we had in a 40 trawler 8 years ago. Im wanting to put a get home/ trolling kicker on her for the ride home. Any input on hp , make, steering integration. Im looking into a 25hp Yamaha high thrust and trying to get it with fly by wiring with a panther remote steering system. Any thoughts?
Did you ever end up doing this? I just got my mainship 34 as well and was thinking the same thing when I get to remote spots in the Bahamas next year.... I was thinking of removing part of the swim platform and mounting a brack in its place.
Thesaltyrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:29 AM   #48
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesaltyrudder View Post
Did you ever end up doing this? I just got my mainship 34 as well and was thinking the same thing when I get to remote spots in the Bahamas next year.... I was thinking of removing part of the swim platform and mounting a brack in its place.
How would you plan on fueling, deploying (your main engine is out, you are laying beam to the seas) and steering it? Have you calculated how much outboard horsepower you'd need to move the boat safely in a seaway? I think you'll find there is a reason you don't see this done on larger boats.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #49

City: Boston
No this is why I asked, but those thoughts have come up and this is what I have thoughts on, fueling from an external fuel tank from West Marine, I'd have a 10hp long shaft outboard and from what I have heard and read dinghys can push this size boat a few knots just tied off. As for deploying I would have already had a transom bracket installed such as a panther bracket. As for steering I have a rudder which should have some effective use once water is flowing over the surface.... The idea for this is to deploy and use to get into somewhere to anchor and wait for a tow even with minimal headway and avoid obstacles in a pinch. Not trying to tackle real open water.

Thoughts?

Thesaltyrudder is offline   Reply With Quote