Sad day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt.Will

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea'esta
Vessel Make
89 36'GB Europa
Sad day. Prince Philip passed away.
When I was in the Canadian Navy back in the late sixties our ships crew
was on parade for the Prince. First time for me to meet someone of such stature, after the ceremony he joined our Crew for a few pints in our mess,
We sat and he told some jokes and stories for at least two hours.
He will be missed by many,

Stay safe Will

Agree with you Will. However, he did live a long and full life. He was only about 2 months from his 100th birthday.
My thought and best wishes are with the Royal Family.

And what he really wanted to do was be a naval officer. Too bad about what marriage duties did to that wish.

RIP. I hope someone was able to capture those stories in a book.

I feel a bit sad, even though I never met him, he has just been there all my life. He and Elizabeth married the year I was born. At primary school, when I was 5, we went to the movies to see the coronation. A couple of years later, when they visited NZ, we (my family) watched them drive by in an open car, over the Karapiro Dam, on 1st Jan. 1954. I turned 7 yrs old 2 days later. He will indeed be missed. :flowers:

I have great admiration for Elizabeth and Phillip. Unfortunately all things, good and bad , must come to pass some day. I think most people do not understand the sacrifices asked of the royal family. I have always wished that they could be my royal family and I suspect in some private way they are. My sincerest condolences to all of them.

Apart from, maybe in contrast to, performing his duty to Queen and country, was his off beat sense of humour and light hearted disrespect for political correctness. An impressive ability to put people at ease, a merry twinkle in the eye, an great communicator. He visited Australia 21 times, with and without the Queen, and was much respected. Not everyone likes the Monarchy, even in its modest present form, but few lack respect for Prince Philip and of course, The Queen.

Aside from my admiration and respect for the Queen and Prince for their discipline and diligence and sense of duty over decades, if I were to ever have dinner with any of them, or a long hard sea crossing, or stuck for the weekend in a cold Scottish castle with a good bottle of something, I would have chosen Prince Phillip in a heartbeat. Another rare member of a generation we won't see again.

...if I were to ever have dinner with any of them, or a long hard sea crossing, or stuck for the weekend in a cold Scottish castle with a good bottle of something, I would have chosen Prince Phillip in a heartbeat....
That, right there, sums up how many of us feel I think... :thumb: ? :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom