They Have Got To Be Kidding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Modern cars can be a bit harder to diagnose if you approach them with an old school mentality. But if you have the right tools and a copy of the service manual, you can do a lot, even on the complex cars. Just a matter of being able to ask the car what it thinks is wrong, or force some of the electronics to run a test that may let you see the problem for stuff that's not an obvious mechanical issue or needs calibration, etc. after the fix.

Coincidentally my daughter had an issue with her Chrysler 200 just last weekend.

It has a push button parking brake. It would disengage the brake. The car is programmed not to start if the brake is engaged. So she was stuck.

Thankfully her battery is accessible. So I told her to remove the negative cable, count to sixty and put it back on. She did and the button released the brake!

Must be a Ford thing..... My van batteries are under the (10 way adjustable heated) driver's seat. Fun and games.

Yes, a life support battery is a good thing.

Yes you can work on modern cars, it's just different than 40 years ago.

Like I said it can be done. Just different.

heh, the battery on my Porsche is also under the driver seat. Likewise using support power is strongly recommended for any service to it.

You're not getting today's mileage and performance figures without re-engineering a whole lot of things. The upside is there's a LOT more info online now.

Back in the day you were lucky if you had a Hanes manual, and a local parts shop that had a clue about the brand. Otherwise it was, literally, mail in a question to your marque's owners newsletter, or pray there was a phone number listed in a recent issue for the model expert. I once had a BMW subrfame shipped up via Greyhound bus service, after chatting with a guy in Louisiana. Took only a day to get to MD, and was dirt cheap compared to UPS at the time. I think the long distance phone charges were more than the shipping!

The battery in my Ferrari is under the........... oh wait, I don't own a Ferrari. Sorry.

If your son is uncomfortable with changing the battery after viewing that video I suggest some friendly encouragement.

VW has a long history of immoral behavior. Allowing Ignacio Lopez to steal and copy information from prior employers for their benefit being the primary offense in my estimation. Don't even ask about WWII.

There is very little that cannot be accomplished through the use of Youtube videos. Learning something new is actually more fun than the money you save.

While I agree with the notions of 'learning experience' there's a lot to be said for 'get it done now' vs adding yet another thing to a to-do list.

I'm all for having skills necessary to be self-sufficient, but I'm also fine with having a job completed quickly (and hopefully correctly) by paying someone that does it regularly.

I don't see it as an either-or, and wouldn't criticize anyone for choosing one method over the other.

I once had a vehicle (and I don't remember which one) that I drove to an auto parts store that does replace batteries, but they said they couldn't do it at risk of losing all electronics and having to get the car then towed to the dealer to even restart it. Was one of only a couple of brands they couldn't do. .

My guess is: that Maserati is really Wifey B's :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There are some maintenance things that I just don't bother to do anymore.

Believe it nor, oil changes are one of them. The 5.7 liter Hemi takes 7 quarts of synthetic oil at each oil change. I can have the dealer change the oil for less than it would cost me to buy 7 quarts of synthetic oil and a filter. It's also super convenient as the dealer shop is 10 minutes away and makes appointments for oil changes.

Jim

The battery in my Ferrari is under the........... oh wait, I don't own a Ferrari. Sorry.

If your son is uncomfortable with changing the battery after viewing that video I suggest some friendly encouragement.

VW has a long history of immoral behavior. Allowing Ignacio Lopez to steal and copy information from prior employers for their benefit being the primary offense in my estimation. Don't even ask about WWII.

There is very little that cannot be accomplished through the use of Youtube videos. Learning something new is actually more fun than the money you save.

I would find it really hard to encourage him to do this as I wouldn't! He is indeed getting an oil change "and some other things" taken care of at the same time.

I went to AutoZone a few months back to have a battery tested on a vehicle I was donating to The Salvation Army as it seemed to be going bad. It was, and they installed it for me.

I wonder if I took an Escape to AutoZone or Advanced Auto would they refuse to install it?

36 posts and no mention of two 6v batteries in series behind the seats on an older MGB? What a pain. I owned three.

For the last 15 or so years, my daily driver has two 12v batteries in series.

Apparently I am a slow learner.

And as far as VW history goes, a trip to the Tatra museum in Kopřivnice, Czechia is eye opening on where Porsche got most of his ideas for Type I Beetle. Tatra was an incredibly technologically advanced manufacturer before communism ruined them.

Well, "to change a battery or not"....

Our Advanced Auto store (and a few competitors) here will change the battery for you if you buy it from them. (and a bunch of other things.... wipers, etc).

I'll let them do it, but my mechanic has changed it at times, when doing something else at the same time so the cost is nothing.

Also, I could argue for a simple car. My old Chevy Suburban is easy to do any maintenance, no special key, virtually no computers that will kill the engine. Dirt simple and works.

Now, I could argue to add some safety features, like back up camera, warning when too close, etc.

If you think that's bad, ask anyone who owns a common-rail marine diesel engine about DIY fixing it. Yeah, the answer to a boater's prayer...not!

My guess is: that Maserati is really Wifey B's :rolleyes:

Wifey B: No, I'm the Porsche girl. I must admit though when we go on trips and take his car, I like driving it. :D

We bought them in 2012 and now have 30,000 miles on them. :lol:

As to Ferrari's, our friend Carmen has one and you know batteries are a problem when they have built in plugs for chargers to connect to. That's once you find it as some are in side of trunk and some in the footwell in the front, which is where hers is. Apparently their nearly $1000 battery doesn't last long. :)

If I was buying a sportscar today would be hard to resist the new Corvette. It has it's battery idiosyncrasies too. Battery under hood and several things to remove first but that's ok. However, can't get door open to get out if you're inside. :eek: Well, actually you can, there are door releases in the floor. Oh and some fancy automatic windows you have to reset after recharging or replacing battery. :ermm:

This was my hobby before boating started to take up all my spare time. Sold it, as it was being neglected.

A single 6v lead-acid battery, mounted in its own compartment behind the running board on the passenger side. Fairly easy to access to do wet-bulb checks of the cells or to add distilled water. Other than starting the engine (which I could also do with a crank), the battery didn't have much work to do. 2 x 32 candlepower headlamps, one tail lamp. Wipers were vacuum, clock was an 8-day windup, heat was piped in from the engine. "Air Conditioning" via a lever to open the cowl vent. There was a cigar lighter, but it didn't place much of a load on the battery because it never worked.

Engine access was fantastic!

I have purposely not mentioned the make/model/year, as I thought it would be fun to see if anybody recognizes it. A hint is that it was manufactured in upstate NY.

Attachments

• FR1.jpg
    FR1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 46
From western NY myself, I only know two major manufacturers. It is definitely not a Franklin, so I'm going to go with Pierce Arrow.

From western NY myself, I only know two major manufacturers. It is definitely not a Franklin, so I'm going to go with Pierce Arrow.

You were close, but not sure why you so quickly ruled out Franklin. It is, in fact, a Franklin! 1931 Series 153 DeLuxe. Manufactured in Syracuse, NY.

All the Franklin air cools I recall had a swept aerodynamic fake radiator.

Beautiful car. Aluminum coachwork?

All the Franklin air cools I recall had a swept aerodynamic fake radiator.
Beautiful car. Aluminum coachwork?

Yep. All were air-cooled. Radiators were fake, but on this model, the louvers automatically opened to enhance airflow after the engine reached a certain temperature. The "swept" radiator look didn't occur until 1933 (Olympic) and 1934 (with the V12). They went bankrupt in 1934. Coachwork on mine was, indeed, aluminum -- by Walker. Engine was mostly aluminum too.

I just dropped in so I don't know if it's been suggested but most auto parts stores where I live will do it for free if you buy your battery from them, ie Auto Zone, Advanced, O Reilly, etc.

I fail to see the Wow! factor. Fairly straight forward procedure removing a few snap on parts. My wife's Focus is similar. 20 minute procedure at most. But then again I have never been termed a "snowflake". Or go to Walmart and buy their battery. They install it for free.

If your son thinks this is "quite complicated" and would rather have someone else do it, he should probably not ever buy a boat.

M

For everyone pointing out free installs, it often reads "Most Brands" or something like that and you may find out it doesn't include yours, sometimes because of time and sometimes lack of equipment. Got refused by Autozone on Hyundai products because they couldn't keep the electronics connected and couldn't reset if they lost them.

makes me recall my VW bug with the lead acid battery under the back seat. How come we never blew up with the hydrogen gas and the marlboros?

Ahhh, good times!
makes me recall my VW bug with the lead acid battery under the back seat. How come we never blew up with the hydrogen gas and the marlboros?

In another thread on whether the market for larger recreational trawlers and cruisers would survive long term, I mentioned that my biggest concern isn't the market or economics -- it's the decline in general mechanical resourcefulness of future generations. Yes, lots of systems are far more complex now, and the days when I replaced the heads in my 1974 Nova SS are long gone, but I think there's a sharp decline in average mechanical ability lately. I try to nudge my sons (10, 12) into learning basic mechanics all the time and doing tasks and projects with me but they have very little patience or interest.

The air conditioning was getting warm in my Cadillac Escalade a few weeks ago, so I figured it needed a recharge. I took it to Carl Titze's auto shop here in Sioux Falls, a nondescript place behind a trucker's restaurant on the north end of town. I only found out about his shop through word of mouth from the janitor in my office building. Now of course everything on an Escalade is $9,000 to repair, but Carl opened the hood, took a broomstick, pressed against the A/C condenser and it blew cold again. He removed one washer about as big as a dime and re-tightened it, worked great. Charged me $20. That's what's disappearing (and Carl may have never set foot on a boat in his life but he's the kind of guy I'd want on my boat).

Your AC compressor clutch friction disc is worn out. Removing the washer just accounted for the wear, but in my experience, what little friction material is left will probably wear fast, start to slip, heat up, and fail from overheating in a year or less. Might want to start looking for a new clutch for it now. I don't think the clutches are typically sold by the car dealer (they want to sell you the whole compressor) but you can usually find them online by searching with the brand and model of the compressor. They are often very easy to change and do not require opening the refrigerant lines. They are usually pretty cheap too. Save the washers form the old one, might need them to fine tune the clutch gap on the new one.

Wow!

Gone are the days when all you had to worry about was RED and BLACK.

Even though it says Ford, the Escape is a Mazda rebranded to Ford... So thank Mazda for that!

I believe it was a Chevy Monza that required dropping the engine to do a plug change.

mmmm, no. My Monza was an I4 - Iron Duke. I changed the plugs every 30,000 miles for six years. I'd still have it, if the body hadn't fallen apart.

My 2006 Chrysler 300 had the battery in the trunk.

PT Cruiser required removal of right front tire to do an oil change.:banghead:

Quite a few Chrysler cars have it mounted under the front left fender, requiring removal of the front left tire and the inner spray shield to swap the batteries.

Back
Top Bottom